Thoughts about big game hunting rifles

2»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,774 Senior Member
    I dunno, on my Colorado hunting Facebook group, a LOT of guys are using faux-wannabe-sniper rifles. I mean, run with what ya got, but dragging 10-12lbs rifles around 2+ miles above sea level....no thanks

I just got done doing that for 3 days at 10,000 feet in NM. My AI weighs 14-16lbs.

Meh. Ain't nothing but a thing. And being stable enough to hit 6" steel out to 950 yards in a winded condition from field (pretzel) positions is a bonus.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,084 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    My problem in the 50s thru the mid 80s was reading too much what the "experts" were saying, the "standard" back then was 5 shots into 1" or less at 100yds. so most of the rifles i built had heavy barrels and weighed 8 - 9 1/2 lbs. as i got older that rifle after a day in the high country weighed 20lbs. Sometime in the mid 90s i left all the big mags at home and for the last 20+ years started carrying mostly 2 lightweight rifles, the .358 @ 5.75 lbs and a .30-06 @ 6.5 lbs, and everything i killed was just as dead. The only exception was Alaska where i carried either the .30-338 or the .340 Wea.

JAY

So true! That's why I quit reading/believing anything from gun writers. They are just salesmen for the latest factory toy, just like watching Saturday morning kiddy cartoons!! It's the first shot that counts, if you miss, most of the time after that, you're just slinging lead!

As a side note. I hunted with an outfitter in Idaho who had guided for Jim Zumbo. He said JayZee couldn't find an elk if it was in his sleeping bag with him!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I just got done doing that for 3 days at 10,000 feet in NM. My AI weighs 14-16lbs.

Meh. Ain't nothing but a thing. And being stable enough to hit 6" steel out to 950 yards in a winded condition from field (pretzel) positions is a bonus.

Yea, but you're "special"....Gary the plumber from Denver just buys a target rifle with a 5lbs scope on it and hikes once a year, shoots from the bench twice a year and thinks he is golden to 1200 yards because of his equipment.

I borrowed Steve's Howa one year, full up weight was 11.5 lbs. I'll never do that again. For constantly moving, I'd be hard pressed to go over 10lbs, and even then I'll be cursing the damn thing. If I was hiking up to a ridge and sitting all day.....yea sure I guess that wouldn't be too bad.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,774 Senior Member
    Oh don't worry. I was cussing her on the hikes between stages with my ruck and gear. But, as soon as I sat down to shoot..........she was my best friend.

:-)
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,100 Senior Member
    Ha!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,628 Senior Member
    Yea, but you're "special"....Gary the plumber from Denver just buys a target rifle with a 5lbs scope on it and hikes once a year, shoots from the bench twice a year and thinks he is golden to 1200 yards because of his equipment.

I borrowed Steve's Howa one year, full up weight was 11.5 lbs. I'll never do that again. For constantly moving, I'd be hard pressed to go over 10lbs, and even then I'll be cursing the damn thing. If I was hiking up to a ridge and sitting all day.....yea sure I guess that wouldn't be too bad.

And to boot, probably confuses 300 yards with 800. I had one guy tell me about shooting at running elk at 700-800 yards. He was a friend and a nice guy, but I had to call him on it. I'll bet you even Ernie and Zee would shy away from a shot like that. I also bet the 700-800 yard range was more like 300.

I know from experience that it's very easy to misunderestimate (or misoverestimate) range. That's why my hit percentage has gone up a lot since I started using a range finder. I consider it a must.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 460 Member
    Anyone that takes a shot on a running deer or elk at 7-800 yards need there license pulled. A follow up shot on a wounded animal I'd be fine with.
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 375 Member
    I cant complain about my Remington 700 in 30-06. It has put more meat in the freezer than any rifle/shotgun I own. You don't need the most expensive rifle to hunt or shoot well, it is only a tool.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,866 Senior Member
    Rule .303. Its all you need to know!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."