Thoughts about big game hunting rifles

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,506 Senior Member
Looking back on almost 70 years of hunting, If i could turn back the years, but knowing what I know as an old man, I would build 2 B G rifles, both on Win. M-70 CRF both would have 26" stainless barrels, either by Shilen or Krieger turned down to there # 1 contour, one would be a .280 AI with a 1:7 twist, the other a .338 Rem Ultra Mag. 1:10 twist, Barrels and actions finished with Brownells Teflon/Moly, stock M-70 triggers 2 -3 lb. pull. Both would wear top of the line scopes, probably Leupold in Burris -Align rings and bases. Stocks would be a top quality light weight composite, Pillars and bedded in Dev-Con steel epoxy with 1" recoil pads. No muzzle breaks.

Remember we are talking about hunting not target rifles. As far as accuracy is concerned both should be able to put 3 or 4 fast shots into 1". I have been fortunate to have been able to hunt from the Everglades to 9 other states in the lower 48 and almost every year in the Rocky's from 1958 to 2011, Canada, and every year for 14 years in Alaska.

So since I'm dreaming in the past, what 2 rifles would you build if you could or have hunted my areas ??

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Its difficult to imagine anything better than the two I already have. One is a Rem 700 mnt gun in 30-06 with Redfield Widefield 3×9 scope. I wish it had the bolt lock safety, but that's my only compaint. The other is a 1952 model 70 featherweight in 308win with a 4×9 Luepold.

I'll never go anywhere those two wouldn't fit perfectly. Be nice to have a Rem model 7 in 7mm-08 though for an ultralight.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,002 Senior Member
    The Everglades I would ideally hunt with napalm from an air-conditioned cockpit.:tooth:

Lately, I'm liking the Ruger 77 MKII mechanism a lot - CRF, a bolt locking 3-position safety, a trigger that's all I need in a hunting gun, and, unlike a Pre-64, it can be had in stainless.

So, a stainless short action in either .308 or .358 Win with about 20" of barrrel and either a 1.5-5 or 2.5-8.

And a stainless long action with 24" tube in either a fast twist .280 Rem with a long throat or .30-06 with a 4.5-14, 3-18, something like that.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,833 Senior Member
    First of all, I'd build me a .270 Winchester on a Remington Long action. I'd put a Timney Trigger on it and a thick pad. I'd put it in a nice laminate wood stock with Poly Urethane satin finish nd the metal would be bead blasted and blued. I'd put a 24 or 25 inch Krieger or Shilen Barrel on it with a medium contour. I also have the 7x57 on a Zastava long Commercial Mauser action. All I need is my gun smith to finish chambering it as it's already short chambered in 7x57. As I said it's a Commercial action so it has already been sporterized when it was built. It has a good trigger and a scope clearing safety, plus the bolt's already been bent to clear a scope and it's been drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

I already have a Mark V WBY in .300 Weatherby Mag. So don't need another magnum. I also have a nice Savage 110 pre Accu-trigger in 7 Rem. Mag. If what I already have counts. It's already got a Rifle Basix trigger on it. I've also got a 9.3 x 62 in an old model Ruger 77 for any large game. I've got a gun for all seasons already, but the two above would be in addition to what I already have.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    I'm young at 34, so I'll have to make some assumptions to take a stab at this.

Of all the calibers I like or fancy, I have to admit the two I would pic are neither trendy nor contemporary and they rarely get a word in edgewise with modern gun articles:

A .375 H&H and a .30-06 Springfield. I reckon either a couple of CRF Win 70 actions in med-high grade walnut stocks or Ruger M77 CRF rifles with the same wood.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Today, it would be the following:

Accuracy International in .260 Remington a/ 26" Heavy Palma Contoured Krieger Barrel and Holland Radial Brake. Topped with a 6.5-20x top end Leupold or Vortex scope.

Remington 700 Action in .35 Whelen w/ 24" #3 Krieger barrel, Timney Trigger, HS or BC stock and 2-8x or 1-6x Leupold.

Or

The same rifle in .358 Winchester w/ 20" Krieger.

I cant decide.

Ask again tomorrow and the answers will likely be different.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Today, it would be the following:

Accuracy International in .260 Remington a/ 26" Heavy Palma Contoured Krieger Barrel and Holland Radial Brake. Topped with a 6.5-20x top end Leupold or Vortex scope.

Remington 700 Action in .35 Whelen w/ 24" #3 Krieger barrel, Timney Trigger, HS or BC stock and 2-8x or 1-6x Leupold.

Or

The same rifle in .358 Winchester w/ 20" Krieger.

