Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Form 3 Turnaround Times Coming Down

2»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    You don't really need a steel body for a suppressor. That would make it extremely barrel heavy. What you do need is volume, which again argues for aluminum in most guns.

Gene, there are MANY reasons why a steel outer shell is a superior choice to aluminum. And stainless steel is superior to carbon steel. The biggest advantage is that steel tubing can be used that is thinner and still provide more inherent strength than aluminum tubing, which has to be thicker to provide the same strength. The other readily obvious reason of steel over aluminum is that steel has a much higher ability to resist flame cutting. For .22 rimfire, aluminum is just fine. Outside that, I will have steel, or nothing.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Regarding suppressor construction, my personal opinion is that a thin steel sleeve wrapped in carbon fiber would be the best of all worlds. It's done for barrels, why not for suppressor bodies?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    The one I am waiting to finish has an aluminum tube and steel innards.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    The one I am waiting to finish has an aluminum tube and steel innards.

You shouldn't have a problem with yours as I wouldn't think you'll be blasting through three or four 30 round magazines as fast as you can pull the trigger.

And, as usual, I forgot something about steel vs. aluminum. Aluminum becomes pliable at a much lower temperature than steel. Also, aluminum expands at more than twice the rate of steel when heat is applied.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams