Hog hunting with a .38

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,545 Senior Member
    There are some huge tracts of timber company land just west of Samson along with the Geneva State Forest and lots of creeks and drainages making that whole area a great habitat for deer and hogs. Escaped pigs will go feral pretty quickly and that thing probably lived in a pen on a farm a year ago.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Man oh Man, you could put a saddle on that thing.

I think I would keep a bigger firearm close to each door, front and back. I don't think I would want to face down a monster like that with anything smaller than my 9.3x62. But actually, in truth, I have found hogs usually very easy to kill. They have a large neck. and that neck contains a lot of nerves spread around a rather large area. A hit with a frangible bullet like a .243 will bring him down about every time. Not to say bullet placement isn't still important. You still have to hit vitals. Just means that you don't need a 460 WBY to bring down a hog.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    I just saw that story................3 shots with a .38 .............didn't say what gun or load used.

He can start Makin Bacon!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,727 Senior Member
    Guy should have done a postmortem and recovered the bullet, for Science!

Can you even enjoy eating a hog that big or do you have to ground up the whole works?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,545 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Guy should have done a postmortem and recovered the bullet, for Science!

Can you even enjoy eating a hog that big or do you have to ground up the whole works?

I'm thinking that a boar that big would be tough and taste gamey as hell.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    It's a "domestic pig" loose in the wild. Not going to taste that terribly bad as compared to a real wild pig of the same size. Which, is terribly unlikely.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    If he waited a day before bleeding it out, field-dressing, and getting the meat cooled, the taste will be a moot point- - - - -it will be too rotten to even process for sausage.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    If he waited a day before bleeding it out, field-dressing, and getting the meat cooled, the taste will be a moot point- - - - -it will be too rotten to even process for sausage.
    Jerry

This is what I was thinking. Besides, a big bore sucks. They stink. At least they do around here, no matter their coloration.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,836 Senior Member
    Get a backhoe and bury that nasty thing...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"