I cant decide.

Ask again tomorrow and the answers will likely be different.

Full circle.

Once knew a chap whose grandfather shot around the Old Empire with a .350 Rigby and a Dutch 6.5x53R.

Long barrel, express and peep sights, same style wood on both.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,516 Senior Member
    Your question is just plain unfair. Only two rifles? :yikes:

But, I'll play along.

I love my 88s, so I'll go with them. My .243 is very accurate, and good for anything deer size and smaller. That would be one.

The other would be my 338x284. I had a .284 rebarreled for this chambering specifically for elk. It works. See the elk mount in my avatar. It would be good for combined deer/elk hunts or anything deer sized and up. It's not particularly well suited for ranges beyond 300 yards, but neither am I.

The .243 is factory standard with a 22 inch barrel. The only mod is that I had it glass bedded, which made a huge improvement in the accuracy department. After having that done, it went from shooting patterns to sub-moa groups. It wears a Burris Fullfield scope configured in 3x9.

The 338x284 has a 23 inch barrel. If I had it to do over again, though, I would not have had the smith cut the chamber a little long. The magazine is the limiting factor in COAL, so the extra length of the chamber doesn't really help. It may even hurt a bit. Regardless, I have shot a number of sub-moa groups with it as well. It wears a Leupold VX-II in 2x8.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,023 Senior Member
    The two rifles I have for hunting cover anything that I'm likely to encounter in the Rocky mountains, including grizzlies. Both are model 70 Winchester Stainless classics CRF, a 30.06 and a .375 H&H.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    We're close! Although I have a .280, it's one of my pretty ones, but I never dragged through the woods, made more for show! My all around favorite is a Turkish 98 barreled in .284 Win. Since it has the small barrel shank, I turned the front ring down to small ring dimentions. 22" Douglas #1 1/2 contour. Chamber is cut to 3" OAL, so I can seat bullets longer. Metal is a heat treated Black Satan corrosion proof finish, surfaces are slick and hard, increased velocities by 15%. I get 3150 with 150 grain Noslers. Stock is laminated English Walnut, laid out so it looks like a normal wood stock and not plywood! Leopold 2.5x8.
    The other, a .338 Mag on a 1909 action. 23" #2 1/2 contour Douglas , magna-ported. This one is in an old Herters stock blank, English walnut. Found it in a surplus warehouse after Herters went our of business. 2x7 Burris.
    I built them both light, 'cause I figured I carry them more than shoot 'em!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Winchester 70
    300 H&H
    375 H&H

undecided if I'd go Classic in stainless or coated stainless, or blued pre64. Probably the pre64. Leupold 3-9x40 on each. 23" barrels on both barrel band front sight and swivel on the 375. Kill everything that walks
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    OR......

Go German.
    9.3x62
    7x57

Both in mauser 98s, maybe Argentine 1909.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Al the 284 and 338 sound awesome. That would be one helluva pair to do anything that needs doing in North America
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,617 Senior Member
    I'm too unimaginative to say what I would want for game larger than whitetail deer, and ranges beyond 200 yards. I would probably buy a couple of off-the-shelf M70's, one in 22" .308, and one in .300 Win Mag, for larger game at longer distances.

I'm sure that if I had your hunting experience, I would probably choose something different.
    Which reminds me, did you put my name next to that .280 in you will or do I need to call your lawyer for you?

Since I don't keep a shyster lawyer on retainer, I might as well just leave it to you. You actually appreciate all the work and blood, sweat, and tears goes into making a real custom rifle. Not just gluing a barreled action into a plastic stock!! Of course, I never had a son so your first born will do just fine!!:jester:
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,506 Senior Member
    First let me say that I hate composite stocks, but a lifetime of hunting in extreme conditions has shown me there value, most of my rifles until the 90s had nice walnut stocks, crotch feather pattern ( my fav ) and hand checkered but after a week or 2 of riding around in a scabbard on horse back, crashing thru the alders or tamarack swamp, hi-altitude, rain, snow, and sub zero temps. they had to be re-finished, so i went with composite stocks, I know have several rifles with 2 stocks, one for show and one for go.

My choice of calibers is quite simple, the .280 will take anything in the lower 48 and eastern Canada, if I were to hunt western Canada and Alaska I'd take the .338, its great to have for close encounters of the big grizz kind. I have always been a big fan of the 340 Wea. I went with the RUM only because it has no belt, the 338 also has a great selection of bullets from long range to round nose.

