What caliber upper?

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 5,732 Senior Member
So, thanks to a very generous member here I recieved the parts I needed to complete my stripped lower into a complete lower. Now I'm on he fence on what caliber to get/build the upper. I was origionally thinking .556 but now after chatting with my gunsmith friend that has a 16" 300 blackout barrel he will sell me for $50. I do like the possibility of "tinkering" with a 300 to find a load. A 556 it's load and go, and pretty straight forward. What say you gents, and lady.
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,829 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    So, thanks to a very generous member here I recieved the parts I needed to complete my stripped lower into a complete lower. Now I'm on he fence on what caliber to get/build the upper. I was origionally thinking .556 but now after chatting with my gunsmith friend that has a 16" 300 blackout barrel he will sell me for $50. I do like the possibility of "tinkering" with a 300 to find a load. A 556 it's load and go, and pretty straight forward. What say you gents, and lady.

AK's are going for $550 or so these days new, can you get the .300 Blackout done for less than that? My comparison is due to the similar ballistics.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,732 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    AK's are going for $550 or so these days new, can you get the .300 Blackout done for less than that? My comparison is due to the similar ballistics.
    I have $93 bucks into the lower + $50 for the barrel+50 for a stripped upper another 40 for upper parts kit. Throw on some hand guards for another 40 for a set Magpul. I know I'm forgetting something.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,957 Senior Member

Unless you are planning to run a suppressor the .300 B.O doesn't do a thing for me....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Unless you are planning to run a suppressor the .300 B.O doesn't do a thing for me....
    After looking at Hodgdons site the 300 is on par with a 357 carbine. It would be kinda fun to have a semi auto 357 ish gun.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    Since I have a can on the way I am .300 BO curious. Let me live vicariously through you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    Since I have a can on the way I am .300 BO curious. Let me live vicariously through you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The SGS300 has a ring to it. :tooth:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    If you go .300BO and suppress it go all the way and SBR it. Also if you do suppress go with a Gas Buster charging handle.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    SIGgal wrote: »
    I decided to go with the 300 Blackout for my current build. Price of ammo and availability are a concern, and the 300 blackout is everywhere here. I still want to do a larger caliber like an ar10 or 458, but I have been thinking the 300 for a long time.
    I reload so ammo is not much of a concern.
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    If you go .300BO and suppress it go all the way and SBR it. Also if you do suppress go with a Gas Buster charging handle.
    I doubt I will ever suppress it.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,752 Senior Member
    Pretty hard to pick a caliber with no idea of it's purpose.
    Zee plays around with a 6mm one that might be fun
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Pretty hard to pick a caliber with no idea of it's purpose.
    Zee plays around with a 6mm one that might be fun
    I have a .223 I really like, for varmints and paper. The new 308 for LR steel, paper and possible goats. I think this would be a pure fun tinker gun. It might be pressed into service for HD.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    I have a .223 I really like, for varmints and paper. The new 308 for LR steel, paper and possible goats. I think this would be a pure fun tinker gun. It might be pressed into service for HD.

I will start off saying that I have no right to pee on anybody's parade as far as calibers go.I've got all manor of stuff and some of it is considered obsolete. I do think for an AR the .223 is what it was designed for. A .223 will kill all manor of small to medium game with the right bullet and good shot placement so if I get an AR that's what it will be. But like I said, I have no right to tell you not to try whatever blows your horn so go for it dude. That's what this place is all about.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    I have $93 bucks into the lower + $50 for the barrel+50 for a stripped upper another 40 for upper parts kit. Throw on some hand guards for another 40 for a set Magpul. I know I'm forgetting something.

I have the Magpul MOE furniture sitting around collecting dust. Yours if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,796 Senior Member
    It depends on your purpose for it.

The 5.56 is more aerodynamic and flatter beyound 150 yards, but produces less energy in the short range. It is cheaper to shoot and easiest to tune, however most of use agree it is not an ideal hunting caliber for larger game.

The .300 BO produces more energy in the short range and fires heavier bullets. It is far superior to a .357 carbine. It is important that you use lighter bullets if you intend for it to benefit from hydrostatic shock and bullet expansion, as it fires the 110 gr rounds about 2300 FPS and will bleed off energy quickly after 150 yards. Under 150 yards they have about the same trajectory as a 5.56 and the .300 BO has a bit more energy and leaves bigger holes. I would feel comfortable hunting anything under 250 lbs with it, as follow up shots are almost instant. With iron sights it makes an excellent stalking gun for a combination of sufficient close range power and ease of follow up. Make sure to get a fast twist to stablize heavier bullets. I shoot mine with 125 gr soft points.

Mine are sub MOA at 100 yards and I prefer them to my 7.62x39 for hunting.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
    I studied the 300 BO a lot before my last AR project, and decided that the only way it was even mildly interesting to me would be as a suppressed SBR. In my opinion, the only other logical chambering for an AR-15 in rifle configuration is a 6x45, which would give me a 100 grain .243 grain bullet at somewhat reduced velocity, but still very respectable, for a rifle. Of course, it is basically a wildcat, so you can't find factory ammo, but since my ARs have yet to fire a factory cartridge, is not much of a factor for me. Ease of reloading, i.e. not having to saw off the .223/5.56mm brass, is significant to me.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I've got a 22 Nosler barrel and a box of ammo I'll make you a deal on if you want more reach vs the 556.

The 300 seems really easy. You can always just build more uppers to swap around. Several members are having great luck with 6x45 uppers.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Without a suppressor the .300BO is just, meh at best. I am seconding the vote for 6X45.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,752 Senior Member
    I did one in 204 Ruger very happy with it.

dang that was a bit ago.

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0210-2.jpg
    I have the Magpul MOE furniture sitting around collecting dust. Yours if you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    pm sent.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,827 Senior Member
    Since you reload 6x45mm is your answer.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    Without a suppressor the .300BO is just, meh at best. I am seconding the vote for 6X45.

:agree:
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    458 SOCOM or 450 Bushmaster.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    cpj wrote: »
    You mean the farce that Nosler has come up with to fool suckers who can't read past an advertisement?

That be the one! I never got around to installing it, lost interest in pretty much anything AR related
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Reality check... You live in an area of the country where anything worth hitting with a .30 cal bullet is a zip code away... Just a thought, but unless your planned use is HD that .30 slug will be in the dirt before it reaches it's target unless you install grenade launcher sights on that AR...
    Now that's is funny! You are very correct I can see Wyoming from my dining room table, 17 miles. Ok,ok the caliber search is still ok.
    Wow, look at me being the voice of reason on something gun stuff..... who the heck knew I had that in me... I can't let my wife read this thread, she'll faint! :tooth:
    That being said the lowly 30-30 has piled up more game out west than you can you can imagine. Some at some good distance. I personally have taken a doe at 150 yards with a 30-30 with a tang sight. Bang,flop.
    Then by all means go build a mortar/AR and a $50 barrel deal is tough to pass up so why the heck not. For something "different" in your neck of the woods I'd go with the 6X45. I think that it would be a decent deer, goat and coyote rig.
    Something useful rather than a toy? Wow, who are you and what did you do with Wambli? I want answers!:tooth:
    I have plenty of "mortars" a more useful cartridge is probably the way to go.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member

Exactly. If you are going to artillery tables for aiming it better be for a .458 or better bullet.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

6x45

That should cover deer, goats, and yotes plus paper.
    Dang it. I'm going to have more in the barrel than the rest of the gun! Oh well.....