Got the RIA 10MM in...

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,287 Senior Member
I was finally able to pick up my RIA 10mm w/Trijicon RMR today. Initial inspection is favorable.

330f02f14c8a03f0fd4729d93cd9a0bf.jpg

The fit on this gun is AWESOME. In most areas it rivals my Springfield TRP. The trigger is a tad "mushy," but it's a $500 gun. The finish is nice, even parkerization.

fd1342caffbda414762e07df1f8aab96.jpg

Between the bull barrel and full length rail, this is a hefty gun. I'm curious to see how it tame the supposedly stout 10mm.

9d605265a953f04a1e90676072e5a3ef.jpg

0d9a3748170517a9749b0eedf9dbf00d.jpg

The Trijicon RMR is interesting. The blue tint throws me off, but it is light and more nimble than I expected.

899949b2e684eaffe32564c04c65f2a2.jpg

As a bonus, the 2 mags that came with it are Wilsons! I also ordered 2 Wilsons on my own for this gun, so I think I am set in the magazine department.

Overall I'm VERY impressed for the price point. I'm excited to get the gun to the range, hopefully next week.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,468 Senior Member
    Brother how can you be posting and not shooting right now. Yes you suck
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,419 Senior Member
    Lookin good, Congrats :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Most factory loaded range ammo is going to be on the weak side. 180gr bullet at maybe 1050 fps if you are lucky.

I do enjoy my 10mm 1911, but I just dont shoot it well (I dont shoot any 1911 very well). You should find that the gun tames things down a bit. Its also more a shove than a kick for recoil in my experience when it comes to 10mm.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,818 Senior Member
    Looks like a fine rig. The heavier build will definitely pay dividends.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,338 Senior Member
    That is quite nice.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,292 Senior Member
    You suck like a Hoover raping a Dyson! That is a purdy gun - and I like the grips. G10, I assume?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Serious looking hardware for that price.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,735 Senior Member
    Very Nice Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,308 Senior Member
    I upped the recoil spring weight (24#) on mine. I had to use a "commander" length replacement to fit their reverse plug arrangement.

I believe you'll be pleased with it. :yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,262 Senior Member
    Very cool! You suck!!!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,145 Senior Member
    Similar to mine but I have no rail. It is no that much more recoil than a stout .45. Congrats and enjoy.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,054 Senior Member
    I like that, congrats.

Sako
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,024 Senior Member
    I don't know, never shot a 10, but something tells me you will be happy with it. I do like what I see! Congrats!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,221 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,210 Senior Member
    My 10 mm DE is one of my favorites to shoot, just kinda expensive. A 24lb wolf
    spring and shock buffer calms the full house norma loans down quite a bit.
    Quite a fire ball in low light conditions.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,033 Senior Member
    Don't be surprised if you have some failures with factory ammo. Like has been previously mentioned, certain loads are on the weak side. You may have to find the sweet spot and stick with it.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 993 Senior Member
    Congratulations on a very nice acquisition. You will, enjoy the shooting versatility of the 10mm and the RIA brand has a great reputation along with a great price. There is a wide variety of ammo available from the weak to the stout. Hand loading is a good choice so you can practice at a lower cost than factory ammo and develop the perfect load for your use. If you get to the point of carrying for defense or as a nightstand gun, consider Double Tap ammo. They have a fantastic "Equalizer" round in 190gr. and 230gr. that is sure to peak your interest.
    The 190gr Equalizer give 14.5" of penetration with the forward projectile and 12.0" of penetration with the rear solid projectile giving two distinct wound channel with each shot. The increased speed of this lighter Equalizer load give greater expansion and a larger wound channel for a better stopping power.
    Enjoy your new "toy" and let us know how your range session goes. :beer:

What about two shots in one?
    A 135gr. JHP over a 55gr. harcast solid @ 1210fps. This load is VERY accurate and
    produces two holes on target. The solid hits slightly high every time - less than one inch
    from the JHP @ 10yds and 2.5" from the JHP @ 25yds

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : 190gr. two projectiles: 135gr. JHP and 55gr. hardcast solid

Penetration. Expansion. Damage. Power. Controllable.
    These are words used to describe the new 230gr. Equalizer from DoubleTap.

What about two shots in one?
    A 135gr. JHP over a 95gr. lead ball @ 1040fps. This load is VERY accurate and
    produces two holes on target. The ball hits high every time - less than one inch
    from the JHP @ 10yds and 2.5" from the JHP @ 25yds

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : 230gr. two projectiles: 135gr. JHP and 95gr. lead ball

Ballistics : 1040fps/ 553 ft./lbs. - Glock 20

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=303_301&limit=100
    “If gun control laws actually worked, Chicago would be Mayberry!"
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    like those grips,....well the whole gun looks nice.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    You suck like a Hoover raping a Dyson! That is a purdy gun - and I like the grips. G10, I assume?

They are "Operator II's" from VZ Grips. By far my favorite 1911 grip. My STI 9mm wears a pair and my Ruger and TRP will both ultimately get some.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,955 Senior Member
    I lllllllllllllike it!!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,955 Senior Member
    They are "Operator II's" from VZ Grips. By far my favorite 1911 grip. My STI 9mm wears a pair and my Ruger and TRP will both ultimately get some.

How do those grips differ from the stock TRP grips?
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,426 Senior Member
    Very nice! Awaiting range report........
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,257 Senior Member
    Outstanding Gump!

I'm lookn hard at getting an RIA 1911..... So many good reports and the prices will probably go up.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,288 Senior Member
    :yousuck:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton