"Smart Gun" hacked, not too impervious after all

2»

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    So I'm clear, you think this guy should NOT have posted the video?

Doesn't matter to me. Anyone who would be so ignorant as to disregard the basic rules of firearm safety because the gun is "smart" has a lower IQ than their smart gun. Add to that the basic rules of safe firearms storage. No dumb gun nor smart gun should be left any place a burglar could access it--tech savvy or not.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »

You might delude yourself into thinking you are minimizing your "contribution" by not buying cable or a smart phone but unless you are an aborigine in the middle of the jungle in Brazil living fully off the land, you are paying your share, want it or not. Now whether you are getting the best bang for what you are paying, that is another completely debatable topic and totally up to the individual...

Thanks for that slam for those of us who don't live in suburbia. :tooth: :roll2:
    Where I live there is no fiber optic cable internet, no DSL, no 'high speed internet' at all, really. I'm on Verizon wireless mobile hotspot via a Verizon JetPack brick, with an antenna to go from 3G with 2 bars to 4G with 2 bars, and download/upload speeds barely in the 1 Mbs range on a good day. Yeah, I pay for all that whiz bang stuff suburbia uses, and the telecoms don't give a rat's crusty butt about doing anything for us country folk. I get a bunch of advertisements every month in my AT&T landline bill hawking their high speed internet, and I've taken to sending them notes to the customer service office every month telling them that they don't offer that where I live, and they can cram their advertisement up their tight little brown starfish.

So, yeah, you suburbanites leech off the fees we country folk pay to get your high speed infrastructure, and laugh about it, I suppose. :nono:

Regarding smart phones, I don't need one for the internet. I have a desktop and a laptop computer for that. A flip phone with camera is all I really need to make calls on the road. And when I DO go on a trip for a day or three the laptop works just fine and can run off A/C or the USB plug-in in the truck with the Verizon JetPack brick providing the internet connection. Like I've said before, I squinted at a 3"x5" little monochrome screen back in the 70's to do programming and I refuse to squint at a delicate screened brick phone that is only better in that it has a color screen. To each his own. And all that thumb typing on that tiny keyboard is the fast track to carpal tunnel syndrome. I ain't sayin', just sayin'! :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,592 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Regarding smart phones, I don't need one for the internet. I have a desktop and a laptop computer for that. A flip phone with camera is all I really need to make calls on the road. And when I DO go on a trip for a day or three the laptop works just fine and can run off A/C or the USB plug-in in the truck with the Verizon JetPack brick providing the internet connection. Like I've said before, I squinted at a 3"x5" little monochrome screen back in the 70's to do programming and I refuse to squint at a delicate screened brick phone that is only better in that it has a color screen. To each his own. And all that thumb typing on that tiny keyboard is the fast track to carpal tunnel syndrome. I ain't sayin', just sayin'! :tooth:

WORD.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,386 Senior Member
    Thanks for that slam for those of us who don't live in suburbia. :tooth: :roll2:
    Where I live there is no fiber optic cable internet, no DSL, no 'high speed internet' at all, really. I'm on Verizon wireless mobile hotspot via a Verizon JetPack brick, with an antenna to go from 3G with 2 bars to 4G with 2 bars, and download/upload speeds barely in the 1 Mbs range on a good day. Yeah, I pay for all that whiz bang stuff suburbia uses, and the telecoms don't give a rat's crusty butt about doing anything for us country folk. I get a bunch of advertisements every month in my AT&T landline bill hawking their high speed internet, and I've taken to sending them notes to the customer service office every month telling them that they don't offer that where I live, and they can cram their advertisement up their tight little brown starfish.

So, yeah, you suburbanites leech off the fees we country folk pay to get your high speed infrastructure, and laugh about it, I suppose. :nono:

We are lucky here, I live 14 miles from town and our local phone company (SRT out of Minot 50 miles away) put in fiber optics about 2 years ago. Before that I used AT&T wireless.
    rberglof wrote: »
    We are lucky here, I live 14 miles from town and our local phone company (SRT out of Minot 50 miles away) put in fiber optics about 2 years ago. Before that I used AT&T wireless.

I had a local terrestrial microwave outfit in California for $38/month. Now I have Spectrum for $70/month - will attempt to switch to AT&T for their $30 teaser rate, then duke it out with them in 2 years when they want to raise it to $60. Internet shouldn't cost more than $20/Month as far as I'm concerned. At least I got my wife off the Cable TV cash drain...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,651 Senior Member
    Whenever I feel like ranting against technology, I think of the Paterson Colt. It had to be considered 'way out there' by the defenders of the Alamo, in 1836. Yet, if it had hit the market a few months earlier and every defender had had two of them, they might have repelled enough of Santa Anna's infantry to make him re-think his plan. It certainly turned things around for the Texas Rangers, during the Comanche Wars.

