Home Main Category Hunting

Nebraska Spring turkey fan mount is done

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,148 Senior Member
UwRD7O.png

I've debated for years about making a really nice bird into a full body mount, but it's just too space-consuming and the cost is sky high. So, I decided to give my new taxidermist here in the Omaha area his first project on my behalf in the form of a fan mount. I told him to do something nice/different with the legs instead of just a typical spur display for this Nebraska hybrid bird, and I think he did a nice job. If you recall, the fan/beard/legs came from this bird...

0TNRvz.jpg

It's going to be a long wait for next Spring to try for an Eastern bird across the river in Iowa, but I think this fella earned himself some more work if I do manage to bag one.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,914 Senior Member
    Looks really NICE
    Do you have plans to put a plate on it with the info like where and date?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Looks really NICE
    Do you have plans to put a plate on it with the info like where and date?

I thought about that, but I have an alternative brewing in my head. There are companies that will print a picture on a piece of wood. I got to thinking that I may have one done and Photoshop the hunt details into the pic I submit so you see me with the actual bird with the location/date embedded. Then I just mount that right under the fan display. Boom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Nice
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    Great job....I have done all of mine similarly....a full size turkey takes up way too much room and it's hard to come up with something really original....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I thought about that originality thing hard when I considered that full-body option. While I didn't do it this time, I may considered it when I retire and have no kids in the house.

On that originality note, know of anyone who has a tom-humping-decoy arrangement? :tooth:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I thought about that originality thing hard when I considered that full-body option. While I didn't do it this time, I may considered it when I retire and have mo kids in the house.

On that originality note, know of anyone who has a tom-humping-decoy arrangement? :tooth:

The correct place to display this mount is above the bed headboard.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    The correct place to display this mount is above the bed headboard.

The guy in me thinks, "how could she not love it?"
    I had my Buck mount above the bed for awhile, until "other" women saw it there, then it got moved.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    cpj wrote: »
    100 Man points for hanging it over the bed.
    200 Man points subtracted for allowing other women to convince the wife to move it.

Interior design professionals of the female persuasion, they were what you call experts in design, I was making a small concession to keep from having a pink bedroom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,988 Senior Member
    Very nice!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    I thought about that originality thing hard when I considered that full-body option. While I didn't do it this time, I may considered it when I retire and have mo kids in the house.

That's interesting....
    I have seen a mount that involved two Tom's fighting over a hen standing demurely in the background......damn thing took up half the room....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Very nice Luis! Will your new home state allow you o use your .36 on turkeys? robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    That's interesting....
    I have seen a mount that involved two Tom's fighting over a hen standing demurely in the background......damn thing took up half the room....

That's just the never ending issue with turkey mounts. They almost need their own house to fit themin for anything full body, let alone multiple birds!
    HAWKEN wrote: »
    Very nice Luis! Will your new home state allow you o use your .36 on turkeys? robin
    Unfortunately, no .36 cal nor any other single projectiles allowed in this state, *but* if I had a 20GA flintlock fowler being built that should be done sometime around never, that might open up some possibilities...but I ain't saying nothing.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,914 Senior Member
    I thought about that, but I have an alternative brewing in my head. There are companies that will print a picture on a piece of wood. I got to thinking that I may have one done and Photoshop the hunt details into the pic I submit so you see me with the actual bird with the location/date embedded. Then I just mount that right under the fan display. Boom.

That is a MO BETTA idea
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Woodsrunner has a flintlock fowler with a barrel long enough to whack a close range bird upside the head with it. He just might be persuaded to part with it, if you'd learn to shoot from the proper shoulder!
    Jerry
    '
    Teach wrote: »
    Woodsrunner has a flintlock fowler with a barrel long enough to whack a close range bird upside the head with it. He just might be persuaded to part with it, if you'd learn to shoot from the proper shoulder!
    Jerry
    '

I am already knee-deep in a fictional order for a correct-handed fowler (lefty, that is) that is alleged to become a real order sometime around November. I'll have some time to cook the books and conceal it from the wife by then...hopefully. That said, I can be certain that *anything* that woodsrunner owns would be worth owning if he wanted to part with it.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    I really like the way that fan mount turned out. Just beautiful.

