New, to me, 20 gauge SxS!

2»

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I handled one once. Beautiful guns!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,488 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Finding the "right" shotgun is like finding a good wife. You usually look at a lot of them and hopefully get to play with many before you find "the one". I'm still looking for that perfect 2 barrel 20. Sixgun has no idea how close he came to me having to kill him in a crime of passion to elope with his Browning O/U. You might not want to introduce me to this one :tooth:

I had a feeling. Ya got that strange twitch in your eye... :tooth:
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,809 Senior Member
    Finding the "right" shotgun is like finding a good wife. You usually look at a lot of them and hopefully get to play with many before you find "the one". I'm still looking for that perfect 2 barrel 20. Sixgun has no idea how close he came to me having to kill him in a crime of passion to elope with his Browning O/U. You might not want to introduce me to this one :tooth:
    Funny thing, I have shot the same 870 wingmaster for over 10 years. Before that I had another 870 they were all I needed or wanted. I saw this little gun and immediately fell in love. When I shouldered it it just came up nicely. Then I closed my eyes shouldered it and opened my eyes and saw the top of the recieved and bead. I did this 4 more times just to be sure, but every time was the same thing. I really like this shotgun, and it fits!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    And THAT is how you find love...
    Yup:tooth: sporting clays course 15 min from the house.........damn its going to get expensive!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,333 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    Funny thing, I have shot the same 870 wingmaster for over 10 years. Before that I had another 870 they were all I needed or wanted. I saw this little gun and immediately fell in love. When I shouldered it it just came up nicely. Then I closed my eyes shouldered it and opened my eyes and saw the top of the recieved and bead. I did this 4 more times just to be sure, but every time was the same thing. I really like this shotgun, and it fits!

A well-fitting shotgun makes a huge difference in wing shooting.....I got a fitting with a try gun years back....not that I have ever been able to afford a bespoke shotgun...but at least I know how a properly fitted shotgun feels..
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    A well-fitting shotgun makes a huge difference in wing shooting.....I got a fitting with a try gun years back....not that I have ever been able to afford a bespoke shotgun...but at least I know how a properly fitted shotgun feels..

2013-03-21-12.26.39-300x199.jpg

One can see how that would make a difference.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,016 Senior Member

Yep! A good shotgun is a treasure. I love nice double guns, I love em stacked or SXS. I seem to shoot a stacked barrel better though. A barrel on each side of the bead does something to my thinking and I get off target but I think if I had one, with practice I could get over that. I do love the classic look of a SXS and especially one with a splinter forend.

I now have 4 scatter guns in the safe, a Browning Citori 12 Ga. 3", a Mossberg 500 20 Ga. 3" , a Remington 870 12 Ga. 3", and my Browning hump back Sweet 16 2 3/4 inch chamber. A friend of mine wants to sell me a Model 12 Winchester 12 Ga. which BTW is another grail gun for me. So I'll probably buy it. I don't know what chamber length it is but I don't care. If it's a Model 12 and in good shape I'll buy it if the price is right. We shall see.

But what would be nice after I get this Model 12 is to run across a nice one like you found here. I really believe I could get used to the SXS and learn to shoot it respectably.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    Pfft.
    Besides............ I think I'll distract him while I'm
    There....

Please do not tell us how.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

So my other shotguns? The afor mentioned 870 wingmaster 12, a 870 18.5" HD setup 12, a 12 Beretta 3901, and my wife gransdads 1964 Belgian Browning lightweight A5 12 plain barrel.
    shush wrote: »
    2013-03-21-12.26.39-300x199.jpg

One can see how that would make a difference.
    is that your around the corner gun?:tooth:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,016 Senior Member
    Pfft.
    Besides. I'm closer to him than you are. He wants me to come up and hunt. I think I'll distract him while I'm
    There....

O/Us grow on you, especially when you shoot a little competition. I never was kin to anybody named Topperwein, but I got to where I loved my O/U/. I'll admit aesthetically it's not on par with a SXS, but when it comes to hitting fast flying targets it can get pretty amazing in the right hands.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,731 Senior Member
    0737511d05905f58958cb7ade4754a5f.jpg

Gotta love sxs 20g for dove. While my Stoger ain't as pretty as yours it gets the job done.
    Congrats on the new shotgun!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs
    is that your around the corner gun?:tooth:

Fitted for a right handed shooter with a left master eye or a missing right eye...some of those modifications get pretty extreme...
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Fitted for a right handed shooter with a left master eye or a missing right eye...some of those modifications get pretty extreme...
    Cool.
    Hot wax.

Do you always have to drag up a man's past?

Cool.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_AdCYQzY9GHzebbgVp3yLvDBex8xcNO2lAjsMHLI_wHc8t4i2gA

Crossover-stock-2-630x400.jpg

It can keep you shooting.

PS.

If I recollect correctly, your own Mr. John T Amber had problems late in life and acquired an old crossover shotgun that suited him.

Also had a bolt action rifle so fitted out, Sako maybe?

Where there a will there a way right? And deep pockets do t forget deep pockets.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,518 Senior Member
    Good score!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,774 Senior Member
    Very nice shotgun. I've always liked those. Every time I get it into my head to buy a nice one, I shoot one of my old guns and remember that a cheap, comparatively ugly one can work just as well. :bang:
    Antonio wrote: »
    Very nice classic shotgun in a great gauge...congrats!
    bellcat wrote: »
    Good score!
    Thanks guys, I'm really looking forward to getting this out.
    bisley wrote: »
    Very nice shotgun. I've always liked those. Every time I get it into my head to buy a nice one, I shoot one of my old guns and remember that a cheap, comparatively ugly one can work just as well. :bang:
    I'm cheap too, but this one got me.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,474 Senior Member
    My favorite 20:

P1010088_zpsryjrt8ar.jpg

P1010084_zpsnbt4gjnf.jpg
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    My favorite 20:

P1010088_zpsryjrt8ar.jpg

P1010084_zpsnbt4gjnf.jpg
    You win! That's too cool! Who made that?
    It's a Darne ....I have always wanted one....
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,474 Senior Member
    Yep, Darne. Made in France. I saw my first one in Viet Nam, didn't pay it much attention then; it was a captured gun. The 20 ga. Darnes are pretty rare; for some reason, that gauge isn't popular over there. I wanted one for years and when I came up with this one at the LGS, I jumped on it.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Gene L wrote: »
    Yep, Darne. Made in France. I saw my first one in Viet Nam, didn't pay it much attention then; it was a captured gun. The 20 ga. Darnes are pretty rare; for some reason, that gauge isn't popular over there. I wanted one for years and when I came up with this one at the LGS, I jumped on it.
    It's Darne cool! :tooth: and very unique.