Thinking ahead to the next one

TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior MemberPosts: 6,135 Senior Member
I'm thinking a revolver of some sort. I "was" almost certain it would be a .45 Colt to compliment the 1873 carbine. The question was to go Ruger, or Uberti.

Since Yoda Jedi mind tricked me into getting a bolt gun, and I picked a .22, I'm sorta diggin the 22LR. I have the option to swap barrels in that rifle to shoot 22WMR and 17HMR. In fact, I've already started to stock up on both cartridges, even though I have nothing to shoot them in.

Zorba taking about his wife buying the 22 revolver has me thinking that a rimfire revolver might be pretty cool.

So, anyone shooting 22WMR in a revolver? Fun to shoot, or stick with something like a Single Six? I know Ruger also makes the convertible, and I know nothing about either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,128 Senior Member
    If you want to shoot .22 and .22WMR, the Ruger Single-Six is the ticket, one of my favorite guns as well as my sons.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,147 Senior Member
    Ruger SS6, first pistol ever bought and still love it!! Although I don't shoot the magnums much!
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Check out a Bearcat.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,810 Senior Member
    Shooting a 22 mag revolver can get expensive.....I do have one and it is one of my best shooting revolvers.
    It a S&W model 48 but it doesn't get used much at all.
    what gets used are the 22LR ones
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 20,160 Senior Member
    I'm thinking a revolver of some sort. I "was" almost certain it would be a .45 Colt to compliment the 1873 carbine. The question was to go Ruger, or Uberti.

Now's the time:

http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?33709-I-d-order-this-45-Colt-Ruger-Blackhawk-right-now-if-the-BBL-was-longer
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »

I was thinking of doing that too Zorba............but I'm a nice guy : )
    way to crank up the heat on the poor guy
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,371 Senior Member
    I like my old model Single Six a lot; it's a blued, 6+" barrel with both cylinders that's as accurate as I can let it to be even with bulk ammo. As most users of this gun, due to ammo availability, prices and use (Plinking & small game hunting), it seldom if ever sees the .22WMR cylinder installed in it. Middel one in the pic:

If so, accuracy is good with if I properly recall, POI a tad lower than when using LR ammo; kick as mild as with a .22LR and noise loud, almost close to a .32S&W Long or even a .38 Special. Got this one when they were SCARCE and was the only available around, but if buying one today, I might rather go for a stainless steel model with the same or maybe 4" barrel length.

My usual small game hunting combo is a .22LR CZ-455FS and either the Single Six with the same ammo as the rifle (Usually Winchester Xpert22) or sometimes a MkIII Target; I imagine your choice for a multi-caliber rimfire rifle is one of those Czech-made guns and all I can say is that our local experience with them has been excellent, although some very light tinkering might be needed to reach their true potential (They're still very good shooters out-of-the-box).
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,390 Senior Member
    I think ALL Ruger SS .22s are convertible. I looked for a new one in .22 LR and couldn't find one.

I'm not a big fan of the .22 Mag. Too much for small game, too little for medium sized game out of a handgun. And expensive.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,003 Senior Member
    I would consider the Blackhawk .45acp/ 45 colt convertible
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,423 Senior Member
    I have the Colt Frontier Scout with both cylinders but mostly shoot 22 lr with it and also have the single six with 22 mag cylinder only, have hunted squirrel with it. I do enjoy shooting it. I haven't shot much since the move from California but am getting set up and will be able to start shooting more soon.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,135 Senior Member
    OK, now I'm back to thinking about .45s...and .223 bolt guns.

Read a little last night on the differences between Redhawks and Blackhawks. All that did was make me think I need a .44!

Damn why did I wait til 50 to start buying guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,169 Senior Member
    The .22 WMR is pretty high on my list of "WHY?" cartridges - expensive to feed and can't reload it. The convertibles generally have a reputation for shooting well with the WMR (which fits the bore) and poorly with the LR (which doesn't).

I'd be a lot more inclined toward a double action SP-101 or Smith 63 and hang the .22 Mag.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,091 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    If you want to shoot .22 and .22WMR, the Ruger Single-Six is the ticket, one of my favorite guns as well as my sons.

I have a Single Six with both cylinders. Love it, but I rarely shoot the .22WMR cylinder. Although shooting 22WMR is fun, the 22LR offers the same fun at significantly lower cost.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    That dude on the Mountain Men TV show (Rich) uses his dogs to run and tree mountain lions. He sometimes climbs up the tree a little and bangs things to make noise and scare them off ranchers property and far enough away from their livestock so they will stay away. I dunno what he shoots the ones with when he does.

I remember a gun mag article years ago when a writer (Bob Milek) used his Ruger SS with .22 Mag to take one (treed).

.22 Mag ammo has always cost more, maybe 4 or 5 bucks when .22 LR was $1 or so. It reigned king of the rimfires for many years far as velocity and bullet weight goes. Still a lot more expensive @ what 12-15 bucks a box of 50. These days they have 45 grain all the way down to 30 grain ammo that zips along at over 2000 FPS with bullet styles that only used to be make for center-fire rifles.

Not for everybody and certainly not something to take to every range visit, but it has its uses.

http://www.mcarbo.com/22-wmr-ballistics-chart.aspx

Comparison in handguns Ruger SS with 9" and NAA Mini revolvers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XitMlki0t0k

I love the smell of burnt .22 Mag powder............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I own 2 guns in or I can fire .22 Mag outta. A Marlin model 883 12-shot tube fed bolt rifle from 1995 with a big rifle looking stock and my NAA .22/.22 Mag revolver.

I had a Heritage combo that actually shot very good and like a fool I traded it fer that Llama .22 revolver the frame cracked on 2 SE Shoots ago.

Always keeping my eye out for a deal on another. Not sure I'd want a dedicated one like a Ruger Single 9 only in .22 Mag or not. Combo makes sense for most folks, but as stated accuracy may vary and favor the .22 Mag.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Where 22mag out performs 22lr is when penetration is needed. The 40gr fmj CCI maxi mag is a deep seek drill.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Like oft said, you get .22 LR fired from a rifle performance from a .22 Mag outta a handgun.

And from a rifle is where the .22 Mag really shines over a .22 LR

Not for everyone. Been around since 1959-60 and will be for a long time to come.

The .22 Mag has more velocity and muzzle energy @ 100 yards than a .22 LR at the muzzle, when both are fired from a rifle with a 22" bbl.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,371 Senior Member
    OK, now I'm back to thinking about .45s...and .223 bolt guns....

Check the CZ 527; some variants to choose from, but I'd go for the FS.
    cpj wrote: »
    Factory ammo? Ewwww! Gross!

Now, quit derailing this thread in which the OP is asking about which .223 bolt gun he should buy.

Or back to which .22 Lr revolver.
    A K 22 or model 17
    Notice anything odd Saco ?

And buy that 17 HMR barrel