Another Oxpho-Blue fan, when will I learn

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,425 Senior Member
My nephew came in from Tennessee a few weeks ago and brought two 22's he had found in his basement. The first was a Remington 511 that looked rough but salvageable. It had surface rust and a nasty stock. Some oil and 0000 steel wool got the metal clean and looking good, the rust hadn't destroyed the bluing. I stripped the stock and applied 6 coats of oil. It came out great. The second is a Mossberg 25A that Bubba had carved a dragon (if you can call it that) into the stock. When I first handled it I couldn't see the barrel stamps under the rust. It looked like this rifle had spent too many years in the corner of a barn. The butt plate had to be sanded with 100 grit sand paper just to get to the metal.

Yesterday I finally got a jar of Oxpho-Blue and that was all the motivation I needed. I stripped the ol' girl down and started cleaning and buffing. The blue on the barrel was gone but the pitting was light. I prepped the metal with fine sand paper and steel wool until I figured it was as good as it would get. It didn't take long to find my heat gun and with a little bailing wire it was soon hanging in the shed. Some folks said there's need to clean/de-oil the metal but there was some denatured alcohol and break cleaner in the shed. I heated it up and applied the first coat of cream, not bad. I applied 4 more coats before I decided that would be as good as it would get. I attacked the butt plate and trigger guard next. After the parts set a while I applied Rem-Oil and let them sit over night. I assembled the rifle this morning and its not bad! It still looks like an old rifle but the bluing is dark and looks like it will wear well. I'll leave the stock alone as the dragon is too deep to remove and its not worth buying another stock.

For years I tinkered with old neglected rifles, 22's, Nagants, Enfield, Mausers, SKSs and a couple Stevens SxSs that had been beat, abused and victims Bubba's love. I would clean them, refinish the stocks and either touch up or re-blue the metal. I started with 44-40 and eventually set up for Dicropan. Oxpho-Blue is not as good as the Dicropan system but its the best cold blue I've worked with and its a lot less work. I'm glad I cleaned it well and heated it.

Alas I don't think I'll ever learn from houses, to guns, to the building I'm now working in I never remember to take before and after pics.

Thank you for the advise in an earlier post. My only regret with buying Oxpho-Blue is not buying two jars. With the hazmat charge being more than the product .... I forgot how much fun it is resurrecting an old gun. I think I need to go to the LGS and start snooping for un-loved guns again. Remodeling this house and the cross country move has occupied me for 5 years.
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,246 Senior Member
    Glad you had fun with
    got any pics
    This message has been deleted
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,364 Senior Member
    That's some good stuff, I keep liquid and cream on hand for touch up jobs.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member