Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Speeding tix in Louisiana

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
I always knew traffic enforcement was just a revenue generating scheme, but this removes any semblance of a mask.



http://thelensnola.org/2017/07/27/louisiana-das-offer-motorists-a-deal-write-us-a-check-and-well-dismiss-your-speeding-ticket/
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod


Replies

  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,093 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I always knew traffic enforcement was just a revenue generating scheme, but this removes any semblance of a mask.



    http://thelensnola.org/2017/07/27/louisiana-das-offer-motorists-a-deal-write-us-a-check-and-well-dismiss-your-speeding-ticket/

    Need to see if there is an additional cash discount.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    "Now, Y'all take this here book, an' write down what ah say!"

    :roll:
    Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,194 Senior Member
    I don't know about Louisiana, but my driving through Texas, Mississippi, etc was a pure pleasure because EVERYONE drove the speed limit - a refreshing change. Enforcement was plentiful and obvious. That's the one thing Florida doesn't really do, and people drive more like Californians do (without their incompetence for the most part).
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Need to see if there is an additional cash discount.

    Required payment method is a money order.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I always knew traffic enforcement was just a revenue generating scheme, but this removes any semblance of a mask.

    You must be one of those exceptional drivers who do not need speed restrictions, we have them over here.

    They are a great comfort to our Organ transplant program, although it never seems to be the driver, just some innocent bod.
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    There is a very big hotel chain that doesn't allow adult videos. Would you consider this conservative censorship? Their hotels, their rules.

    So, banning adult videos is ok, "Their hotels, their rules".

    Their roads, their speed restrictions.....................!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,202 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I don't know about Louisiana, but my driving through Texas, Mississippi, etc was a pure pleasure because EVERYONE drove the speed limit - a refreshing change. Enforcement was plentiful and obvious. That's the one thing Florida doesn't really do, and people drive more like Californians do (without their incompetence for the most part).

    Everyone in Texas drove the speed limit? What were you smoking?
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,865 Senior Member
    I'm glad we had this thread
    there is nothing new here
    always been some sort of similar program.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Louisiana has ALWAYS been bad regarding speeding/traffic tickets. Especially on Interstate 10 due to it being a drug corridor. Back in the early 80's getting pulled over for speeding could get really bad, especially if you were driving a nice high dollar car. Lots of those vehicles got towed in and disassembled looking for drugs/drug money. And if they didn't find any they also didn't reassemble it.

    And now for those $2 roadside drug tests kits cops use. If you eat Krispy Kreme doughnuts in you vehicle, then STOP NOW!

    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-cop-mistook-doughnut-glaze-for-meth-20160727-story.html
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Out of state license plate = I-10 cop's ATM machine!
    :angry:
    Jerry
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,981 Senior Member
    Nobody in Texas drives the speed limit, one thing i learned real quick was if you have Texas plates on your car and are going to drive thru Louisiana drive 5mph under the limit, dont stop until you reach Mississippi, on I-10 Spanish Fork Alabama has always been one of the biggest speed traps in the US.

    JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,194 Senior Member
    My driving in Texas was limited to I-40 at 75 MPH. Nobody was passing me... *shrug*
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    In Florida, tickets only generate $3 each for agencies. And that's a ticket average of $140-ish per ticket. So we ain't getting crap from writing tickets.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,194 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    In Florida, tickets only generate $3 each for agencies. And that's a ticket average of $140-ish per ticket. So we ain't getting crap from writing tickets.

    Heck, that doesn't even cover dept. costs...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    You can imagine my surprise... :roll:
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Heck, that doesn't even cover dept. costs...

    Nope.

    PDs only recover costs if defendants are commanded to pay investigations cost restitution. We submit an affidavit for the cost of investigation with every arrest, but it's not always paid after the case is adjudicated. Most criminals don't have a dime to spit on.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,093 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    Come to New Jersey. Most people here get several speeding tix in their lifetime because people force you to drive like an idiot here. 100mph is sadly almost average on the highway here. Showing some leg and cleavage doesn't get you out of tickets either lol. I cried once and he gave me a seatbelt ticket instead lol.

    That's never worked for me either.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    Come to New Jersey. Most people here get several speeding tix in their lifetime because people force you to drive like an idiot here. 100mph is sadly almost average on the highway here. Showing some leg and cleavage doesn't get you out of tickets either lol. I cried once and he gave me a seatbelt ticket instead lol.

    I let all pretty crying women go scott-free (unless it's criminal or plainly reckless). I had a girl complain on me once that I gave her a ticket because she wouldn't show me some cleavage. My video/audio cleared me instantly, but if my video isn't working and I don't know it I don't want a he-said-she-said situation.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I don't know about Louisiana, but my driving through Texas, Mississippi, etc was a pure pleasure because EVERYONE drove the speed limit - a refreshing change. Enforcement was plentiful and obvious. That's the one thing Florida doesn't really do, and people drive more like Californians do (without their incompetence for the most part).

    Everybody has always driven 75-80 mph. Even when the speed limit was 55. Believe me, it isn't just a reverence for law and order. :tooth:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,194 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Everybody has always driven 75-80 mph. Even when the speed limit was 55. Believe me, it isn't just a reverence for law and order. :tooth:

    California's maximum speed is 70 - and you don't see it that often. It means everybody goes 80-85.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    You must be one of those exceptional drivers who do not need speed restrictions, we have them over here.

    They are a great comfort to our Organ transplant program, although it never seems to be the driver, just some innocent bod.

    I obey traffic laws for two reasons: 1- I do not want to interact with police. 2- I pay enough money into the system.
    shush wrote: »
    So, banning adult videos is ok, "Their hotels, their rules".

    Their roads, their speed restrictions.....................!

    Hotels are privately owned. Citizens own the highways....

    I'm not complaining about speed restrictions, I'm bitching about the payment scheme. Give the fine directly to the DA and he removes the "moving" violation. This activity is at the expense of the public defender's office. See how that works? The DA's conviction rate goes up because more people are forced to plea bargain.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,865 Senior Member
    They even get the perks of cleavage and a little thigh with no nasty tude

    How is that a perk when they have a job that requires total concentration.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,071 Senior Member
    DAs typically don't handle traffic tickets where I'm from. A whole different court system. DAs deal with felony crimes, and most traffic violations are not felony crimes. Some are: vehicular homicide, for example. Here, they're heard by a magistrate, or in State Court (not superior court) for serious traffic violations like DUI.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    DAs typically don't handle traffic tickets where I'm from. A whole different court system. DAs deal with felony crimes, and most traffic violations are not felony crimes. Some are: vehicular homicide, for example. Here, they're heard by a magistrate, or in State Court (not superior court) for serious traffic violations like DUI.


    As it should be. In Louisiana, the public defender gets funding from traffic tickets. The DA has circumvented the entire system with this crap.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

    Adam J. McCleod


This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement