UPDATED: NICE new leather from an outfit called 1791...

Wambli SkaWambli Ska ModeratorPosts: 26,680 Senior Member
edited May 7 in General Firearms #1
An update on the post below.  I'm happy to announce that the two holsters have held up exceptionally well and have become my main holsters for carrying the guns they were bought for.  So much so that I just ordered/received another one for my Dan Wesson.  It is as well made as the other two and will be spending a lot of time on my belt.  So if anyone is looking for great quality new leather 1791 is an absolute winner!!!  The price is still under $50 delivered to my house and they are available on eBay and Amazon.  I don't think they will stay at that price point for long.

Original Post:
I went to a local LGS yesterday and found these. I'd never heard about this outfit (1791 Gunleather) before but the owner tells me the guy that started the company was from Galco and was looking to bring back a solid quality leather holster at a reasonable price to the market. Follow this link and you'll get a very nice 360 view of their holster!

Made out of USA leather and they come with a lifetime warrantee. For $45 a piece I figured it was worth experimenting. First impressions are VERY positive. Good quality thick leather, neat/even heavy stitching and edges are very nicely dressed. good leather finish inside and out, tight initial fit (which is good) but not stupid snug as some holsters I've bought lately so they are nicely molded. They feel like they will give me many years of good service. I picked one up for my P229 and another one for the Glock 43. I'm very impressed!

As of lately I've been picking up a lot of "vintage" DeSantis, Bianchi and other holsters on eBay because quite frankly I have not been very happy with some of the current output by the old standards. When you put a 70-80s vintage Bianchi next to a new one you know immediately which one is which. These guys seem to be doing things the old fashioned way so there are probably a few more of their holsters in my future. I think I'll be getting a new 5" 1911 next.
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    Looks like nice work..the pattern is one I've been using for quite some time..
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Looks like nice work..the pattern is one I've been using for quite some time..

Yep it's a classic pattern that works and while I've been doing the appendix carry thing a fair bit lately if I KNOW I'll be out all day a 3:00 carry in a standard leather holster is still definitely the more comfortable way of carrying, specially the heavier guns.

I like the fact that they double up the leather in the critical area. That's where my holster seem to wear a bit and it really helps in keeping the holster open for re-holstering without adding a ton of unnecessary bulk.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,067 Senior Member
    Those look pretty good. Keep us updated on how they fare under use.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,968 Senior Member
    Looks like better craftsmanship than some of the "custom" high dollar holsters I've seen.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,862 Senior Member
    The finish looks great on those. I'll be shopping for new gun leather soon enough. Might be following your lead here if they make any lefty stuff.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    The finish looks great on those. I'll be shopping for new gun leather soon enough. Might be following your lead here if they make any lefty stuff.
    You'll be happy to know they do!
    cpj wrote: »
    Looks like better craftsmanship than some of the "custom" high dollar holsters I've seen.
    Don't know if it's better, but it's definitely good. My be been looking hard and I can't find one flaw on either holster.
    Eli wrote: »
    Those look pretty good. Keep us updated on how they fare under use.
    Will do! Tomorrow I'll be carrying the 229 all day as a first test.
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 369 Member
    Kinda looks like some of my Milt Sparks holsters, but your price is much more reasonable.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,144 Senior Member
    Too bad they do not offer N frame holsters
    I have a need for speed
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,709 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

Or an NN holster personalized for you Ned :jester:

Nice to see some quality affordable workmanship using leather and not plastic out there. :up: :applause:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,246 Senior Member
    Very nice! I've settled on the flat back pancake style for daily OWB carry; might have to peruse his offerings...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
    Axe wrote: »
    Kinda looks like some of my Milt Sparks holsters, but your price is much more reasonable.
    Yep, they do.
    NN wrote: »
    Not yet. Hoping they will in the future. Would love one of these for my custom 629.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Or an NN holster personalized for you Ned :jester:

Nice to see some quality affordable workmanship using leather and not plastic out there. :up: :applause:

Me too. Kydex has put too many wannabes in the business. Not that it doesn't have its place but let's face it it's a really cheap material that takes seconds to mold and minutes to finish.
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    Very nice! I've settled on the flat back pancake style for daily OWB carry; might have to peruse his offerings...
    You won't be disappointed.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,879 Senior Member
    Will be interesting to see how the one size fits many works out. Have always liked the idea of being able to use one holster for more than one gun, just have not found the right one yet. Hope this one works
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,563 Senior Member
    Look great! I'm still struggling to find a good OWB holster for a couple of guns. I recently bought a Versacarry weird-ass holster that can go either way, IWB or OWB. ( Versacarry has several swing-either-way holster styles.) It's for my Shield and it's minimal...has a yellow post at the bottom that fits into the muzzle when holstered and as weird as it sounds, it works just fine. I think it keeps the gun from shifting in the holster and binding up.