Sako
    Thanks, Tom. Long term, I want 3 more just like this: a Rio Grande, Osceola and a Merriam's. If I was ever lucky enough to hunt one, I'd LOVE to add Oscellated and Gould's turkeys, too, but the standard grand slam is the priority before the expensive, travel hunts. I have a fan from a Montana Merriam's turkey on the way, but I failed to keep the legs. I now officially regret that move.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,110 Senior Member
    I like that mount and with your idea of the pic it will make an awesome trophy with history attached.

I have 5 full mount pheasants at my place. All of them encapsulate a very special memory of events that took place a long time ago. When I pass on they will just become another stuffed bird..............but when I look at them they transport me back in time. Without kids, and my only nephew not interested in hunting they will simply fade into obscurity.
    Your trophy however will mean something to future generations of your kin so I like what you have planned.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Thanks, Alec - I hope it turns out as well as I envision it and that someone down the line might care to keep it around when I'm gone.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Save at least one of those turkey feet for the classic "middle finger" mount!
    Jerry
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Jerry

I have one of those and the beard from the 28 pound Eastern I killed in North Carolina, with a .270 while sitting in a deer blind..........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Jerry

What SUCKS is that I had one made from the bird I shot at your place and it got lost in the move!
    KbjAPL.jpg

Conveniently enough, my Montana Merriam's turkey fan display from Powder River taxidermy (a Broadus, MT outfit) showed up today. Aside from some artistic differences between the taxidermists that worked on each (display color, fan angle, amount of forefeathers rows) you can see that these fans are very similar.

The hybrid bird that I shot (left) clearly has a lot of Merriam genes showing: white tail tips with creamy forefeather tips and black banding in the second outermost ring. However, if you look in that second outermost band in the pure Merriam's bird fan (right), you can see a bronze, iridescent ring within the black ring that is abscent from the hybrid bird's fan. It's subtle, but enough to tell them apart.

You can also see that the pure Merriam's fan is noticably smaller than the hybrid bird. Not surprising, as Merriam's tend to be smaller all around than all other subspecies except perhaps the Osceola. My Merriam's beard is only 7.5" vs. my hybrid's 10.5" beard. The Merriam's spurs were only 0.75" and rounded/dull vs. the hybrid's 1.25" sharp hooks. Odds are good in my mind that the hybrid has dominant Merriam genes with some Eastern influence.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    I've killed one wild turkey in my life.

On the plains of central Texas.

With a .270 Winchester.

I know....I can hardly believe it myself.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 303tom303tom Member Posts: 43 Member
    Them are nice !.............
    Linefinder wrote: »
    I've killed one wild turkey in my life.

On the plains of central Texas.

With a .270 Winchester.

I know....I can hardly believe it myself.

Mike
    Was there any of it left to eat?
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,035 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Was there any of it left to eat?

Yep, all of it. I'm pretty good with that rifle, and placed the Ballistic Tip just below where the thigh meets the belly.
    Dropped most of the guts out like pouring them out of a zip lock. Except for guts and a few feathers, nothing was missing.

I'm not a big fan of turkey, and until this one, all I'd ever eaten was the domesticated version. What a difference. Hard to believe they're the same animal.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    303tom wrote: »
    Them are nice !.............

Thanks, 303! Both were very memorable hunts.
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Yep, all of it. I'm pretty good with that rifle, and placed the Ballistic Tip just below where the thigh meets the belly.
    Dropped most of the guts out like pouring them out of a zip lock. Except for guts and a few feathers, nothing was missing.

I'm not a big fan of turkey, and until this one, all I'd ever eaten was the domesticated version. What a difference. Hard to believe they're the same animal.

Mike

I take no issue with the breast of wild turkey eaten as they are. The legs, however, are a different tale. Forget trying oven bake them like a Thanksgiving bird. It will ruin them.

In my experience, the legs from the wild birds *must* be slow-cooked (preferably in a marinade or preferred sauce mix), or they turn out as an inedible mass of rubbery tendon. When you slow-cook them, those tendons harned up and fall right out of the meat. You just remove them and have a delicious, tender meat akin to pulled pork that goes awesome on sandwiches.