JAY
    I knew I loved you for a reason!!! :tooth:

Ya dont love me, I only have one thing to say,

1955 Win. M-70 .358 :rotflmao:

JAY
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 823 Senior Member
    I would have an 85 Sako Finn light in 6.5x55 with a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 Mil or Schmidt and Bender Pm11 3-12x50 p4 Fein
    And
    A 75 or 85 Sako Hunter in 9.3x62 with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x36
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    jaywapti wrote: »

JAY

:love:

On a serious note, "appreciate" does not begin to describe how I feel about that gun. The first time I held that gun my brain just screamed, "You just held the PERFECT hunting rifle!!!". I wish I was talented enough to make something even close to that gun :love:

We have had sort of a love/hate relationship!:jester:

Jay, I understand the logical reason for a stainless/glass rifle, totally practical. I like to call them Amish proof! If you've ever seen an Amish rifle you would know what I mean. The metal is solid rust and the stocks have no remaining finish and usually split the entire length of the fore arm. It also is easier for the factory to make. The stainless the use is easier to machine, plus no polish or bluing involved. No fitting, finishing and checkering to do like a wood stock.

On a serious note, "appreciate" does not begin to describe how I feel about that gun. The first time I held that gun my brain just screamed, "You just held the PERFECT hunting rifle!!!". I wish I was talented enough to make something even close to that gun :love:

Yeah this reminds me Dad! I don't have a problem with Wambli getting the .280 as long as I'm first up for the .284, after all I am older......:love:
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    jaywapti wrote: »
    Ya dont love me, I only have one thing to say,

JAY

Of course he doesn't love you, he's sucking up to Big Al, he likes his .280. I'm the one sucking up to BOTH of you because I love you both so much, :jester:, Am I still in the will DAD?
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 735 Senior Member
    I would have an 85 Sako Finn light in 6.5x55 with a Nightforce 2.5-10x42 Mil or Schmidt and Bender Pm11 3-12x50 p4 Fein
    And
    A 75 or 85 Sako Hunter in 9.3x62 with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x36

I like your style! But, Zee hit the nail on the head. Daily vacillation is why the safe is full.

Hawk
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    Just curious. The AI is certainly an outstanding firearm, but isn't it somewhat limited (for complete lack of a more appropriate word) as a hunting rig?
    It's very appropriate for all kinds of hunting, I would think...
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 823 Senior Member
    Actually I think if you just had one, well perhaps not in your country because of the amount of teeth about, but in mine
    That 280ai would quite possibly be the bees knees.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    I guess out west where you shoot a lot of stuff a zip code away. And now that I remember his geolocation it makes sense. Still not what most normal folks would call a "hunting" rifle, but then again our Zee ain't normal :tooth:

I dunno, on my Colorado hunting Facebook group, a LOT of guys are using faux-wannabe-sniper rifles. I mean, run with what ya got, but dragging 10-12lbs rifles around 2+ miles above sea level....no thanks
    Just curious. The AI is certainly an outstanding firearm, but isn't it somewhat limited (for complete lack of a more appropriate word) as a hunting rig?

I wouldn't think so, just using Sierra's paper ballistics with there 160gr. SBT and a 200 yd. 0 ,

7mm Rem. mag @ 3100 fps mv drop @ 300 yd. is -6.16, energy 2216fp -- @ 500yd. drop is -36.10, energy 1633fp

.280AI @ 2900 fps mv drop @ 300 yd. is -7.16, energy 1926fp -- @ 500yd. drop is -41.8, energy 1406fp

Sierra shows a max mv for the .280AI as 2950fps so the drops would be a little less and energy a little more, I dont think any animal would notice the difference.

JAY
    Jay i believe he is referring to Zee's AI = Accuracy International in 260 Rem
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    I dunno, on my Colorado hunting Facebook group, a LOT of guys are using faux-wannabe-sniper rifles. I mean, run with what ya got, but dragging 10-12lbs rifles around 2+ miles above sea level....no thanks

Depends if you are hunting the plains or mountains.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Depends if you are hunting the plains or mountains.

These guys are mountain hunting. The group is 80% elk hunters

My problem in the 50s thru the mid 80s was reading too much what the "experts" were saying, the "standard" back then was 5 shots into 1" or less at 100yds. so most of the rifles i built had heavy barrels and weighed 8 - 9 1/2 lbs. as i got older that rifle after a day in the high country weighed 20lbs. Sometime in the mid 90s i left all the big mags at home and for the last 20+ years started carrying mostly 2 lightweight rifles, the .358 @ 5.75 lbs and a .30-06 @ 6.5 lbs, and everything i killed was just as dead. The only exception was Alaska where i carried either the .30-338 or the .340 Wea.

JAY