Nut up, or shut up!

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 5,751 Senior Member
Well, Wednesday will be an interesting day. My long range shooting mentor is taking me and my "steel gun" (the afore mentioned 308 win 700 SPS varmint) to Laramie Wyoming to shoot steel to 1150! He looked at my targets from last time out and we are going long. Well, not by Zee's standards:tooth:. He sent me elevation and barametric pressure readings to put in my ballistics calculator and figure my "come ups" temp and humidity we will have to get then. The only issue with equipment so far is I don't have a 20 MOA base on my rifle. This is going to interesting to say the least! But AWESOME!
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,640 Senior Member
    If you can see it, you can hit it.

Good fortune in your endeavor. Wind will be your greatest enemy. Distance is a constant.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,751 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Good fortune in your endeavor. Wind will be your greatest enemy. Distance is a constant.
    Thanks! Laramie is know for contantly changing winds, strong winds and on a light breezy day trucks are blown over. I can't wait!
    A constant wind isn't bad. It's......well.......constant.

A shifting or changing wind is the fun one.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,078 Senior Member
    Good luck... anxiously awaiting range report....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,551 Senior Member

This. Distance means little. The wind....now, the wind is what makes things interesting.

The best (luckiest) shot I ever made was at a pdog at 344 yards (chip shot normally), but it was in a 54 mph broadside wind.

I wish I could say it was intentional, but it wasn't. I was firing a "spotter" six or so feet upwind of him. My intent was to kill him with my second shot.

Didn't need it.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »
    This. Distance means little. The wind....now, the wind is what makes things interesting.

The best (luckiest) shot I ever made was at a pdog at 344 yards (chip shot normally), but it was in a 54 mph broadside wind.

I wish I could say it was intentional, but it wasn't. I was firing a "spotter" six or so feet upwind of him. My intent was to kill him with my second shot.

Didn't need it.

Mike
    Guy that's my spotter/coach shoots there a couple times a month. He is also an F-class shooter, and a dang good one.
    Let me add, while Wind will be your greatest enemy towards hitting your target........it will also be your greatest teacher.

The only way to learn how to shoot in the wind is to..........shoot in the wind.
    I'll get practice there for sure!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,258 Senior Member
    When I went to the US Army's "Counter Sniper school" at FT Benning, back a long time ago, the wind was severe on one day. At 900 yards, to hit a steel target, I had to hold off about 42" to the right. As I remember. I also went to a sniper match in GA where the wind was so severe it blew the .223 off 9 or 10 inches at 100 yards. (I won the match, btw, even with a left 7 ring. and a 788 Rem rifle.)

Wind is a very important factor, even at close 100 yard range and a severe range. I can't remember but I think I was using a 55 gr. bullet with a 30 mph cross wind. I told the guy shooting after me to hold about a ten inches to the right, but he didn't.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,551 Senior Member

The only way to learn how to shoot in the wind is to..........shoot in the wind.

I thought that was my line. ;)....God knows I've said it often enough.

I never adjust the scope for wind. If you do, be prepared to chase bullets all day.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    I really learned about wind in Kansas...never stops...and I learned to love a Zero Value wind...
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I really learned about wind in Kansas...never stops...and I learned to love a Zero Value wind...
    Looking forward to this!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    Listen to theses guys. Distance you can dial, its just math with known constants. You know the bullet drop at a given distance, you know the graduations in your sighting system, you know the distance, and you click it in. Wind you have to interpret. Like Z said, the ONLY way to learn is to do.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,483 Senior Member
    Good luck! Have fun!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Good luck with it
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,162 Senior Member
    Let me add, while Wind will be your greatest enemy towards hitting your target........it will also be your greatest teacher.

+ 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,857 Senior Member
    A constant wind isn't bad. It's......well.......constant.

A shifting or changing wind is the fun one.

In all my life here on the Coast I have never seen a constant wind other than a tropical storm blowing 50 MPH. Wind is MY nemesis. His scope probably has enough adjustment to get to 1000 yards I would think, maybe not. But there's no static adjustment for a varying wind. And the worst part is while it may be 5 MPH at the bench, it could be calm or 10 MPH at the target and unless you're a wizard with reading wind flags or mirage it's a good luck policy.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Gene L wrote: »
    When I went to the US Army's "Counter Sniper school" at FT Benning, back a long time ago, the wind was severe on one day. At 900 yards, to hit a steel target, I had to hold off about 42" to the right. As I remember. I also went to a sniper match in GA where the wind was so severe it blew the .223 off 9 or 10 inches at 100 yards. (I won the match, btw, even with a left 7 ring. and a 788 Rem rifle.)

Wind is a very important factor, even at close 100 yard range and a severe range. I can't remember but I think I was using a 55 gr. bullet with a 30 mph cross wind. I told the guy shooting after me to hold about a ten inches to the right, but he didn't.

Gene, nothing wrong with a 788 Remington. Mine was the most accurate rifle I ever owned. How many matches at my club I won with that dude. I remember when I had a friend glass bed it and it went from <.5 MOA to 1.5-2 inch groups. I was sick. But I read some old Bench Rest publications written by the great Warren Page. He said sometimes you need a pressure point on some rifles. He was right. I put the pressure point back in the forend and it went back to ultra accurate. It was cheap but even though it was a rear locker, it was one accurate rifle. Yep Townsen Whelen would say it was very interesting.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

The Plain Truth!
    Jayhawker wrote: »

It actually stops here now and then, most notibly a couple days after a hard blowing cold front or in the summer at about 10 oclock at night until about 8 A.M. Other than that it's probably blowin' and goin'!!! And changin' every 10 seconds.
    In my part of KS the wind usually "laid down" sometime in the early morning and in the evening... doesn't mean there was no wind but at least round bales weren't being blown around the pasture...
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    You suck. I really wish I had somewhere around here to do stuff like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    I live in Laramie and have most of my life. When you are shooting up the canyon the wind will most likely come from at least 3 directions during your 1100 yds. If all long range hunters would and come and shoot here they would see just how easy it is to miss an elk at just 900 yds. Don't take it to serious and just have fun !!
    Just for reference, this is what 1,100 yards looks like from both ends.

pmcKqGA.jpg

hvlISZ1.jpg
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 375 Member
    Don't tell anyone I said this, but I went on a hunt out that way in '92, and the mulies dropped to the ground laughing at me. The wind is definitely an obstacle if you are not prepared to make the required adjustments. I was off on most shots by not inches, but feet.
    big elk wrote: »
    I live in Laramie and have most of my life. When you are shooting up the canyon the wind will most likely come from at least 3 directions during your 1100 yds. If all long range hunters would and come and shoot here they would see just how easy it is to miss an elk at just 900 yds. Don't take it to serious and just have fun !!
    That's why people practice there. It challenging! camt wait!! Cmon out!
    Just for reference, this is what 1,100 yards looks like from both ends.

pmcKqGA.jpg

hvlISZ1.jpg

hehe hehe, this is going to be fun!

hvlISZ1.jpg

Sucker rod sure is handy....about as many uses as duct tape
    Axe wrote: »
    Don't tell anyone I said this, but I went on a hunt out that way in '92, and the mulies dropped to the ground laughing at me. The wind is definitely an obstacle if you are not prepared to make the required adjustments. I was off on most shots by not inches, but feet.
    The altitude too. I have a 348 win that I loaded some cartridges for and shot some here in Colorado. Well, we moved to Ohio for a bit. The same rounds shot 1.5" lower there. We are back in CO and low and behold back to origional POA.