Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Washington's new E-DUI LAW

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
It's now illegal to hold an electronic device even while stopped. The law includes grooming, smoking, and eating. Of course, the police are exempt.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/18/washington-state-enacts-new-e-dui-law-for-driving-under-influence-phones.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Government gone crazy.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    It's now illegal to hold an electronic device even while stopped. The law includes grooming, smoking, and eating. Of course, the police are exempt.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/18/washington-state-enacts-new-e-dui-law-for-driving-under-influence-phones.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, so much for Johnny Do Gooder reporting drunk drivers and instances of road rage to the (gasps) police.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,180 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Government gone crazy.

:that::agree:

I'm always eating while on the road - and no electronics while STOPPED?

Insane.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    Well, there goes all the fast food and coffee joints in the state of Washington. We'll probably start seeing SWAT raids at the local Drive-Thru's. :jester:

Edit to add "jester clown" so the government conformists don't get their panties in a bunch.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,063 Senior Member
    It's not a "Primary offense," as I understand it. IOW, you can't be stopped for this alone, it's a secondary offense. If you're stopped for some other reason, it's an added charge. I think texting while driving should be (and probably is) a primary, the PC for which is nearly impossible to prove.

Glad I don't live in WA, although I NEVER use a cellphone while driving or eat while driving. Certainly don't groom.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    It's not a "Primary offense," as I understand it. IOW, you can't be stopped for this alone, it's a secondary offense. If you're stopped for some other reason, it's an added charge. I think texting while driving should be (and probably is) a primary, the PC for which is nearly impossible to prove.
    That is how seat belts started in Michigan. Now it is a primary offense. Meanwhile, they made it legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    So does that include drinking coffee? If so a Starbucks Revolution is brewing based right in little ol' Seattle.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I don't live in WA, but I work in WA. The cops will be sitting just inside the border line. This is a secondary offense, but it is a moving violation. Meanwhile, the cops are on phones and watching their computers.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

zorba wrote: »
    :that::agree:

I'm always eating while on the road - and no electronics while STOPPED?

Insane.

He was being sarcastic.

Adam J. McCleod

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,287 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That is how seat belts started in Michigan. Now it is a primary offense. Meanwhile, they made it legal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Just saw where the MSP will be deploying unmarked units with the intent of cracking down on distracted drivers...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    He was being sarcastic.

I am being literal.

You assume because I'm LEO I don't recognize government over reach and idiocy?

That's quite bigoted.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    I am being literal.

You assume because I'm LEO I don't recognize government over reach and idiocy?

That's quite bigoted.

If this was in your jurisdiction, would you enforce it?

Adam J. McCleod

If this was in your jurisdiction, would you enforce it?

Nope.

This is already taken care of as careless driving or driving without due care. In essence, this applies chiefly to traffic crashes. You did something to impede your attention on the road and traffic and caused a crash. They can be primary stop offenses, but are rarely enforced as such. Failure to use due care is almost exclusively used for crashes.

This "e-DUI" is nonsensical if they have similar rules of the road that I mentioned above. Ticketing people for having a peripheral device or snack in their hands won't stop distractions from causing crashes.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Just saw where the MSP will be deploying unmarked units with the intent of cracking down on distracted drivers...

I nearly hit an unmarked THP Dodge 1500 pickup truck on the highway yesterday afternoon. He pulled out to chase a speeder, and for some reason failed to see the Dodge 2500 4WD diesel pickup in the opposite lane (me!). I pulled hard right and laid into the brakes, and used some pretty foul language out the rolled down side window as I slid past him on the shoulder. That's when he turned on his blue lights. :roll2:

How did that happen? He was on the left hand side of the road on the hard shoulder pointed West against traffic. Speeder was headed East. I was headed West. He did a U-turn and was fully in my lane when I hit the shoulder and laid into the brakes, AND horn. And you can lock those anti-lock brakes if you stomp the stuffin' out of them hard enough, and I did. At least he now knows his heredity! :rotflmao:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    And you can lock those anti-lock brakes if you stomp the stuffin' out of them hard enough, and I did. At least he now knows his heredity! :rotflmao:

The ABS unit wont allow this.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,521 Senior Member
    Dynamite the brakes and have the road surface change, you bet you can make them grab. Unless its a Chebby. Then they moo and you keep rolling.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    Nope.

This is already taken care of as careless driving or driving without due care. In essence, this applies chiefly to traffic crashes. You did something to impede your attention on the road and traffic and caused a crash. They can be primary stop offenses, but are rarely enforced as such. Failure to use due care is almost exclusively used for crashes.

This "e-DUI" is nonsensical if they have similar rules of the road that I mentioned above. Ticketing people for having a peripheral device or snack in their hands won't stop distractions from causing crashes.

This was exactly my argument against the law. But the leftists here never met a useless law to control behavior that they didn't like.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    The ABS unit wont allow this.

My skid marks and some noticeable flat spots on the front and rear tires say otherwise.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,861 Senior Member
    Best thing to do in Wa is to walk; but, don't use a trekking stick, they might make then illegal, too.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,720 Senior Member
    I bet the Washington state insurance lobby is high fiving each other right now.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,177 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    I bet the Washington state insurance lobby is high fiving each other right now.

Along with the people that make driverless cars..................
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement