Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Mossberg Shockwave Being Questioned

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,324 Senior Member
Here in NC some dealers are not selling them because a few groups are questioning if they are legal under North Carolina General Statutes ... kinda like California's "approved" list thing limits in that state. The Attorney General (a liberal one too) is even sticking his nose in it and will issue his interpretation in a week or so.

Now in Oregon the Governor Karen Brown has blocked the sale of them ... https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/the-purchase-of-mossberg-590-shockwave-and-rem-tac-14-is-now-being-blocked-in-oregon.247652/

Not that I wanted one but it looks like Mossberg might have a problem brewing on the horizon. Wonder how many owners could be screwed by some states saying the Shockwave does not meet state laws?
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

• 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    "Oregon State Police Firearms Unit began delaying the transfer of all. . . ." Must be that 1% I've been hearing about.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,732 Senior Member
    This is going to get interesting. Feds say no problem, states cry foul.......:popcorn:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,194 Senior Member
    Now I want one.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Now I want one.

The way Florida's statutes are written
    790.001 (10) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

... that "and any weapon // overall length of less than 26 inches" seems to say the Shockwave's overall length of 26 1/2" makes it barely legal under FL Statutes.

The North Carolina statute ... 14.288.8 (3)
    Any firearm capable of fully automatic fire, any shotgun with a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches, any rifle with a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches, any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not such firearm is included within this definition. For the purposes of

... that "... barrel less than 18 inches in length or overall length ..." that little word "OR" gives enough wiggle room for some liberal political leeway.

It is going to be interesting though. I don't want one so no skin in the game for me but it is another slice of the cake the gun control lobbyists want to take away.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,315 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. Who saw this coming?
    :sarcasm:

Me! Me! I did! I
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Me! Me! I did! I

I what?

Don't just leave
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,500 Senior Member

Yup. Seemed like a pretty foolish thing then, for the very thing we are seeing now. But I guess if you're trying to build a wedge with which to force the political issue, you gotta start somewhere.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member

That's what she said!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Pretty well saw it coming but now I want one. From a private seller though.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,944 Senior Member
    Texas is passing a law to make the Mossberg and Remington versions legal in the state by September, I believe.

Apparently, there is an old law on the state books that makes them illegal in the state. So, lawmakers are rectifying that and changing/replacing the law.

Or something to that regard.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I've resisted stock-less shotguns for a long time, but the prices have gotten down there pretty good, and I get a twitch when I look at them. I honestly have no use for them...but they are kinda cool.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,865 Senior Member
    I'm not sure what such a gun is for as long as one can own a reg shotgun and or a pistol/revolver. :uhm:

Someone please educate me
    gently
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Watch Hickok45 shoot one and tell me you don't want one (till you come to your senses).
    OK I do it now
    MEH----however a marine version to keep down corrosion and have it tossed in the boat box or as a truck gun
    could have some use for stationary critters like snakes you can't walk around; however, I just looked online and full sized were cheaper.

Please do not misinterpret; if it floats your boat have at it.

And thanks for responding.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    It's a Rube Goldberg design that accomplishes nothing of any real benefit over a riot gun with a shorty stock and a legal barrel length, and it's got the capability to smack the shooter in the face if it's handled just a little bit incorrectly. All that stupidity to shorten the barrel by a few inches? Count me out!
    Jerry
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,071 Senior Member
    It's a "lawyer gun," meaning it was conceived by lawyers to get around federal laws...kinda the opposite way gun design goes. I had a really short Ithaca in Vietnam; it kicked like hell and I carried it as a back up in my pack.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    IF I ever wanted something like this I'd just order a bird's head grip straight from Shockwave Technologies at $24.95 (they call it the Raptor Grip) and swap out the stick on my old 870 w/ 18.5" barrel. It would meet both barrel and overall length requirements of the Feds and NC regs and way cheaper when I figure out that it ain't for me I'm only out $24.95 plus shipping.
    - George Orwell
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    IF I ever wanted something like this I'd just order a bird's head grip straight from Shockwave Technologies at $24.95 (they call it the Raptor Grip) and swap out the stick on my old 870 w/ 18.5" barrel. It would meet both barrel and overall length requirements of the Feds and NC regs and way cheaper when I figure out that it ain't for me I'm only out $24.95 plus shipping.

A youth buttstock and the 18.5" barrel will be much more pleasant to shoot. Those quasi-pistolgrip stocks are painful to hang on to with anything above 7/8/1 oz. low brass promotional loads.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Its making waves.
    Shockwaves!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,407 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Texas is passing a law to make the Mossberg and Remington versions legal in the state by September, I believe.

Apparently, there is an old law on the state books that makes them illegal in the state. So, lawmakers are rectifying that and changing/replacing the law.

Or something to that regard.

Yep. The Shockwave is built in Texas... But not legal here. Yet.

Buddy of mine is buying one as soon as the law goes into effect. Its a gun just for grins and giggles.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    This is going to get interesting. Feds say no problem, states cry foul.......:popcorn:

Mostly liberal states I think.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    This shotgun is absolutely useless to me, but the legal precedent is not useless.

I hope the fight goes tooth and nail.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    zorba wrote: »
    Now I want one.

I don't want one, I don't think. I like something I can shoulder. But having said that, I can see it's quick handling. Maybe I'd just have to try one. But some of these guys on the internet, such as Hickok make it look appealing.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    If I was going to jump through all the paperwork hoops to own a short barreled shotgun, then it would be this one, or something similar. Much better ergonomics.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/01/12/origin-12-semi-auto-shotgun/
    ― Douglas Adams
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,658 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    If I was going to jump through all the paperwork hoops to own a short barreled shotgun, then it would be this one, or something similar. Much better ergonomics.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/01/12/origin-12-semi-auto-shotgun/
    Damn you Mike, :cuss:
    you just added something else to my list :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Damn you Mike, :cuss:
    you just added something else to my list :tooth:

Just doing my job of enabling! :rotflmao:
    ― Douglas Adams
    NN wrote: »
    I'm not sure what such a gun is for as long as one can own a reg shotgun and or a pistol/revolver. :uhm:

Someone please educate me
    gently

I tend to have the same reflex thought Ned. But then I think about one of the key operative words on this forum. The operative word is not Need, but Want! It's like shooting deer and elk with a rifle built as a pistol, like Ernie, Zee and a few are into. Does it make sense practically? Maybe not. Does it turn their crank? Hell yes! Well that's what counts on here. So I'll go to my corner and suck my thumb until somebody starts a thread about the virtues of the .270 Win. Yeah Right! My thumb getteth Sucked!!! For a long time!!!

:rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,658 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Just doing my job of enabling! :rotflmao:
    :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.