The Case for the .44 Special Cartridge

2»

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,941 Senior Member
    .44 spl can make a very accurate rnd especially in the 6" 624 and with a 240 gr slug, I would not feel under gunned except in grizzly country.

I don't have a 624, so, I do use the rnd in a .44 mag.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Who on here bought that 5 shot Ruger recently?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

Elk Creek, he posted a pic on the previous page
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,256 Senior Member
    If a S&W 696 ever turns up at a reasonable price I would welcome it to the family.

Sako
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,732 Senior Member
    Elk Creek, he posted a pic on the previous page
    I have one. It is an amazing "little" revolver!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I have one. It is an amazing "little" revolver!

What loads have you fired from it to date? What do you think it is capable of in the accuracy department?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    One of the great attractions to revolvers is the ammo-flexibility of their chambering - in .357Mag/.38Special, .44Mag/.44Special, .327Federal/.32Everything Else, .454Casull/.45Colt or even .45Colt/.45ACP and .22Magnum/.22LongRifle. No automatic can compete or compare. High pressure loads for game or defense, specialty loads for snakes, or light Cowboy rounds for fun and games, and yes, even defense - have it yoooooour way. Never a concern for function - they all work - it's all good.

The .44 Special is a delightful concoction - big heavy bullet, relatively easy recoil, perfectly suitable for, and eminently shootable in compact guns like Bulldogs. Which is why I've owned a Bulldog, sometimes more than one, since the 1970s. I'm down to just one now, but the new Charter Arms Classic Bulldog is calling me. When they make that original configuration in stainless steel, I'm there.

But, but, slow moving bullets don't expand! So what. Expansion is for little calibers. .44Special bullets start out already pre-expanded at .429 and they're not going to get any smaller. And they hit like boulders shot out of catapults. Well, close enough anyway.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,732 Senior Member
    What loads have you fired from it to date? What do you think it is capable of in the accuracy department?
    So let's see here. I've shot over 1200 rounds through it so far, all hand loads. Well almost a gal at the LGS/range put 5 Speer GD HP's through it. I've shot 240 SWC's and 200 RNFP it shoots them both well. I like the 240 better, but I don't think the revolver cares. As far as accuracy goes it's great! I don't have the pics anymore but it will shoot. At 10 yards it will cut a ragged hole, 25 yards it's a fist sized group in single action and off hand. It opens up in double action, but I'm working on that.

Ive shot several loads out of it but settled on 6.8gr of Unique with a 240 gr Keith bullet. It shoots very well and had a bit of authority. 800x showed some promise at first but left a lot of unburnt powder and the flash was much bigger. It got dumped, figuratively speaking. All is all it's a wonderful personal defense/woods pistol. I would buy another one in a second if I ever lost this one.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Sounds good Elk.

Horse, .44 Specials will expand with the right bullets at factory velocities. Look on YouTube.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,626 Senior Member
    Sounds good Elk.

Horse, .44 Specials will expand with the right bullets at factory velocities. Look on YouTube.

Icing on the cake!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,941 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    One of the great attractions to revolvers is the ammo-flexibility of their chambering - in .357Mag/.38Special, .44Mag/.44Special, .327Federal/.32Everything Else, .454Casull/.45Colt or even .45Colt/.45ACP and .22Magnum/.22LongRifle. No automatic can compete or compare. High pressure loads for game or defense, specialty loads for snakes, or light Cowboy rounds for fun and games, and yes, even defense - have it yoooooour way. Never a concern for function - they all work - it's all good.

The .44 Special is a delightful concoction - big heavy bullet, relatively easy recoil, perfectly suitable for, and eminently shootable in compact guns like Bulldogs. Which is why I've owned a Bulldog, sometimes more than one, since the 1970s. I'm down to just one now, but the new Charter Arms Classic Bulldog is calling me. When they make that original configuration in stainless steel, I'm there.

But, but, slow moving bullets don't expand! So what. Expansion is for little calibers. .44Special bullets start out already pre-expanded at .429 and they're not going to get any smaller. And they hit like boulders shot out of catapults. Well, close enough anyway.

Great post Jack!
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • rice paddy daddyrice paddy daddy New Member Posts: 12 New Member
    One of my pocket carry guns is a Charter Arms Bulldog hammerless. It rides just fine in the front pocket of my jeans.
    Living in a rural/small town area, I'm comfortable with that versus toting around a Government Model 1911.

I tried some Winchester Cowboy loads in my Super Blackhawk, and the accuracy surprised me. No, I wouldn't carry that combination while woods walking, but for fun at the range it is just fine.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "We Will." Motto of the 5th Infantry Division, US Army.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,506 Senior Member
    horselips wrote: »
    , but the new Charter Arms Classic Bulldog is calling me. When they make that original configuration in stainless steel, I'm there. .

About 2 years ago i bought a CA stainless 44spc, love it, the wife liked it so much i got her the same gun only in 38/357, for what they cost the fit, finish and trigger were much better than i expected, i fully expected to have to re-work the trigger, but both stock DA & SA are fine. The 38/357 has a muzzle break, looks like a Mag-N- Port.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,465 Senior Member
    Spk wrote: »
    Hornady Custom Ammunition 44 Special 180 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point (1000 fps)

Sig Sauer Elite Performance Ammunition 44 Special 200 Grain V-Crown Jacketed Hollow (700 fps)

All of these are on the pricey side except the Cowboy action stuff. You won't find most of this stuff at Wally World.

I keep my 629 loaded with the Sig V-Crowns, mainly because they shoot straight, and the price is relatively low: about $19 for 20. Same with the Hornady, though I have a harder time finding them locally.

Shooting .44spl through the 6.5" barrel of the 629 and the 7.5" barrel of my SBH makes me grin like an idiot.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
2»