Mossburg 25A help

FreezerFreezer Senior MemberPosts: 1,487 Senior Member
I cleaned and re-blued my nephew's 25a and it came out OK. I realized parts of the rear sight are missing. The receiver has two dove tails to accept a peep sight. I've been looking on the web for hours and can't find a either sight. I couldn't find a schematic either. The schematic would give me a part number that might lead to the correct parts as the 25A was only made for two or three years 1936-1938. Any advise or info would be appreciated.
I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,999 Senior Member
    All I could find was a barrel with sights, on e bay!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    I looked at the usual sources for parts, and all I found for the peep sight is that it is listed as a #3 peep sight. Looked for that and came up with nothing, which is what I expected. Finding an original peep sight of that vintage will be a long task, if one is even available, and expect to pay $160+ for it if it can be found.

Actually need some information on the rifle you have. Is the dovetail on the left side of the rear of the receiver? Does it mount with dovetail AND screws?

All I can find that MIGHT work is this one. It is a S100 sight replacement that replaces the #3 sight. Without having a clue how your sight was mounted this is all the info I have.

It's the OM22 sight in the list.
    http://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,829 Senior Member
    Freezer wrote: »
    I cleaned and re-blued my nephew's 25a and it came out OK. I realized parts of the rear sight are missing. The receiver has two dove tails to accept a peep sight. I've been looking on the web for hours and can't find a either sight. I couldn't find a schematic either. The schematic would give me a part number that might lead to the correct parts as the 25A was only made for two or three years 1936-1938. Any advise or info would be appreciated.

I might have the whole sight out in my parts bin..,let me go root around in the shop when I get home...send me a pic if you can...It yours if it's the right one...

ETA: No joy at first look...will keep at it in the morning...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    Thank you gentlemen, I'll try to get pics tomorrow. I'd like to stay with the rear site on the barrel but.

I saw that peep site on Havlin and I'm not sure if that will fit. I can't find a schematic with the part numbers. I have bought parts from Havlin before and will call them tomorrow. I saw a rear sight but they sat it won't fit the older .22s.
    I still have the main blade it's the adjustment parts that are missing.

There are two vertical dovetails on the left rear of the receiver. I assume the screws we see are attached to the male portion of the dovetail and secure them in place.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,999 Senior Member
    I just put one like that on the 151 I bought!
    The correct #3 peep sight only uses one dovetail and is locked in place by the elevation thumbscrew. The one on the havelin site I linked would need the base or drilled and tapped dovetails to attach it to the receiver, same as the one Wambli has.

Edited to correct my typo.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Actually the correct sight is a #3 and it was only made for a few years (below, both of these have had a replacement elevation screw replaced but I can't find a pic with the original which was more of a knob) Almost any other Mossberg .22 peep will work but will attach just using the one screw hole which is not a big deal on a .22. Some stock modifications (and potentially a taller front post) might be needed.

Corrected my typo error in post #8. I got it right in post #3.

And your #3 sight is not the same as the #3 sight I have vintage catalog picture of on page 193 of the book Old Gunsights A Collector's Guide, 1850-1965. Yours is either missing the graduated cam, or is the earliest version. :tooth: