Back in the saddle, again.

41magnut41magnut Senior MemberPosts: 1,162 Senior Member
In mid-July I spent a week a the NRA Whittington Center near Raton, NM. Spending time in this Second Amendment Amusement Park is a treat in and of it's self.

I participated in the Rocky Mountain Palma Match, and the Santa Fe Long Range Regional Championship.

The RMPC was one day of practice, three days of matches at 800, 900, and 1000 yards.
800 yards - Unlimited sighting shots and 15 record shots - 22 minute time limit.
900 & 1K yards 2 sighters, 15 record shots 22 minute time limit

Santa Fe Long Range Regional
Unlimited sighting shots, 20 record shots - 30 minute time limit. Three matches on Saturday and two matches on Sunday.

After checking my Data book, I found that these were the first matches I had been able to compete in since 2009, and my participation that year was limited to two matches. Suffice it to say, I am starting over. Thankfully ammo loaded in 2009 and zero's found in my data book were still good. I improved in some areas and found new ways to mess things up.

For the entire 6 days there were pure sling supported Palma shooters, and a mix of F-Open and F-TR shooters as well.
I met shooters that I have only read about, or heard of.
I found the conversations and reminiscing of International matches most interesting, Brisbane, New Zealand, South Africa.
I picked up a lot of information on technique, & tips, by eavesdropping on their conversations, and watching them on the line.

I found it surprising that I was the only lower classified shooter (Marksman, lowest classification on the NRA scale), everyone else were Masters or High Masters. Several of the Palma shooters were more advanced in years than I so there is hope.

TO say the least, I had a whale of good time, a whale of a frustrating time, and going back for more in September for Spirit of America.

http://www.baldeaglesrc.org/event-2409136

Y'all come on out.

Seriously, if you get the chance to stretch your limits out to 300-1000 yards take it. You will not regret it.
"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,675 Senior Member
    Sounds like a blast
    What were you shooting?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    In mid-July I spent a week a the NRA Whittington Center near Raton, NM. Spending time in this Second Amendment Amusement Park is a treat in and of it's self.

I participated in the Rocky Mountain Palma Match, and the Santa Fe Long Range Regional Championship.

The RMPC was one day of practice, three days of matches at 800, 900, and 1000 yards.
    800 yards - Unlimited sighting shots and 15 record shots - 22 minute time limit.
    900 & 1K yards 2 sighters, 15 record shots 22 minute time limit

Santa Fe Long Range Regional
    Unlimited sighting shots, 20 record shots - 30 minute time limit. Three matches on Saturday and two matches on Sunday.

After checking my Data book, I found that these were the first matches I had been able to compete in since 2009, and my participation that year was limited to two matches. Suffice it to say, I am starting over. Thankfully ammo loaded in 2009 and zero's found in my data book were still good. I improved in some areas and found new ways to mess things up.

For the entire 6 days there were pure sling supported Palma shooters, and a mix of F-Open and F-TR shooters as well.
    I met shooters that I have only read about, or heard of.
    I found the conversations and reminiscing of International matches most interesting, Brisbane, New Zealand, South Africa.
    I picked up a lot of information on technique, & tips, by eavesdropping on their conversations, and watching them on the line.

I found it surprising that I was the only lower classified shooter (Marksman, lowest classification on the NRA scale), everyone else were Masters or High Masters. Several of the Palma shooters were more advanced in years than I so there is hope.

TO say the least, I had a whale of good time, a whale of a frustrating time, and going back for more in September for Spirit of America.

http://www.baldeaglesrc.org/event-2409136

Y'all come on out.

Seriously, if you get the chance to stretch your limits out to 300-1000 yards take it. You will not regret it.

I would love to just to watch and learn. That area of the Country is some of my favorite in the whole world. Congrats on having a great time.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,869 Senior Member
    Sounds good Russ :up:
    Glad you enjoyed yourself :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Sounds like a blast
    What were you shooting?

I was shooting my Palma rifle, Winchester push feed action, 30" Kreiger barrel (1-13 TR), 6" bloop tube, Magee stocked, 308W, Centra brand aperture sights front and rear.

My ammo is 155 grain Sierra Palma bullets, Varget powder, Winchester LR primers, Federal GM brass.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Now I know where SS3 gets his good shootin from, good ole dad!

