Well, I can't play golf anymore, so...

LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior MemberPosts: 8,337 Senior Member
I shot my first round of sporting clays this morning and I think I'm hooked! A friend from church is an instructor at a local public shotgun range, so he gave me a few pointers along the way. I figure I hit about 50% overall; he said that's damn good for a newbie.

My only significant time with a shotgun before this was some 'tactical' training for the job, a long time ago, so I'm happy.

I'll feel it tomorrow; my back is already griping a wee bit...
“A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,504 Senior Member
    I always shot a little skeet and trap never really enjoyed it, like you a friend convinced me to try SC, got hooked, joined a team and shot clays for almost 20 years until i retired. I have to say it was the most fun of any shooting sport i ever did.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    Good for you.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    What gun did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Wife got me an H&R Excell a few years ago on Scott's recommendation. It's basically a Turkish Franchi and it performed perfectly.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    You played golf?

You are forever lost to me.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,338 Senior Member
    Sporting clays- - - - -"Loud Golf"! That blasted "rabbit" target is the one I really detest!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Sporting clays- - - - -"Loud Golf"! That blasted "rabbit" target is the one I really detest!
    Jerry

Heck yea. The throwers at my local club are quiet with a capital Q. There's no cheating the throw by memorizing sounds and timing.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Yeah, the bunnies are evil. Misssed every one.

Shush, I think I'll get over it. :jester:

NRA Endowment Member
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    When I saw the title, my first thought was, "Neither can Tiger Woods."
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Yep, but Tiger couldn't even win if he held a shotgun on his competitors!
    Jerry
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 823 Senior Member
    It's good ay.
    I thought skeet would be my thing but even though I really like it DTL is where it's at for me at the moment. Unfortunately it's one of those things that the more you like it the more expensive it gets. Ah well.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »

Shush, I think I'll get over it. :jester:

Plenty of "Stiff Upper", good man. :roll2:

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,732 Senior Member
    There is a sporting clays range 15 min from the house here...... it can become habbit forming. Golf would be a cheaper hobby to take up.:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Golf violates all the basic rules of ball sports- - - - -If I get a good hit on a ball, isn't some other dummy supposed to chase it? Why not paint the ball blaze orange, whack it out there a few hundred yards with a driver, and then sit down at a bench beside the tee with a good target rifle, and try to shoot it where it lands? All that wasted real estate on a golf course is just begging to have a few targets set up at long range!
    Jerry