Anytime we dry fire...

TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior MemberPosts: 6,045 Senior Member
Our dogs (2 little chihuahua mixes) freak out a little. One runs and hides, the other growls. Always thought that was a little odd.

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    Quit pointing the guns at them.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Quit pointing the guns at them.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    Our dogs (2 little chihuahua mixes) freak out a little. One runs and hides, the other growls. Always thought that was a little odd.

Could it be the negligent discharges? LOL
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Dogs are highly sensitve in ways perhaps even beyond human understanding.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,972 Senior Member
    I have known dogs that got cowered at the sight of a gun...they often associate the gun ( or other inanimate object) with something negative...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Any animal I have had, dog or cat, has reacted similarly to your experience. They have an uncanny intuition for what a firearm usually does when the trigger is pulled.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    yeah, my Labs start looking for a bird to retrieve.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,972 Senior Member
    All my bird dogs always lost their minds when we pulled out shotguns...." Is it time to go Dad! Is it?" My setter went wild when I showed her her hunting collar...and my Springer mysteriously started to behave when I showed him his collar remote control...on the other hand none of my dogs cared one way or the other about rifles, handguns, etc
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,331 Senior Member
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10255&d=1500352260
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,687 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    attachment.php?attachmentid=10255&d=1500352260

That meme (well, the original one...) was what I thought of the second I read the title.

Our two dogs (Rat Terrorists) lose their minds whenever the kid and I have nerf gun fights. Same with water guns. But they have no problem with Dry firing
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    Neighbors dog would look for what got shot
    dry fire or real tgt shooting.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    That meme (well, the original one...) was what I thought of the second I read the title.

Same here, so I popped over to memegenerator and created it! :devil:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    john9001 wrote: »
    yeah, my Labs start looking for a bird to retrieve.

Same with mine. I get a pellet gun out at the house and they'd go nuts. My yellow law that passed away a couple years ago was scared to death of thunder and fireworks. But a gun came out, and she go nuts looking for birds. Yellow lab would stand there, looking up in the sky for dove and waiting. Young chocolate lab get's too crazy, doesn't care to look up and just runs around barking if I don't shoot at something. Only problem is, the pellet gun is usually used for gophers and other nuisance pests. Hard to get the dogs to hold still so I can get a shot on a gopher before they scare it back in it's hole.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    Glad to know it's not just my dogs that respond. We didn't own firearms when we got them from the rescue, and from day one it has freaked them out a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,834 Senior Member

Don't you just love Neurotic dogs? Well I guess they're better than Neurotic people,

:rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,329 Senior Member
    Unless directly related them with a previous bad experience, they wouldn't be able to recognize the guns as dangerous objects as any other odd-looking, unusual thing in the hands of their owners, like an electric guitar or so; dogs are awesome animals but don't have the paranormal superpowers some people think they have. Probably they're scared from the combination of size, shape, smell and noise the dry-firing guns have, something that could be a quite normal reaction specially in such a nervous little animal as a Chihuahua is.

One of mine also dislikes the "click" of dry-firing or cycling of moving parts and quietly leaves the room; the other one doesn't like sharing the same resting space (Like the bed or a couch) with any rifle but couldn't care less about the noises they make or handguns, while the 3rd. one feels wary about any large object in the hands of any of us.
    Oddly, they're not scared at all from fireworks or loud, banging noises (And boy, the "natives" do LOVE noisy fireworks down here in the sub-tropics; used to like them too until I had to deal with a couple of screaming babies suddenly woke up by the explosions!), probably due to the fact that they're all rescued mutts literally picked up from the street by the wife, where a dog running scared from loud noises is sooner or later a dead ran-over dog, so you can say these 3 "passed the test".
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Both our Schnauzers leave the room when I start dryfire practice. Wife thinks they don't like the sharp snaps of the hammers or strikers falling.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I agree with your wife. Dogs have particularly sensitive hearing, specially in the upper spectrum of sound. I think that "strange" sharp metal on metal sound drives some of them nuts.

Let me tell you about the time I was practicing my finger cymbals in an upstairs bedroom with the window open. A dog, about a block and a half away, would howl when I played too close to the window! The cymbals make a sharp, metallic pinging sound that obviously carried to the dog...

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,347 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Dogs have particularly sensitive hearing, specially in the upper spectrum of sound. I think that "strange" sharp metal on metal sound drives some of them nuts.

Hmmmm- - - - -I wonder what frequency level would work on liberals?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Hmmmm- - - - -I wonder what frequency level would work on liberals?
    :uhm:
    Jerry

Anything masculine sounding.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 310 Member
    Anything masculine sounding.

THAT is funny right there!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,834 Senior Member
    I was reading the thread about the 800+ pound hog the guy killed with a 38. That dog in the story definitely had a right to be a little neurotic! He was stairing down an animal 100 times bigger than he was,

:yikes:.....:fan:.....:silly:

:rotflmao:...:rotflmao:...:rotflmao:...:rotflmao:...:rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.