Technology is what makes human beings the ultimate Apex predator. We just have to restrain ourselves from thinking that it is the answer to all of our problems.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,248 Senior Member
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    We are all entitled to our opinions. Isn't it great to have a choice on most products and services in the good ole US of A.

Often the most critical critiques come from those in similar fields be it electronics, automotive, construction, medical, firearms or anything else you can think of.

Look at drones/UAVs, cool inventions with many positive uses, but with many near misses around the world near airports, misuse by operators spying on neighbors and terrorist using inexpensive ones they hacked/modified to carry explosives and target our troops. Heck they have been used to carry drugs, cellphones and guns to prisoners.

So now they are trying to develop ways to make them "Safe" and unable to operate in restricted areas. They will never be able to completely stop their misuse because when there is a will there is a way.

At the fast pace new technology is being put on the market we are seeing a lot of unintended consequences or maybe the technology being used or vulnerable in ways not fully appreciated when they were developed and marketed.

We resist change and some of us are bonafide Luddites, some just overwhelmed with the fast pace of new products and having to learn and use new things that once took decades to perfect and introduce into our lives seem to be there before the dust has settled on the last generation of the latest and greatest.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Welcome to a mix of the Brave New World and Nineteen Eighty Four in 2017! To use the book titles of Huxley and Orwell that are oft referred to as examples of where we are headed and at in some respects.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Here is a good read where Huxley revisits his Brave New World written in 1931 and some of his thoughts on 1984 written in 1948 after the world had seen what Hitler the NAZIs and Stalinism can do.

I wonder what Huxley and Orwell would have to say in 2017 about the world if they were alive today, especially with the advances in technology.

BRAVE NEW WORLD REVISITED
    [1958]
    by
    Aldous Huxley

https://www.huxley.net/bnw-revisited/
    Do they have an APP fer how to use all the APPs I don't use on my I-Phone? :tooth:
    I don't like anybody who is available locally. I was paying Brighthouse $30/month until they were bought out by Spectrum. None of these companies are in the Internet business, they're in the fone/cable business and want you to pay $150 or more per month for a bundle. All I really need is a lousy 5 megabit service, I could even get by with 1 megabit, I certainly don't need 50, nor do I need their equipment other than whatever type of MODEM to downconvert to Ethernet. Sigh...

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    But back to today... I do answer most of my email using the voice recognition/dictation feature on my iPhone and iPad. I can actually do it hands free in my car too though my entertainment system paired to my iPhone, which makes for much safer driving. Really when you have a chance ask someone to let you play with their iPhone or better yet, go to an Apple Store and take one of their free intro to iPhone classes. You'll be surprised by the capabilities, 80% of which most users still never use.

That's fine - I just don't need it, don't want the hassle of the tiny, fragile thing, and most importantly, don't want to pay for it. I still don't want to deal with the "too big for a fone, too small for a computer" form factor when better devices of both types are available and FAR cheaper. I'm (slightly) annoyed that I have to carry a flip fone for $15/mo because the pay fone infrastructure is totally gone!

Big Chief wrote: »
    Ha, I might need to get a Jitterbug, they have "Smart" ones now fer old farts.
    I don't really (yet) need the handholding the Jitterbug service provides, but I like their "big button" flip fone and their pretty affordable rates.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Big Chief
    Here you go
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,106 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Here is a good read where Huxley revisits his Brave New World written in 1931 and some of his thoughts on 1984 written in 1948 after the world had seen what Hitler the NAZIs and Stalinism can do.

I wonder what Huxley and Orwell would have to say in 2017 about the world if they were alive today, especially with the advances in technology.

BRAVE NEW WORLD REVISITED
    [1958]
    by
    Aldous Huxley

https://www.huxley.net/bnw-revisited/

That was an interesting read, for sure. I read Brave New World and 1984 in high school, and again a few times later on in life. They are still both good reads.

Regarding the article, there are some points in it, especially about drug use, that would give some here on the forum the vapors! :roll2: :tooth:
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

That was an interesting read, for sure. I read Brave New World and 1984 in high school, and again a few times later on in life. They are still both good reads.

Regarding the article, there are some points in it, especially about drug use, that would give some here on the forum the vapors! :roll2: :tooth:

Then they should read Huxley's Doors of Perception.