Home Main Category General Firearms

Winchester White Box 147gr. FMJ ammo

AntonioAntonio Senior MemberPosts: 2,650 Senior Member
Local importer is bringing those for the 1st. time (Until recently such bullet weight was considered "military ammo")....any personal experience with FTF and other issues when using these truncated-cone rounds in semiauto pistols? (Specially Beretta 92Fs, Sigs and Glocks).

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,639 Senior Member
    I have not.

Shot very few of the 147 gr, but, have shot enough truncated cone in 115 grain.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    Antonio wrote: »
    Local importer is bringing those for the 1st. time (Until recently such bullet weight was considered "military ammo")....any personal experience with FTF and other issues when using these truncated-cone rounds in semiauto pistols? (Specially Beretta 92Fs, Sigs and Glocks).

WWB is considered by many in the shooting world to be the base line of ammunition quality. It works and is sized right and goes bang nearly every time. It isn't known to be a real consistantly powerful load, just "meh" but it should work in anything that accepts ammunition of that weight. Good practice ammo.

IMHO

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,298 Senior Member
    I like it enough in .45ACP 230 grain JHP to use it for carry ammo. Never had a failure to fire with it, or any other problems. Never chronographed it, but it makes big deep holes in wet soaked magazines and newspapers.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Needs a Taurus PT-92 then
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    I've shot the 45 ACP and the only other I have shot was some .22-250 Remington that I shot in my model 700. They were 40 grain listed at 4,000+ FPS. They shot ok but nothing to write home about. The .45s shot fine.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    WWB 147 gr .45 acp ???????
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,538 Senior Member
    It's quality American made factory ammo. Buy it up. Enough said. It will shoot reasonably accurate in most guns. It's not benchrest, obviously.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,677 Senior Member
    I also have had very good luck with it. Can not remember a FTF with it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Every 9mm I own shoots closer to POA with 147 grain ammo. I practice with it whenever I can find it locally, and I order 147 grain SD ammo for carry. I also reload it, when ammo prices are out of sight, or there are shortages. As for WWB ammo, I have used thousands of rounds of .45 ACP and 115 gr. 9mm, and it is good practice ammo. I also buy the WWB hollow points in .45 ACP, whenever I can find it, and use it for carry ammo. It is cheap and still expands properly, so I can rotate it often without breaking the bank.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,650 Senior Member
    Thanks for the inputs guys.

Reason I was asking is because manager of local importer (Friend of mine) literally has to catch literally whatever Winchester is able to deliver him at the time his import/export order is placed, and since 147 is no longer legally considered as "military ammo", he might have bought it to complement the usual 115gr. lot.
    Since lots of his customers are cops (They usually have to buy their own ammo :angry:) and they tend to buy the cheapest available option, it's very important to know if it'll perform properly in their duty & personal weapons, that are Beretta 92Fs, Sig P-2022s and Glocks 19s & 17s. because of coming "out of their pocket" it's doubtful that they'll practice with this "new" ammo to ensure 100% reliability, and probably they'll end up knowing in the worst possible way: Facing a shootout with criminals.

Won't be using them myself; all of my 9mm. pistols are WWI & WWII German relics, along with a 1939 Russian Tokarev with a replacement 9mm. barrel (7.62 Tokarev isn't imported here), and only feed WWB 115gr. FMJs in them, per an advice in many articles by many collectors who shoot them (With the excellent reliability stated; Sig Sauer ammo of the same kind also shows the same performance, unlike Remington, Federal & S&B).