May be a goof up on NAA revolver .22 Mag velocity in G&A Sep issue

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Here is the NAA website .22 mag from a 1" bbl

https://northamericanarms.com/ballistics/ball-22ms/

And the article in the G&A mag on NAA Pug 1" ported bbl, pg 57 Sep issue I got today has all the .22 mag listed from 30 to 50 grains at over 1500 FPS, higher than the velocities on a 4" bbl NAA called The Earl.

I think their Chronograph needs to be calibrated or they got the data mixed up with some other gun. Highest velocity I saw from NAA's site is 1143 with a 30 grain bullet in a +V load.

Good articles on NAA guns, though.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,886 Senior Member
    I just skimmed it on my 1st pass through the magazine. I'll read it in depth on my 2nd or 3rd pass.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    The velocities listed in the G&A article seem to be in line with these listed from a 6 1/2" bbl from a Single Nine Ruger revolver chambered in .22 Mag or a similar handgun. They are too low for what a rifle would produce and too high for what a NAA would do.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SingleNine.htm
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Whomever heard of a gun mag massaging the figures in an article about an advertiser's product? Perish the thought!
    :roll:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,408 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Whomever heard of a gun mag massaging the figures in an article about an advertiser's product? Perish the thought!
    :roll:
    Jerry
    That's more than a little massaging, that's full-on number surgery.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,086 Senior Member
    I once had a clerk tell me the NAA in .22 mag has three times the velocity of a .22LR. I said 3000FPS??!! and he said yes 3000FPS!!:silly:
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,348 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I once had a clerk tell me the NAA in .22 mag has three times the velocity of a .22LR. I said 3000FPS??!! and he said yes 3000FPS!!:silly:

It's amazing what people will tell you if they think you don't know any better.:blah:
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    What was he smoking ?
    big elk wrote: »
    What was he smoking ?

Something somewhere got screwed up. I'm sure next months G&A magazine will print a correction.

Since I bought a NAA .22 Mag I have been reading up on them and know from many articles on the caliber what to more or less expect in the velocity dept. I used to use my Chrony with my Marlin 883 .22 Mag bolt rifle some years ago and have an idy what rifle ballistics should be as well.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,188 Senior Member
    If I remember correctly, and it was several years ago, the chronograph results from my short barreled and longer barreled NAA revolvers with .22 WMR 40 grain Winchester ammunition did not exceed 1,000 fps.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

The highest velocity I ever saw with my Marlin 883 rifle over a Chrony was over 2200 FPS using some lighter 30 grain ammo, I think it was called TNT or something. Usually 1800-1900 range for 40 grain ammo. Been 10 years or so. I know they have made advancements in .22 Mag ammo since, but 1500+ FPS from a 1" bbl revolver ain't one of them to my knowledge.

He was in the ballpark, the infield in fact, with a 6 1/2" bbl or longer barreled revolver from what I've seen poking around. That is why I think the wrong data was pulled up from the Chrony strings or database.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 26,188 Senior Member
    I've got the data and the targets stashed somewhere, but it's the WHERE that is the problem.
    If the U.S. Congress was put in charge of the Sahara Desert, there would be a shortage of sand in under six months.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 2,348 Senior Member
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

Those agrees with what Big Chief was saying. I think their probably was a mix-up somewhere along the line. We'll see next month. Okay, you'll see next month because I don't subscribe anymore. :yawn:
    Beware of false knowledge -- it is often more dangerous than ignorance.
    I just did a 3 yr renewal of G&A magazine. It and Shooting Times are like my salt & pepper... a mainstay along with American Rifleman. I've subscribed to others over the years, but those have been pretty much continuous for a long time.