Help Pick a Long Range Scope

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 1,837 Senior Member
Likely purchasing a Ruger Precision Rifle for shooting paper and steel 300-800 yards. I've been looking hard at Vortex and Sightron options of the 50mm 6-24x flavor or maybe the 8-32x 56mm Sightron.

Recommendations? What's the best reticle?

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,046 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    Likely purchasing a Ruger Precision Rifle for shooting paper and steel 300-800 yards. I've been looking hard at Vortex and Sightron options of the 50mm 6-24x flavor or maybe the 8-32x 56mm Sightron.

Mainly paper?
    Any kind of potential comps in the future? If so, what kind?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    What's your budget and intended use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,837 Senior Member
    Mainly paper?
    Any kind of potential comps in the future? If so, what kind?

Potentially, but I primarily shoot paper and steel informally just for fun. Not a lot of moving around.

That said, a reticle that I can range with if needed would be handy. I don't want the reticle to obscure the target though.
    What's your budget and intended use?

Roughly $800-1000. See above.
    Sightron S-III 6-24 or 8-32 with the reticle in the SFP.
    They make a MOA reticle for ranging or you can go with a MIL reticle for ranging.
    Both will range just as good. MOA is a finer than MIL though
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,613 Senior Member
    Ernie did a great job with his recommendations already, I thought I would just add some food for thought.

The RPR is quite a decent rifle, I recently qualified someone at 1000 yards after he showed up with his RPR in 6.5CM. That caliber is impressive, to say the least, but it is not suitable for F-TR competition. The OP did not specify the caliber he was contemplating for his forthcoming RPR, or I missed it. Anyway, I got the old geezer with his 6.5CM RPR on target, even though he had a MIL reticle. I had to do some conversion to figure out the required come-ups. The factory Hornady ammo he used was very good and I had him on target within a few rounds and hitting the black aiming spot reliably at 1000 yards. That's 44 inches in diameter. He had a Schmidt Und Bender 5-25X 56 as a scope.

If you're going to shoot steel and paper at a range, I would not bother with a ranging reticle. It's much better to twist the dials and shoot using the same size reticle all the time. On the other hand, if you have any aspirations about competing in PRS at some point, a first focal plane ranging reticle is de rigueur. If you don't think you will want to play in those games, then don't bother with that. If you want to do some NRA competitions, like MROS or F-Class, a nice SFP will be perfect for that.

The Vortex and Sightron offerings are excellent for your price range and purposes, but I will also suggest you give the Nikon Monarch 5 a quick glance. These scopes have ED glass and the 6-24X50 is right around $900. I have recommended the Monarch 5 to several people and they have raved about the glass. It's almost unique in the industry to have ED glass in a scope under $1500 or more, but since Nikon invented ED glass, I guess they found a way to make it available for less money.

I believe the Ruger RPR comes with a 20MOA canted rail, which is something you definitely want if you're going to 800 yards with some of these scopes. I applaud Ruger for doing that.
    Sightron S-III 6-24 or 8-32 with the reticle in the SFP.
    They make a MOA reticle for ranging or you can go with a MIL reticle for ranging.
    Both will range just as good. MOA is a finer than MIL though

Thanks. So this would be your recommendation?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N3QBVM/ref=dp_cerb_1
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    Leupold VX-3i LRP would be my choice in your price range. IMO, Vortex priced themselves out of their own market with the significant price increase on the PST II line.

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Thanks. So this would be your recommendation?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004N3QBVM/ref=dp_cerb_1

Yes, one of them.
    I have 4 or 5 of those scopes

Haven't used any of the VX-3i's enough to have an opinion yet
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,855 Senior Member

Depends on what you want to do with this set up. If you want to hunt, I would go for the 6-24x56. You can find your target quicker with it over the 8-32. When punching paper, unless you're in competition you have the luxury of time for target acquisition. Also, if you're going to spend the money anyway, I would definitely think about a similar Night Force. I think it's a better scope. This is JMHO.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Chambered in 6mm Creedmoor by the way.
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Ernie did a great job with his recommendations already, I thought I would just add some food for thought.

The RPR is quite a decent rifle, I recently qualified someone at 1000 yards after he showed up with his RPR in 6.5CM. That caliber is impressive, to say the least, but it is not suitable for F-TR competition. The OP did not specify the caliber he was contemplating for his forthcoming RPR, or I missed it. Anyway, I got the old geezer with his 6.5CM RPR on target, even though he had a MIL reticle. I had to do some conversion to figure out the required come-ups. The factory Hornady ammo he used was very good and I had him on target within a few rounds and hitting the black aiming spot reliably at 1000 yards. That's 44 inches in diameter. He had a Schmidt Und Bender 5-25X 56 as a scope.

