Bad luck, Good luck

sarg1csarg1c Senior MemberPosts: 1,707 Senior Member
Well bad luck first, Yesterday while disassembling my 1911, I accidently let my finger slip off the barrel bushing, there went the rod cap sailing off to no-mans land. Heard it it hit something metal.Pulled two riding mowers out on driveway. and after searching for about an hour, no cap.
Now the good news, Just got a new Brownell's catalog so off went an order for a new one piece rod and some recoil bushings. Was wanting one anyway but I learned a lesson. Watch out for flying parts....

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,747 Senior Member
    Yep.

Good luck with the new parts. .
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Just like socks, a lot of those parts attached to springs, have special hiding places to never be found again. Almost all gun owners have been in similar situations at least once in their lives. Took you, a while to join the "club". Glad you found a replacement. :up:

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,179 Senior Member
    2 cures...

1. Get spares and keep 'em on hand.

2. A GI guide rod and one of these:
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-spring-plugs/1911-auto-mil-spec-recoil-spring-plug-prod26985.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911&avs|Special-Filters_1=Made%2bin%2bUSA
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/466020/cylinder-and-slide-mil-spec-recoil-spring-plug-1911-government-blue
    Same thing, different vendors. That model has a detent that prevents it from flying off into never-neverland.

Yeah, I understand the desire for a FLGR. But it's part of what you deal with....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,983 Senior Member
    Bummer---good you have a handle on the problem.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,552 Senior Member
    Always look directly at the muzzle when dissembling a 1911. You wont lose spring plugs that way.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    2 cures...

1. Get spares and keep 'em on hand.

2. A GI guide rod and one of these:
    http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/recoil-parts/recoil-spring-plugs/1911-auto-mil-spec-recoil-spring-plug-prod26985.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911&avs|Special-Filters_1=Made%2bin%2bUSA
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/466020/cylinder-and-slide-mil-spec-recoil-spring-plug-1911-government-blue
    Same thing, different vendors. That model has a detent that prevents it from flying off into never-neverland.
    I have a couple sear springs here, and was realy wanting to change the rod anyway so no problem there. also lesson learned.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I "lost" a hammer spring strut from a Chinese SxS for several months. Dad found it stuck in the sheet rock ceiling.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member
    You can always use a spent .45 ACP case as a temporary replacement until the new parts get there. JMB weren't no dummy!
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,179 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    You can always use a spent .45 ACP case as a temporary replacement until the new parts get there. JMB weren't no dummy!
    That's only if you use a GI guide rod setup. FLGR is no bueno. Another reason that is the spawn of Mephistopheles...
    Overkill is underrated.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,342 Senior Member
    Disassembly "cabin" made out of a big, thick clear plastic bag for me; loosing a small part in the twilight zone is not an option down here since getting any replacement is a real, costly and time-consuming headache, specially when old and/or uncommon guns are involved.

Once I was taking apart my Mauser C-96 pistol's rear sight assembly in my work during lunchtime; needing more sunlight I got next to the window and off it went flying a wee spring when the slide button detached from its notch. Ran down the 2 floors' stairs and by pure, blind luck find it lying it the middle of the street...still can't figure out how I was able to saw it!.
    Live and learn.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    Always look directly at the muzzle when dissembling a 1911. You wont lose spring plugs that way.

Just an eye! :yikes:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,816 Senior Member
    Try dragging a magnet around, you might get lucky. Worked for me one time with a Ruger Mark III trigger plunger...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,183 Senior Member
    That's only if you use a GI guide rod setup. FLGR is no bueno. Another reason that is the spawn of Mephistopheles...

Tried a FLGR on a .45 once. After about a month, I put it back in the bag and replaced the OEM parts. Much more better with the OEM parts! :up:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

well,found the rod plug today but still want the one piece rod, so all's OK....
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,313 Senior Member
    Plus 10 mag extensions have about a foot and a half long springs. I think they will stick themselves in drywall if let fly.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's dedicated searching right there.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    That's dedicated searching right there.
    The part is not a rare item , but just wanted to keep it like someone said about using it again instead of the one-piece rod. It really was funny where I found it. I wasn't in my shop but in a small building where I keep my riding mowers. I searched both mowers, two large buckets of old nuts and bolts, a six drawer tool box( of course I had two draws open ) well I heard it hit metal and yesterday I looked up on a hanging cabinet and there on top was a set of metal pot and pans used for camping . There in a pan was the bushing.