Home Main Category General Firearms

Walnut brass media

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
Used if for the first time and I can tell there is a "red" dust inside the cartridges. Not chunks but a light dust. Can I reload without doing a second "bath" to wash out the dust? Simpleton question, I am sure, but just want to make sure that this "dust" isn't an issue. Walnut media did an outstanding job polishing up the brass. Very pleased with the results.

Thanks,
Patrick

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,539 Senior Member
    I just give the brass a tap before I set it in the press or the primer seater and have not noticed any problems.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    A small air compressor and a blow gun does a great job of removing walnut tumbler dust and clearing out flash holes if you're using corncob media with the primers removed. Give each case a quick blast of air as you're filling the holes in your loading blocks. If you don't want to deal with a noisy compressor, fill a portable air tank and attach the blow gun to the hose. A 100 PSI fill will clean several hundred cases.
    Jerry
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    A dryer sheet cuts down on the dust but I never worried about the red tint inside.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,385 Senior Member
    I think it's the rouge on the media. I used it once and wiped the outside, ignored the inside. Now I use corncobs.

If you want to remove it, get a can of "Blow Off" which is canned air for cleaning computer keyboards and other electronics. It's cheaper than an air compressor.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,983 Senior Member
    They'll be fine....I've loaded on top of the red dust with no issues. A couple taps and a wipe and you're ready.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Thanks, I figured it was ok but best be certain.

Patrick
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Be sure to get everything- - - -including dry case lube, off the outside of the brass. A slippery case that can't grip the chamber walls on firing can create false pressure signs like flattening lettering or stamping the impression of the ejector slot on the case head. I wipe cases down with a rag slightly moistened with lacquer thinner.
    Jerry
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,786 Senior Member
    I use untreated fine ground walnut media, brass is clean and nothing stuck in flash hole. I tap the case after cleaning.
    Always wipe down brass as Teach said.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I always wash but to answer your question, no it won't hurt.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member