The Guide Gun LIVES!!!

13»

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,369 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Seems the major complaints are the safety was on and when they pulled the trigger they didn't realize it and got a big click and no bang while hunting.

It encourages people to walk around with a full cocked rifle....disastrous if they get their hands on a older lever gun not so equipped....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 21,251 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    FWIW...

The Hornady 8th edition lists book max H4198 at 52 gr ( 2400 fps ) for that bullet , while the Lee Second Edition lists book max for a 300 gr jacketed bullet at 60 gr compressed ( 2424 fps ) so at 60.5 you are over. Lee lists 63 gr compressed as book max for a bolt gun or Ruger #1 .

D

Hodgdon lists the following load data for the 300gr Sierra HP of comparable design:
    55.0 H4198 as Max (2,221 fps) - Trapdoor Springfields
    60.0gr H4198 as Max (2,424 fps) - Marlin Lever Guns
    63.0gr H4198 as Max (2,532 fps) - Modern Rifles (Ruger No.1)

I'm running the same bullet out of my .458 Win Mag with 67.0gr H4198 @ 2,605 fps.

I think I'm alright with the load I'm running in the Marlin.

Just gotta smack a critter now.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Well....get to smackin then...:silly:
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Well....get to smackin then...:silly:

I've been unmotivated to hunt pigs in this heat as of late. I now have a reason, though.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,475 Senior Member
    I like everything about that setup. Very nice work!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Nice shootin' Zedrick, not so pretty a gun though. There appears to be enough "extra" wood on the fore end to remove that checkering if you so desire though. :tooth:

That's pressed checkering....it's hell to eradicate...
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,286 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Hodgdon lists the following load data for the 300gr Sierra HP of comparable design:
    55.0 H4198 as Max (2,221 fps) - Trapdoor Springfields
    60.0gr H4198 as Max (2,424 fps) - Marlin Lever Guns
    63.0gr H4198 as Max (2,532 fps) - Modern Rifles (Ruger No.1)

I'm running the same bullet out of my .458 Win Mag with 67.0gr H4198 @ 2,605 fps.

I think I'm alright with the load I'm running in the Marlin.

Just gotta smack a critter now.

You might do some fiddling with Accurate 5744, as it's a good option for filling the case for sane loads. Big don't need to be fast, and if you wanted a flat trajectory, you wouldn't be breaking out this thing.

Leupold's got their "Ultimate Slam" shotgun/muzzleloader scopes that would probably be decently compatible. Pondering one of the 2-7's for a cantilever shotgun I'm setting up for thinning the relations Illinois whitetails. https://www.leupold.com/scopes/shotgun-scopes/ultimateslam-3-9x40mm
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I do want to find a heavy load for it with 405gr bullets. Haven't decided whether I want them soft or stout yet. Though, I lean towards stout. Just because. I see no real reason for powder puff loads in this rifle.

In which case, I will be looking for a hard cast WFN-GC bullet.
    Got any Varget?
    Got any Varget?

Bah!! That powder hates me. I'm convinced.

I have 1 pound that I have used in test loads for about 3-4 cartridges. It has NEVER given me the accuracy and/or velocity I desired. I know it works well for others. Therefore.........it's not you........it's me.

So, we broke up.
    Well you COULD try a 405 LFP over 50 grains of Varget.....just sayin.....(approach that 50 grains carefully)
    Well you COULD try a 405 LFP over 50 grains of Varget.....just sayin.....(approach that 50 grains carefully)

Varget is dead to me! She has offended my honor!

;-)
    Varget is dead to me! She has offended my honor!

;-)

Don't be a hater....
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,286 Senior Member
    I do want to find a heavy load for it with 405gr bullets. Haven't decided whether I want them soft or stout yet. Though, I lean towards stout. Just because. I see no real reason for powder puff loads in this rifle.

In which case, I will be looking for a hard cast WFN-GC bullet.

"Stout" with .45-70 in a modern action is a very relative thing. A slow 405 will (and has) killed about anything that walks, it just rainbows more getting there. Pops is the buffalo rifler in the family, and we've run the spectrum - depending on gun weight and stock geometry, 1600 FPS seems to be where things start to transition from "This is fun, could do it all day" to "I think I might need to respect this". IIRC, his 1895 Marlin (standard rifle) runs 1900 with the RCBS gas checked flat nose, and that's definitely a hunting, not a playing load.

BTW - if you can get that same bullet pre-cast for you. . .it's not the most ominous-looking meplat out there, but it is a very ACCURATE bullet in everything we've fired it through.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee