Slipped through my hands...9 months ago.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,396 Senior Member
It may or may not be a secret that I want a Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in 9.3x62. Badly.

I just ran across an expired Armslist ad from October last year for one for sale in Colorado Springs for $650!!!!!!!!

Sigh....

Original seller can't be contacted on expired ads.

Searching continues.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,296 Senior Member
    CZ

If you're going European, go European.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,396 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    CZ

If you're going European, go European.

No. Haha.

I'm dead set on the Ruger. If I compromise I won't like the gun I end up with.

Furthermore, CZ doesn't make the iron sight version in a traditional stock anymore. They only make it in the Mannlicher style stock--which I also don't want.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    If you cannot end up with your Ruger
    Husqvarna made a real nice 1640 with iron sights, I know this because I have one, straight comb stock, Tiger stripe Walnut, Rosewood forend
    All this and very accurate, though I should mention lightish weight.
    Search about they are out there for a good price.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Search for the African! CZ is nice, but that backwards safety is lame. Plus they should be smoother for what they cost.

Another option, find a 270 or 30-06 Ruger with the irons, send it to JES, for $225 it'll come back as a 9.3 a few weeks later
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Will it be stamped on the barrel ?
    Yup
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,903 Senior Member
    Do they make a No 1 in that caliber?
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,889 Senior Member
    Damn you!!!! :cuss:

ammo..........LOL
    JKP wrote: »
    Do they make a No 1 in that caliber?

Yea they do. But I want a repeater. I'm actually not a fan of the Ruger #1 all that much. I'd consider one in 44mag.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,263 Senior Member
    Search for the African! CZ is nice, but that backwards safety is lame. Plus they should be smoother for what they cost.

I agree. I am not a CZ fan. Their actions and triggers feel like a sand box.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Ha, you feel like the fisherman who 'Let that big one get away..............'

I know the feeling, trust me.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Zee wrote: »

Then grab the Husky, no problems there.
    Weatherby wrote: »
    ammo..........LOL

Ammo is everywhere, try Norma, priv partisain etc and sooo easy to load
    Lapua cases, what more........
    ojr wrote: »

When I find one I'll reload for it.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,889 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »

Not the ammo I meant.
    The big guy needs a picture of a Ruger in 270.
    If this was a year ago he'd already have one of a mannlicher stocked one. I had no use for a 270.
    Takes a special kind of guy for one of those.
    Damn you!!!! :cuss:

What, tempting you?
    Zee wrote: »

Yup! It's cheaper to have a custom built iff a military 98, or rebore a nice Winchester/Ruger, than to buy a CZ and have it smoothed out and corrected to the same level. A gunsmith in the Midwest, that's his entire business.... taking CZ and making them the way it should've been. American Hunting Rifles

Their safeties are only "backwards" on their .22's. 550 works like you think it should. Stocks and triggers can be changed.

Just sayin'. Jason's wanting something of an oddity. Compromise may be essential.
    WWJMBD?

Yes! I have several Mausers in chambering I don't really need... ****...

Did I mention that 225 includes return shipping?
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Their safeties are only "backwards" on their .22's. 550 works like you think it should. Stocks and triggers can be changed.

Just sayin'. Jason's wanting something of an oddity. Compromise may be essential.

Last 550 I looked at (06 FS) had the back to fire/front for safe
    cpj wrote: »
    I've been to his shop. Lots of drool worthy rifles contained there. Didn't know what it was, I was just out ummmmm "working". Saw the sign and figured I'd drop in. I actually bought a safety for a Savage there once.

People rant and rave about the work they do. On the big bore forums its pretty standard operating procedure....buy CZ 550, send to AHR, have a near perfect rifle returned. It'll just cost about 2-3k when all is said and done. But they DO make some nice guns.

Are they in MO or KS?

Own an American '06 and a .416 Safari - they both push forward to fire.
    WWJMBD?

My 527 in 223 is the same, back to fire , forward for safe. A pain actually. However the rifle is that good over all I will live with it, and curse every time it catches me out.
    cpj wrote: »

Ohhhh, that guy. We are talking different shops. Triple River does the custom work FOR CZ. If you order a Safari Classic Custom from CZ USA, 3R is who actually makes it.

I'm referring to these guys, and I guess they're actually in Montana not the Midwest

http://americanhuntingrifles.com
    Already found and bookmarked... once again.... DAMN YOU!!! :angry:

You see all the cartridges he commonly does? 338-06....35 Whelen....9,3x62...375 whelen.....400 whelen....

That 225 also includes chambering, if I forgot that part
    A pretty to match the ugly. Its like a mistress!