The Guide Gun LIVES!!!

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,564 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Pfft, he's an idiot, he does this stuff barefoot in the dark.

FIFY
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Gene L wrote: »
    Nice rifle! I got rid of my 1895 Marlin, actually gave it back to my nephew. Yours shoots really well. I'm glad Remington has picked up the ball on these.

The wood and checkering still sucks. But, the metal and accuracy ain't bad.
    cpj wrote: »
    Unless it running when you shoot and you disable the motor, you should be able to empty the magazine.

Ha!

Dude, the auto correct on this iPhone 7 is an anal retentive mother!!!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,823 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    FIFY

The picture you took with the pigs stacked up like cord wood was pretty cool, some rapid fire will happen if you hunt them often enough.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,750 Senior Member
    Meh, it was only 50 yard groups....yeah with a lever action.....go ahead best it
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,823 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    Meh, it was only 50 yard groups....yeah with a lever action.....go ahead best it

Well crap, I totally missed that, Zee get your toe in that trigger guard and ring that 200 yd steel.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,943 Senior Member
    Yeah. I thought about it. But, I've made it so unoriginal as it is..............what's the point.

Only that the concept of a redundant, superfluous cross-bar safety on a lever action rifle offends the harmony of the universe and homeostasis in general... it's that important...Really!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Only that the concept of a redundant, superfluous cross-bar safety on a lever action rifle offends the harmony of the universe and homeostasis in general... it's that important...Really!

On it........
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Well crap, I totally missed that, Zee get your toe in that trigger guard and ring that 200 yd steel.

Dude, if I could do that at 100 yards with my set up........I'd be buying lottery tickets!!

I did hit 300 yards, though. But, no toes were injured in the process.
    And a scout scope doesn't?

With a rail on it, no less!!!

;-)
    And a scout scope doesn't?

No.....one is mildly irritating to purists....the other is just freaking wrong....
    :guns:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    I'm not a big lever aficionado. But, I have 4 of them and they all serve a particular niche in my collection.

I have one lever gun, a 94 Angle Eject .30-30 Winchester. I want two more, a Savage 99 in .250 Savage and one of those you have also in 45-70. Oh, and I forgot so it would be four lever guns I'd want, I would also love to have a Model 1895 in .405 Winchester.

Elk does have one that i do envy, a Model 71 in .348 Win. But I don't think he will give it to me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,750 Senior Member
    pretty interesting that you actually lost velocity going from 59.5 up to 60

And accuracy.

Point of diminishing returns.....not an uncommon occurrence...
    Point of diminishing returns.....not an uncommon occurrence...

But, 60.5 increased in velocity and accuracy after that.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,327 Senior Member
    That.......might be worth it!!!! I HATE the trigger.

You get a $100 rebate with the rifle. The trigger is just over $100. And Brownells has a promo code for $10 off $99 plus free shipping. It's like buying a Guide Gun at normal cost, but getting a decent trigger.

I've shot one. With the Decelerator recoil pad. Both worth the investment, IMO. YMMV
    But, 60.5 increased in velocity and accuracy after that.

Ok then...**** happens...
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,728 Senior Member
    Nice shootin' Zedrick, not so pretty a gun though. There appears to be enough "extra" wood on the fore end to remove that checkering if you so desire though. :tooth:

Concerning the velocity, there are points where the pressure/burn rate and alignment of the universe just do strange things to the world of internal ballistics. Every increase in powder charge increases the amount of mass having to be accelerated down the bore, with all your specifics, that one step up in charge weight didn't gain you enough to increase the velocity of the heavier mass, or as Jayhawker so eloquently stated
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 704 Senior Member
    Nice shooting, I'm a Savage man when it comes to lever guns but those Marlins are sorely tempting.
    For a bit less than Marlin wants this guy does custom loops http://www.mulemangunworks.com/mule-loops-custom-levers/, not sure how up to date he is looking at his website, but I find his designs a lot more practical than the "rifleman" style, which I find a bit extreme personally.

Or I'm sure CPJ has a BFH he'd be willing to put to use for a good cause
    Jay wrote: »
    You get a $100 rebate with the rifle. The trigger is just over $100. And Brownells has a promo code for $10 off $99 plus free shipping. It's like buying a Guide Gun at normal cost, but getting a decent trigger.

I've shot one. With the Decelerator recoil pad. Both worth the investment, IMO. YMMV

You could be a used car salesman.

Science!!!

:-)
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    Nice Boomer :guns: :guns:

If you can't live with the cross-bolt safety here is an idy that is simple to keep the safety in the fire position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqgge7WzZ18

Plus there are a few other ways without making a permanent change to your rifle out there, if you choose not to. Including just tightening a screw.

Me on my 1895, it threw me off when I first got it until I got used to it. Funny, only owned one other lever gun in my life 25 years ago and fired a few more. Little as I shoot mine I'll keep it like it is and live with it.

Seems a tang mounted safety would be easier to see and manipulate, like on shotguns. I guess a safety is a good thing over just the Half-Cock if you go around with a round chambered.

It sure is despised by many, though.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Seems the major complaints are the safety was on and when they pulled the trigger they didn't realize it and got a big click and no bang while hunting.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    I agree it's a redundant measure. And, a bit of an eyesore.

One day, I may get around to changing it. But, trigger and recoil pad are first.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,796 Senior Member
    FWIW...

The Hornady 8th edition lists book max H4198 at 52 gr ( 2400 fps ) for that bullet , while the Lee Second Edition lists book max for a 300 gr jacketed bullet at 60 gr compressed ( 2424 fps ) so at 60.5 you are over. Lee lists 63 gr compressed as book max for a bolt gun or Ruger #1 .

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I put a Limb Saver slip on pad on mine, they tell you to remove the factory butt pad first. They have different ones for Marlins, depends on when it was made and the model and stock. Mine fits OK, but when I put it in a rifle sock that fits tight it will pull it back some. I looked at charts and even called them, but I should have took more precise measurements before buying one at a Walmart. It stays put while firing though.

I also bought a strap-on Limb Saver that straps on my shoulder which is nice for any rifle.
    I guess that Limb Saver slip-on butt-pad works pretty good. Several folks fired my 1895 at the last SE Shoot and said it wasn't bad at all on them in the recoil department. Of course, my loads were 350 grain plated bullets loaded down to maybe 1400-1500 FPS, not ball busters.

I think Zorba fired it too???
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,684 Senior Member
    That is VERY nice! I agree- get the crossbolt replacement so you dont have to worry about the darn thing
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov