Individual and Hearst @ Perry...

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,494 Senior Member
OR
I cant read wind..

Didnt do awful in the individual, but not great. I was hoping to make it to the top 50% but that didnt happen. Mornings were light to no wind, afternoons the flags were standing out.

Score during individual was 85 off hand, down about 6 from avg, 95 rapid fire sitting, about avg (at 200) 97 rapid fire prone (300), about avg, and a 170 prone at 600, at least 10 off the average. I put in my 600 yard dope, added right windage, fired the first one as a miss low and left. OK, added elevation, and more windage, shot a 7, added more windage and popped a 9 then a 10, shot a 8 right, bleh. Kinda went like that first 10 were a 79, next 10 were a 91. 447-7X Not horrid for a first run at it, but not what I am capable of. If I would have shot my avg, I would have made the top half.

Ok that means I should have the crainal rectotomy complete for the team match right? Not hardly.

With my head firmly planted in my butt the next day I shot a freakin 83 off hand. Took me 5 rounds to stop doing stupid then I shot 4 10's and a 9. Moved back to 300, and I shot one of the best groups I ever have prone rapid easily covered by a CD............. in the 7 ring dead on 3 oclock. I had set my no wind zero and re-cased the rifle for the move back to 300. Didnt check it in prep time, apparently I rolled some windage on pulling it from the case. 2-8's and 8- 7's. At 600, I did a better read on the wind. The first was a 7 off to the left. Did a adjust and I racked up a 9 and 10, then the wind lulled and I went to the right for another 7. Took off windage and went back to a 9, then the wind picked up and I added a 8 or two. A 241-1X.

The bad is I didnt do well for me. I know that I wont be a top shooter, I dont have the time, but I didnt stay on my avg. The good is I got some real world wind shooting and I understood why I was messing up and was able to read what was going on, even if after the fact.

The son did OK for his first match with a AR. He shot a 417 and his 600 was 1 point off mine.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    Not a bad showing at all. I'm starting to get my ducks in a rock to shoot some HP when the temps drop.

Are you still running an optic? I'm very close to ordering a Leupold Custom Shop FX-II 4x33 with M1 turrets and Turkey Plex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,494 Senior Member
    Yep, first match with one. It a Leupold Mk AR. Its graduated in mils which was a little confusing at first but since .1 mils is .34 MOA its 1/3 MOA per click. Next match that I am shooting a AR in is the Marine Corps League match in Sept and its open sights only so I dug out the rear sight assembly. Need to sight that in.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    Cool. I'm going to shoot irons this fall and then experiment with optics. I'll probably just buy a new upper and go full **** with a Geissele MK7 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C