The Guide Gun LIVES!!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 20,743 Senior Member
Marlin is having their $100 rebate sale that ends this month. I couldn't pass up the deal. It was too good to miss. So, I have another .45-70GOV after several years without one!

XS Scout Scope System
Weaver 4x Pistol Scope
Midway USA Cheek Rest

uo2I2Ko.jpg

I added a Weaver accessory mount to the front of the scope for a light/laser in order to hunt pigs as well.

ogVm6i3.jpg

Wavered back and forth about what bullet to go with and finally decided on the 300gr Hornady InterLok Hollow Point. I already stock it for use in my .458 Win Mag............so why get something else. Besides........they are cheap and accurate.

Made some test loads yeaterday and headed to the range today.

2bqDEzL.jpg

Got on paper with one round at 25 yards then, moved the target to 50 yrds. I contemplated and even PUT the target at 100 yards to start with. But, I'm running a 4x pistol scope in a scout configuration and the trigger on this rifle sucks at 5.75 pounds of pull. Since I was trying to develope an acceptable load, I decided to move the target back to 50 yards and eleminate some of the human error that could come into play at 100 and skew the accuracy results of the loads.

Hodgdon lists 60.0gr of H4198 as their recommended Max. So, I made the following test loads:

59.0gr
59.5gr
60.0gr
60.5gr

g3dylSu.jpg

The 59.0 put 3 in one large hole @ 2.416 fps.
The 59.5 opened to a little over 1/2" @ 2,430 fps.
The 60.0gr went about 1" @ 2,428 fps.

And the winner was 60.5gr with the smallest group @ 2,450 fps.

QMP5ZEy.jpg

I'm pretty happy with that on the first load run. Recoil is stout, but not brutal. The scout scope set-up prevents any unwanted contusions to the face.........which is a good thing. Might change out the recoil pad some day to a Decelerator and ditch the crappy factory one. Or, I might not. WOULD like to figure out a way to lighten up the trigger pull. THAT is the only thing about this rifle that really sucks.

Took the rounds I had left (I loaded 4 for each powder weight, but only shot 3 each) and hit the 300 yard steel with them. Sucker has a pretty good smack! Ha1

All in all.............I LIKE!!
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,780 Senior Member
    I was going to post how that new Annie shot with me and Irons but forget about it now I'm too embarrassed.
    Some great groups from it...........awesome.
    Just curious how do you like reloading now ? : )
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,729 Senior Member
    Excellent looking gun and great shooting.

Do you plan to put the larger lever on it? I find the Marlin levers to be a bit tight.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,186 Senior Member
    Great gun! Great Results! What's not to love?

One thing...Spend $17.00 and get rid of that dumb-ass safety....Please...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I like those bullets.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,982 Senior Member
    Beautiful
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,807 Senior Member
    Dang....

My calculator puts that at 4000 FPE. :yikes: Stout recoil would be an understatement.

Lookin' great!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,847 Senior Member
    Very nice. Lever gun might be moving up my list though I suspect I will choose a bit tamer chambering!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I like it. Chris is correct about the checkering though, it looks like HE did it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,074 Senior Member
    What a beast! I think I'm in love...or maybe it's lust.

Damn fine shooting too. :worthy:
    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace.  ~ James Madison
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,743 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Just curious how do you like reloading now ? : )

Meh, I guess it's ok.

:cool:
    Diver43 wrote: »

Do you plan to put the larger lever on it? I find the Marlin levers to be a bit tight.

I thought about it. But, that sucker is $189 from Midway!!! That's more than half the price I paid for the gun!!!
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Great gun! Great Results! What's not to love?

One thing...Spend $17.00 and get rid of that dumb-ass safety....Please...

Yeah. I thought about it. But, I've made it so unoriginal as it is..............what's the point.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    That.......might be worth it!!!! I HATE the trigger.

There is a gunsmith in Houston who specializes in Custom Marlin Lever Actions. Although I am sure he would be expensive, it is your call.

http://www.rangerpointprecision.com
    cpj wrote: »
    I dig it.
    But holy crap who turned the spastic kid loose with the checkering tool?

I agree. Obviously, the skill ain't what it once was. But, I handled a couple of the laminate stocked versions before I bought this one and the checkering looked even worse on those. I guess I can't complain. Or at least.........it wouldn't do any good.

Far as the big loop goes, why? You dang sure don't need it.

It would simply be a comfort thing. And for the price........not worth the comfort.
    I fired 1
    BigDanS wrote: »
    Dang....

My calculator puts that at 4000 FPE. :yikes: Stout recoil would be an understatement.

Lookin' great!

D

Thanks.

I fired 17 rounds today and my shoulder is aware of it. Not overly sore.........just rather aware.
    Ahem. Let's try the carney reference again....
    Comfort thing? Your tiny hands won't fit in the original?

Being a straight grip, my pinky and ring finger are pressed against the outside of the lever. While my index and middle are against the inside of the lever.

A large loop might be more comfortable. But, it's not worth the $200 price tag.
    Not even that it looks like it was done with a chainsaw, but they must have been trying to get their money's worth out of the checkering tooling. Cause they used it a LOT on that grip.
    But, I'm not a big fan of checkering. Either I want it done well, and done tasteful, or don't do it.

I'd have preferred smooth. But, the Cowboy model was over $200 more and I couldn't mount the scout scope on it.
    There is a gunsmith in Houston who specializes in Custom Marlin Lever Actions. Although I am sure he would be expensive, it is your call.

http://www.rangerpointprecision.com

For $100 and if I can figure out how to install it myself.......it would be worth it.
    JKP wrote: »
    Very nice. Lever gun might be moving up my list though I suspect I will choose a bit tamer chambering!

I'm not a big lever aficionado. But, I have 4 of them and they all serve a particular niche in my collection.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,008 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Being a straight grip, my pinky and ring finger are pressed against the outside of the lever. While my index and middle are against the inside of the lever.

A large loop might be more comfortable. But, it's not worth the $200 price tag.

I would have bought it at that price, nice grab. Would the large loop help when you have multiple pigs out in the open and need to run a magazine full down range?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    I would have bought it at that price, nice grab. Would the large loop help when you have multiple pigs out in the open and need to run a magazine full down range?

That remains to be seen.

I gotta zero the laser and go shoot some pigs.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,385 Senior Member
    Looks really good. Yet another of how great an old school bullet design can shoot.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,008 Senior Member
    Screaming 45-70 loads and quick follow up shots don't mix.

Pfft, he's a professional, he does this stuff barefoot in the dark.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,313 Senior Member
    Nice rifle! I got rid of my 1895 Marlin, actually gave it back to my nephew. Yours shoots really well. I'm glad Remington has picked up the ball on these.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Screaming 45-70 loads and quick follow up shots don't mix.

I'd be happy with a nice stalk and single shot on a nice sized boar.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    Looks really good. Yet another of how great an old school bullet design can shoot.

Meh, it was only 50 yard groups. I just didn't want to screw up my accuracy data with operator error. Being only 4x scope and crappy trigger. I'll play more with the accuracy at 100 and beyond now that I have found what I think I'm looking for in a load.