What do you plan to use this hunting season?

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,564 Senior Member
I cannot WAIT for hunting season or cooler weather!!!!! The stupid and butt-hurt is FLOWING from this forum in epic proportions!!! From the mods to the peons!!! Ass-Clownery reigns!!!

What do you plan on using this hunting season? My current list in no particular order............

-TC Encore Pistol = .358 Winchester
-Remington 700 = .338 Win Mag
-Ruger SBH 10.5" Barrel = .44 Mag
-Dominator Pistol = .35 Remington
-Encore 16" Rifle = .280 Remington
-Contended Pistol = .44 Mag
-Remington 700 = .260 Remington
-Benchrest Rifle = .260 Remington
-Marlin Guide Gun = .45-70
-Ruger SBH Bisley = .480 Ruger

These are all the guns I've not taken game with and hope to do so this fall/spring if things work out.

What firearms/cartridges are you planning to utilize this hunting season? It's only a month or two away and I've been putting off working up handloads because it just too stupid hot!

Apparently effecting the emotions and brains of the good folks of this forum as well as the motivation to get out and enjoy the sport of hunting/shooting.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,830 Senior Member
    6.8 SPC Stag AR for deer in MI
    If I go to KS for deer the .300 WM Savage
    .223 AR for coyotes...I have a 16" carbine that I'm switching over to either an A2 or PRS stock and a 20" upper for those across the pasture shots....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Good question. Since its hotter than two rats screwing in a wool sock, and I've been working long hours, I've put ZERO thought into it. Since I've got nothing new, I've no "need" to bloody anything. Half tempted to take one with my .357. The 243 IS an option, but it would have to be a sniper style attack, I ain't toting a 17 pound gun around. And I ain't schlepping it around for a 200 yard shot. But long shots here are very limited. I do have a couple options though.
    May get the 430 sjs tuned up, and try the 265 ftx bullets. The ones actually rated for speed. Unlike the 240 that made a giant ing hole...

The wool sock made me laugh. Thanks. I needed that.

I'm with you. I need to work up loads for the .45-70........243 Win........and 480 Ruger........with absolutely no desire to do so in this heat.

No need for long distance with the .243 Win...........just make a heD shot the stipulation.........regardless the distance.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    6.8 SPC Stag AR for deer in MI...

Sucker just keeps on working, eh?

Same case of ammo?
    By the way........use the .357 Mag!!!

That was one of the most rewarding hunts of last year for me. Taking one with my 6" GP-100 and 158gr XTP bullets. Most were simple "culls". That one meant something to me.
    That would be a cool comparison. Using the cast.

Just plan on it running a ways with the cast. Unless you hit bone structure.
    Zee wrote: »
    Sucker just keeps on working, eh?

Same case of ammo?

Yep... don't need to shoot a lot...just keeps killing stuff....

Although I did have a thought about using the .45-70 Marlin for deer out back of the house...probably ought to...
    Considered making some soft cast bullets. Pure lead.

I've killed 2 with hard cast WGN-GC. One deer and one pig.

The deer i Ed I took out both front shoulders just below the scapula do that girl plowed her way about 40 yards with her chest on the ground, driving her back legs. No blood.

The pig pig took out both shoulder blades and the spine. Dropped right there.

Neither showed the soft tissue damage and hydrostatic shock is a fast moving, expanding , hollow point. They just plowed a caliber sized hole through the animal with minimal surrounding tissue damage. And not much blood.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Me? .430 SJS with the 265gr FTX. Nic? .338 Federal with some special handloads a friend made for me. If opportunity knocks, I will try to bag one with my 10mm Kimber.

That Federal is freakin due!!!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    I have 3 matches that I want to go to left, then it is time to get serious about the front sight blade on the trapdoor. I tried it a while ago with exactly zero movement. If I can get that whores dream unpinned, the new one in and it sighted in to the same county as POA, its going out. If not, there is a 300 Savage that might enjoy the woods.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,540 Senior Member
    Myself and possibly others are unclear as to weather we're stupid or butthurt so my qualifications to respond are in question.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    I have 3 matches that I want to go to left, then it is time to get serious about the front sight blade on the trapdoor. I tried it a while ago with exactly zero movement. If I can get that whores dream unpinned, the new one in and it sighted in to the same county as POA, its going out. If not, there is a 300 Savage that might enjoy the woods.

I called my gun smith and told him what I had and wanted to do. He said to torque the barrel in and finish chambering it would cost a couple hundred. I think to blue it will be another hundred. Then I gotta get some optics on it. $50 for rings. It has a base mount already attached to the Zastava action. I'll probably get some factory 140 grain Remington Core Lokts to sight it in and hunt with this year and worry about working up a load next year.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Myself and possibly others are unclear as to weather we're stupid or butthurt.....

Yes.

.......so my qualifications to respond are in question.

Nope. You fit right in. Post away.

I welcome any conversation regarding hunting/sport shooting and the common ground thereof.