Now that dude had a good scope. You don't beat a S Und B.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »

Now that dude had a good scope. You don't beat a S Und B.

Actually, you can. But it all depends on what you plan to do with the riflescope and the rifle. When I was shopping for a replacement for my Nightforce NXS, I looked at S&B and finally settled on March with ED glass. S&B Only had a 5-45X56 and I wanted more magnification and no FFP. Plus the reticles they offered were useless to me. As I said, it's all about what you want to do with the equipment.

Anyway, these riflescopes are way above the OP's price point and stated goals. Sorry for the bifurcation.
    Chambered in 6mm Creedmoor by the way.

Excellent. I didn't know they came in 6CM. I went to look and they now come in .223/5.56 also albeit with a shorter 20 inch barrel.

I look forward to hearing about how it performs in 6 CM.
    Yes, one of them.
    I have 4 or 5 of those scopes

Haven't used any of the VX-3i's enough to have an opinion yet

Talked me into the SIII 8-32 x 56 MOA2.

I'm thinking Seekins Precision 1.26" rings. Any better / cheaper options I should consider?
    "I will also suggest you give the Nikon Monarch 5 a quick glance. These scopes have ED glass and the 6-24X50 is right around $900. I have recommended the Monarch 5 to several people and they have raved about the glass. It's almost unique in the industry to have ED glass in a scope under $1500 or more."

Peg's comment above has created some curiosity for me about this scope.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    I screwed up it's a 6-30X50, not a 6-24X50. It's $946 at SWFA. They have 5X zooms.
    "I will also suggest you give the Nikon Monarch 5 a quick glance. These scopes have ED glass and the 6-24X50 is right around $900. I have recommended the Monarch 5 to several people and they have raved about the glass. It's almost unique in the industry to have ED glass in a scope under $1500 or more."

Peg's comment above has created some curiosity for me about this scope.

I'm by no means an expert on anything that shoots over 1,000 yards but I have a Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x56MM. It's ok but I've got scopes I paid way less for that are as clear or more so. I've got two 6-18x40 Nikon Buckmasters that are very clear and cost me well under $400.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,653 Senior Member
    I'm not a long range shooter and don't buy expensive scopes, so I am easily impressed by good lenses. I did buy a 6-18x40 Nikon Buckmaster, for under $400, to practice at 300 yards with, using my 'varmint' AR-15 (20" heavy barrel). I was impressed to discover that I could clearly see the .223 holes in the target at 300 yards (sunny day, white paper, very little heat shimmer). I've been told that the cross-hair is too thick for longer range shooting, but have not found it to be a problem at 300.
    In the last several years, the high end scopes have all brought in ED glass of some form. There are only a few companies who make ED glass and Nikon was the one who invented the stuff. All my Nikon DSLR lenses have ED glass. Canon used fluorite glass in their very top end lenses, but fluorite glass is fragile, affected by temperature changes and very expensive. That works fine with camera lenses but not riflescopes.

Recently, Nikon introduced Super ED and sure enough the very top-end scopes started using that, for example the March-X High Master series features Super ED.

In the long range competition game, if you're buying a top end scope, you don't even consider scopes that do not have ED glass. A few years back, I upgraded from my Nightforce NXS 12-42X56 to a March-X 5-50X56 and the main feature I wanted was ED glass. ED glass virtually eliminates color fringing (chromatic aberration) and just makes for a sharper, crisper picture. The rings on the F-class target are now much more crisp and this makes it easier to be very surgical in placing the dot of my MTR-2 reticle exactly where I want it to be.

Interestingly enough, ED glass first started in camera lenses as a substitute for fluorite glass because of the latter's fragility and price, but now with digital post-processing of images, the ED is not as critical as all that is fixed in PP. On the other hand, spotters for birders and riflescopes for shooters now benefit from the availability of ED glass. I'm still in shock that Nikon has the Monarch 5 with ED glass at those prices, but if anyone could do it, it was Nikon.

So when people ask about a long range riflescope for not too much money, I suggest a look at the Monarch 5 series. They have their limitations, such as a 1inch tube, so not as much adjustment range, but with a 20MOA ramp, who cares? Three years on, I still love the image in my March-X scope with ED glass.
    Got a pile of stuff ordered. It's been a spendy couple of days getting into a new caliber.
    Got a pile of stuff ordered. It's been a spendy couple of days getting into a new caliber.
    Always glad to enable
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"