Congrats, far beyond what I'm capable of.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    41magnut wrote: »
    I was shooting my Palma rifle, Winchester push feed action, 30" Kreiger barrel (1-13 TR), 6" bloop tube, Magee stocked, 308W, Centra brand aperture sights front and rear.

My ammo is 155 grain Sierra Palma bullets, Varget powder, Winchester LR primers, Federal GM brass.

800 to 1000 yards with a peep sight? :yikes: :worthy:

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    Hating you!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,658 Senior Member
    Sounds like great fun!

I commend you for having the energy to try to compete at that level. Just the thinking alone intimidates me, much less the physical challenge. :up:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    800 to 1000 yards with a peep sight? :yikes: :worthy:

D

YEP, iron sights & leather slings -- :applause:

Besides the target is big, really big. When I'm in the pits, looking at the 10 ring, I often say "Why can't I hit that, it's as big as a Volkwagen.
    bisley wrote: »
    Sounds like great fun!

I commend you for having the energy to try to compete at that level. Just the thinking alone intimidates me, much less the physical challenge. :up:

Thank you.

Yes, I have some physical challenges that make participation more challenging, eye sight, flexibility, hearing loss, all are manageable but a pain in the dairy-aire.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,620 Senior Member
    I loved your OP, that was just great. I shot there in '12 and '13 at the FCNC and the FCWC. Beautiful range but the firing line made from crushed volcanic rock and was hard on carts and shoes. The only thing I didn't like on that range is the massive conditions difference depending on the target number you get. The low numbers on the left side were nasty targets to shoot on.

I will say that the pits area is the best I have ever seen, including Perry.

It's been a long time now since I've shot Palma. My Palma rifle is a Swedish Mauser 96 with Parker Hale sights and a 30 inch barrel. My days of sling and coat are behind me now; my eyes are not good enough for the peep sights on these rifles.

Got any pictures?
    Pegasus,
    Sadly, I do not have any worthwhile pictures.
    I am not the photographer that SS3 is.

I've listened to people make comments on the winds at Raton for years. I didn't find the winds any more challenging than at Capitan, NM or at the home range. That doesnt mean I made exact and/or correct, wind calls, or caught every change. Wind doping is an art I have yet to master.
    I have not been there enough to discern differences between upper, lower, or in between, so will make a note of your observations. I was surprised that once in the pits, I would not have any idea of what the wind on the range was doing. The pits are completely shielded in that regard.

Sadly the High Power range is rhe least utilized range at The center.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,620 Senior Member
    Every range has their conditions challenges if they are not in a tunnel. What I found at Raton is that the firing line at the different yard lines are very high from the ground on the left hand side and quite a bit less on the right hand side, facing the target line. On the other hand, the middle portion is nearly flat. If the wind comes into your face or from the front right or left, it will create massive elevation issues for the folks on the left hand side.

In '13, on the last day of the Nationals, the morning was beautiful and I fired a 199-something for the first 20-round string. I was on top of the world. I had shot quite well that week and there was only one more string to go. I takes a long to between matches and we got a rain delay of 2 hours (high winds and torrential downpour, they don't want the targets ruined.) It was late in the afternoon when I got to shoot my second match of the day and the last one for the championship. I was on target 10, way to the left. It was like shooting across multiple canyons. The wind was howling, the snow falling, the rain had started again and I think there was an earthquake. I was shooting in the top relay as I had done quite well all week, and especially that morning, so I was surrounded by top shooters.

When I finished my string, I had dropped 17 points, and I think I only got 1X. I was holding all over the target, from edge of the next target on the left to middle of the other target on the right. It was epic. I even shot a 7, which was disgusting. I lost more points in that one relay they I had lost for all 7 prior matches combined. When I got up, I noticed that the folks near me were also having issues. I ended up with not too shabby a score for that relay; there were other shooters near me who fell off the target, a miss. The conditions were that bad. You don't get to pick the conditions in which you shoot. This is why I go to the monthly matches, regardless of conditions. Those who only go shoot in perfect weather are not doing themselves any favors.

As for the pits, yes. They are completely shielded. I was in the pits during that long rain delay. it was something like 4 hours between the time we went in and came back out. We were all very surprised at the changes in the conditions when the busses took us back to the firing line.

Speaking of SS3, did he ever start handloading?