:group:
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Well, I'm finally back in the oilfield, so I should have both the free time and disposable money to hunt this fall. First up will be my TBRC AR-15, using either 64 or 75 gr Speer GD. I finished off a hog with my G20 SF a few months ago, but I'd like to take one cleanly with it if I can get close enough. I might try to kill something with one of my S&W M29s, too. There are several other guns that need to be blooded, but those are first on the list.

For the next year or so, I really need to focus on using what I've acquired rather than just continuing to stockpile guns and ammo and never use them.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
  • TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 229 Member
    It's easy when you don't have but one rifle. I'll be using my trusty Remington 798 in 30-06 :)
    Better than ever with new scope I bought at the end of the last season. Trigger is also tuned to "near perfection".

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Myself and possibly others are unclear as to weather we're stupid or butthurt so my qualifications to respond are in question.

Touché.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,698 Senior Member
    Howa in 204
    Sako in 222
    Tikka T3 Lite in 7mmo8
    Tikka TX Lite in 243 once I get the damn thing out of jail, save enough for a good scope and work up a load. ( Just blew the gun fund on getting my Jeep repaired :bang:)
    Really would like to take a deer/rabbit with the Pre 64 Mod 70 375 H&H but I need to sort out a mount for the video camera ( I havent forgotten my promise )

Then there is the 308 and ( gasp) the 270 that should get blooded.

Glad you posted this thread up btw, Between the politics of the last election and the latest posts regarding LEO's I find myself somewhat lacking motivation to post much.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Jayhawker wrote: »

Although I did have a thought about using the .45-70 Marlin for deer out back of the house...probably ought to...

What bullets are you using? I've got all my reloading stuff in for that cartridge. Thinking of just going simple and using 300gr HP Hornady bullets.
    It's easy when you don't have but one rifle. I'll be using my trusty Remington 798 in 30-06 :)
    Better than ever with new scope I bought at the end of the last season. Trigger is also tuned to "near perfection".

If it ain't broke.........
    orchidman wrote: »
    Really would like to take a deer/rabbit with the Pre 64 Mod 70 375 H&H but I need to sort out a mount for the video camera ( I havent forgotten my promise )

I would very much like to see that.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Traditions 50 cal caplock Woodsman rifle
    T/C 320gr maxi ball.
    90 grs Goex FFG.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,778 Senior Member
    I've got a 1971 vintage Marlin 30-30 I would like to get a deer with. It's not scoped and I've never killed a deer with iron sights.
    RugerFan wrote: »
    I've got a 1971 vintage Marlin 30-30 I would like to get a deer with. It's not scoped and I've never killed a deer with iron sights.

That will be pretty cool.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,788 Senior Member
    Kel Tec Sub 2000 .40 S&W

Ruger .357

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Kel Tec Sub 2000 .40 S&W

Science!!!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,489 Senior Member
    Since I'm not planing on going west this year, if i hunt at all one of 4 guns,

Light weight 03-A3 .30-06
    Light weight M-70 .358
    Mex Mauser 7x57 AI
    Rem XP-100 7x57 AI

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,720 Senior Member
    Good question. Since its hotter than two rats screwing in a wool sock, and I've been working long hours, I've put ZERO thought into it. Since I've got nothing new, I've no "need" to bloody anything. Half tempted to take one with my .357. The 243 IS an option, but it would have to be a sniper style attack, I ain't toting a 17 pound gun around. And I ain't schlepping it around for a 200 yard shot. But long shots here are very limited. I do have a couple options though.
    May get the 430 sjs tuned up, and try the 265 ftx bullets. The ones actually rated for speed. Unlike the 240 that made a giant ing hole...

Duh, weight loss plan, remember? Drop 10#'s and hunt deer, for Science!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    What bullets are you using? I've got all my reloading stuff in for that cartridge. Thinking of just going simple and using 300gr HP Hornady bullets.

I have a couple of choices...either a 405 grain cast round nose flat point or some 300 grain cast hollow points..the gun likes the 405, I have to see how it performs with the lighter bullets..
    Don't mater if I drop 50! It's still a heavy rifle with a long muzzle heavy barrel. Kind hard to move around in a tree stand. I'd have to either set up my portable bench, or shoot prone.

So..........what's the problem?

I'm gonna use my freaking .260 Remington Benchrest rifle with 32" straight blank barrel (2.250" diabetes full length) this year for crying out loud!!

You can do it! I have faith in you!

(2.250" diabetes full length)

Is it type 2 or does it have to take insulin? (I hate that autocorrect thing)
    Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

Unless, you make straight on chesticles to testicles shot on a hog. See how far it will go lengthwise.

I'm cheap. I can get the 300s for the same price as heavier hard cast gas checked bullets and probably have better terminal performance running the 300s hot and fast as opposed to any slower moving WFN-GC.

Nothing I'm shooting requires the penetration of the cast.

Cheap. Easier to clean (no leading). More deader.

Win!