Yours look a lot better. I've got a Galco that is bendy enough to fit tight against my appendix, but it's impossible to draw the gun from unless I loosely belt it. Then it hangs out making CC a bit tricky.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Something as hard and scratchy as Kydex is bound to do a number on bluing eventually. Of course, the leftover tanning chemicals in a lot of leather holsters, combined with humidity and sweat, would probably have the same effect. Maybe a Tupperware gun in a plastic holster that doesn't matter if it gets a bunch of butt-ugly holster wear would be the logical answer. If you want instant ugly, I'll bet Eli would be happy to fire up his soldering iron!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how the one size fits many works out. Have always liked the idea of being able to use one holster for more than one gun, just have not found the right one yet. Hope this one works
    They have some generic fit holsters but these are molded to the guns I bought them for. The bigger holster is for a SIG P226 which works well for the 229 and 228 and will get me ready for the 226 I intend to buy in the future now that I know the right grip/trigger make the SIG a great fit for my hand.
    Teach wrote: »
    Something as hard and scratchy as Kydex is bound to do a number on bluing eventually. Of course, the leftover tanning chemicals in a lot of leather holsters, combined with humidity and sweat, would probably have the same effect. Maybe a Tupperware gun in a plastic holster that doesn't matter if it gets a bunch of butt-ugly holster wear would be the logical answer. If you want instant ugly, I'll bet Eli would be happy to fire up his soldering iron!
    Jerry

Kydex does do a number on most gun finishes, specially nice blued guns. If you practice your draw for a few hours you'll see worn spots in one day.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Will do! Tomorrow I'll be carrying the 229 all day as a first test.
    Gene L wrote: »
    Look great! I'm still struggling to find a good OWB holster for a couple of guns. I recently bought a Versacarry weird-ass holster that can go either way, IWB or OWB. ( Versacarry has several swing-either-way holster styles.) It's for my Shield and it's minimal...has a yellow post at the bottom that fits into the muzzle when holstered and as weird as it sounds, it works just fine. I think it keeps the gun from shifting in the holster and binding up.

Yours look a lot better. I've got a Galco that is bendy enough to fit tight against my appendix, but it's impossible to draw the gun from unless I loosely belt it. Then it hangs out making CC a bit tricky.
    Happy to announce that I carried the 229 all day yesterday in the 1791 and it worked well. By the end of the day the leather had worked itself to a state of good retention but easy draw/holtering without loosing any stiffness. Holster distributes the weight nicely against your hip taking away the challenge of carrying a "big" gun and 13 rounds of .40S&W. Easily concealed while wearing Columbia shorts, 511 nylon belt and a slightly oversized North Face shirt. Very happy so far, we'll see how they hold up long term.
    So you been "Slapping Leather" in front of a mirror in yer bedroom to get used to your new accessory?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    So you been "Slapping Leather" in front of a mirror in yer bedroom to get used used to your new accessory?

Heard he's had to replace the mirror twice.....:jester:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

:whip2: :whip2: :roll2: :roll2: :rotflmao:
    So you been "Slapping Leather" in front of a mirror in yer bedroom to get used to your new accessory?
    :whip2: :whip2: :roll2: :roll2: :rotflmao:

It was only once and it was not a mirror that lost the draw. Let's just say snap caps are now accesory "de rigueur" when I practice drawing and dry firing... :tooth:
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It was only once and it was not a mirror that lost the draw. Let's just say snap caps are now accesory "de rigueur" when I practice drawing and dry firing... :tooth:

Do tell....... we won't tell anyone.............promise :tooth:
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,167 Senior Member

You win post of the month.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Do tell....... we won't tell anyone.............promise :tooth:
    Nope...
    Linefinder wrote: »
    You win post of the month.

Mike
    You guys are funny!... oh I accidentally peed in the hot tub and grabbed the Swedish bikini team and all the good booze in the cave. See you guys next week... :tooth: