Home Main Category Clubhouse

How do you like your eggs?

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 10,813 Senior Member
I like eggs for breakfast, every day. I'll eat them fried any way, omelette, scrambled, soft boiled, hard boiled, or poached - anything but raw, basically. I make pretty decent omelettes, with onions and bell pepper, mushrooms, cheese, etc., or any similar variation. Mrs. Bisley likes to soft boil them for me, British style, because they are harder to eat and she can restrict me to two of them. Or sometimes she poaches them with chopped tomatoes, or scrambles them with bits of sausage or bacon, to wrap in a flour tortilla. If we have company (grandkids, usually), she may also do hash browns, biscuits and gravy with sliced tomatoes, etc. I like 'em all.

But, left to my own devices, after sending my lovely bride of nearly 44 years off to work, I like to just fry them, over easy, in a small amount of bacon grease, usually three if I'm having bacon or sausage with them, or sometimes four with nothing but buttered toast. I cook them one at a time in a small no-stick pan, on fairly low heat and take them up before the yolk starts to set.

I also make whole wheat buttered toast and sop up all the yellow and bacon grease, just like the Okies that raised me used to do...before their bad arteries took them out. :tooth:

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,546 Senior Member
    I can NOT flip an egg without busting the yolk. You want over easy?? Scrambled it is!!
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,603 Senior Member
    Yes to all of the above with the one exception being soft boiled, never could get excited about those. If you really want to clog your arteries, after frying your bacon toss a split english muffin into the pan and fry golden brown. serve your egg on top or on the side but a bite of each is wonderful:drool:

Sako
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I use two spatulas and pick at it around the edges till the yoke gently breaks free from the pan. Then I work one spatula up underneath, while holding the egg in place with the other spatula, then flip it up onto the second spatula and let it slide back in easily. Then smooth the wrinkles out. It's not textbook, and real chefs would laugh, but my eggs come out the way I like them.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    sakodude wrote: »
    Yes to all of the above with the one exception being soft boiled, never could get excited about those. If you really want to clog your arteries, after frying your bacon toss a split english muffin into the pan and fry golden brown. serve your egg on top or on the side but a bite of each is wonderful:drool:

Not my favorite, but much more sensible if you're trying to be healthy, which I pretend to be doing, occasionally.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,682 Senior Member
    Over Easy
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Over hard, in a sandwich.

I once had to explain to my son what a soft boiled egg is. It seems to have fallen from favor many years ago.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • forty5forty5 New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    Over easy sometimes and scramble.
    :yesno:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I like eggs any way, shape, or form but over easy edges out everything else. We have chickens and those rich orange yolks beg to be sopped up with toast.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I was in France a few years ago for work. We were trapped in a conference room and they brought us boxed lunch.

Mine had what appeared to be a chilled slaw (cabbage, onions, olives) with a big, white, malformed thing on top. The white thing was a soft boiled (poached?) egg. I didn't realize this until I poked it with my fork. It was so far outside my comfort zone, just looking at it was scary.

I do not know what the name of the dish was, but it was awesome!

This looks close:

855669.jpg
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,916 Senior Member
    I like them over medium with the yolks partly cooked, and either plain or with cheddar cheese on them. Surprisingly, I generally can flip them without breaking the yolk. I think the key is cooking them long enough on one side before flipping it, and not tossing it hard into the pan while flipping it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    Fried, over hard, break the yolk, in bacon grease. Hard boiled, all cooked. Omelets, scrambled, added to a skillet full of leftovers, cooked hard on a burger..... I want to eat my embryos dead.

Egg nog on the other hand they go in raw. That is real egg nog, not that trash in the store.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I use the same type of round-sided aluminum pan the diner-style restaurants like Waffle House have. When clean and well-lubed with bacon grease or Pam, etc. the eggs slide around easily and turn over with a quick flip of the wrist- - - -no turner needed! I also use a tight-fitting lid and add about 3 or 4 drops of water to steam the whites quickly before flipping the eggs. Mary gets very frustrated with my technique- - - -she can't get the wrist flip right. I guess running a grill at breakfast time at the diner across the street from a college dorm taught me a thing or two about preparing a couple of hundred breakfasts every morning!
    Jerry
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Spray some Pam in the pan, let it get warmed up good on med heat before dropping in the eggs. Let them cook some before you try to flip if that is what you are gonna do.

If you want scrambled or omelets whip them good first with a small hand held one. Need them mixed up good so as not to have hunks of yellow yoke and white separate from each other. Some folks add a tad of milk before whisking.

Pay a little more and get the Cage Free and/or Veg eggs, they DO taste better, don't have to buy the "Organic" expensive ones, but there is a difference to me in the varieties on the shelf. Most of the ones I buy are brown. I don't eat that many, but when I do I have my preferences.

Each to his/her own as there are many ways to cook/fry eggs and in the end you are the only one (family/guest maybe) you need to please.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,922 Senior Member
    I like 'em scrambled, boiled, omelets, fried with a soft yolk, however. Never had 'em poached, that I know of.

Oh an I use bacon grease.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I like eggs.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,162 Senior Member
    Over medium at home...scrambled when I'm out...amazing how many cooks can't fry an egg....

I have a perfectly seasoned cast iron egg pan... that's the only thing that gets cooked in it...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    One of the small hand held high speed electric mixers works well for scrambled eggs and/or omelets. I like to add a tablespoon of sour cream instead of milk to a 2 or 3 egg omelet, whip the eggs and dairy to a froth, and pour it into a hot, well-greased skillet. Then add shredded cheddar cheese, chopped bell pepper, onion, and maybe some crisp-fried bacon crumbles just before folding the omelet in half.
    Jerry
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    All of my scrubs were getting WAY too tight, and I'm too damn cheap to buy new ones, so I'm doing the no-carb thing.

As a result, I've been eating a LOT more eggs than in the past. Fried in bacon fat, over-easyish (can't use breads to sop anything up, so I want the yolks to be just on the border of liquid and solid), with some herbs and spices and a bit of hot sauce is probably my favorite. I also enjoy them scrambled with cheese. Not a huge fan of plain boiled eggs, but I LOVE pickled eggs.
    Technique? Either cast iron or a griddle top, bacon grease, butter... or both, and one of these...
    https://www.webstaurantstore.com/8-x-3-solid-turner-plastic-handle/69333860.html
    It doesn't have to be that specific one, but that 8x3 shape with the rounded edges and a flexible blade. I am lost without one. Burgers, sandwiches, pancakes, sunny side up, scrambled, over easy, omelets... that type of turner is the secret to my success.
    -Thomas Paine
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,730 Senior Member
    Over easy if I make them and I take them to the border of over medium. Order over medium so there is no white snot...... but sometimes there is still snot.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Eli wrote: »
    All of my scrubs were getting WAY too tight, and I'm too damn cheap to buy new ones, so I'm doing the no-carb thing.

As a result, I've been eating a LOT more eggs than in the past. Fried in bacon fat, over-easyish (can't use breads to sop anything up, so I want the yolks to be just on the border of liquid and solid), with some herbs and spices and a bit of hot sauce is probably my favorite. I also enjoy them scrambled with cheese. Not a huge fan of plain boiled eggs, but I LOVE pickled eggs.
    Make yourself some breakfast burritos with low carb tortillas-- eggs, cheese, ham, sausage, onions, and peppers. Thank me later. These are my new favorite low carb tortilla. 5 net carbs and they taste just as good as any regular store bought tortilla...
    http://olemex.com/index.php/2013-07-26-20-44-53/traditional-mexican/item/178-high-fiber-tortilla-wraps-8
    -Thomas Paine
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Sounds like a version of the classic French Frisée Salad. The slaw is endives not cabbage.

I knew someone here would know! Now I can find a recipe. :up:

Thanks!
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Jermanator wrote: »
    Make yourself some breakfast burritos with low carb tortillas-- eggs, cheese, ham, sausage, onions, and peppers. Thank me later. These are my new favorite low carb tortilla. 5 net carbs and they taste just as good as any regular store bought tortilla...
    http://olemex.com/index.php/2013-07-26-20-44-53/traditional-mexican/item/178-high-fiber-tortilla-wraps-8

When the kids were young, I used to make those in big batches and wrap them individually in cellophane and freeze them. They just had to grab one and nuke it for a quick breakfast, lunch, or snack. I made them for Debbie a while back and now she always has a few in the freezer.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,092 Senior Member
    Over easy and cooked on cast iron.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Spray some Pam in the pan, let it get warmed up good on med heat before dropping in the eggs. Let them cook some before you try to flip if that is what you are gonna do.

If you want scrambled or omelets whip them good first with a small hand held one. Need them mixed up good so as not to have hunks of yellow yoke and white separate from each other. Some folks add a tad of milk before whisking.

Pay a little more and get the Cage Free and/or Veg eggs, they DO taste better, don't have to buy the "Organic" expensive ones, but there is a difference to me in the varieties on the shelf. Most of the ones I buy are brown. I don't eat that many, but when I do I have my preferences.

Each to his/her own as there are many ways to cook/fry eggs and in the end you are the only one (family/guest maybe) you need to please.

When we had our own chickens, I became completely spoiled....best eggs I ever ate...today we only eat farm eggs....find yourself someone who has a sign out and buy your eggs from them. We pay less than two bucks a dozen for brown eggs from seriously spoiled chickens...and go through about three dozen a week...

Also...if you do any baking and know where to get duck eggs...do yourself a favor and try them...
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    When we had our own chickens, I became completely spoiled....best eggs I ever ate...today we only eat farm eggs....find yourself someone who has a sign out and buy your eggs from them. We pay less than two bucks a dozen for brown eggs from seriously spoiled chickens...and go through about three dozen a week...

We got so used to farm eggs that when we lost our chickens and had storebought eggs for a while, they seemed tasteless. We built a 20'x12'x6' tall chain link coop to keep them safe at night and they prowl the pastures by day and we're back to having great tasting eggs again. I googled around and learned that farm eggs are also much healthier than storebought eggs with 2 to 10 times more omega 3 fats, twice the vitamin E, 3 to 6 times the vitamin D, and more antioxidants. They're also supposed to have lower levels of bad cholesterol but I couldn't find any specific numbers. We only have five hens and a rooster and they produce twice as many eggs as we can consume.
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Our chickens keep us in good supply of eggs (liquid chickens). I thought I knew just about every way to fix an egg, but this thread has shown that I have more to experience.

Here chicken, chicken, chicken....
    Support your local Scouts!
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    We got so used to farm eggs that when we lost our chickens and had storebought eggs for a while, they seemed tasteless. We built a 20'x12'x6' tall chain link coop to keep them safe at night and they prowl the pastures by day and we're back to having great tasting eggs again. I googled around and learned that farm eggs are also much healthier than storebought eggs with 2 to 10 times more omega 3 fats, twice the vitamin E, 3 to 6 times the vitamin D, and more antioxidants. They're also supposed to have lower levels of bad cholesterol but I couldn't find any specific numbers. We only have five hens and a rooster and they produce twice as many eggs as we can consume.

Aside from scratch grain and laying mash, my wife fed her birds cooked oatmeal with apples and raisins (warm during the winter months) daily....certainly went a long way towards the quality of the eggs.
    My chickens free range. They eat very little feed in the spring and summer months. They will eat bugs, mice, snakes, worms, songbird chicks that fall from nests...little velocirapors.

The yolks are almost orange.

Adam J. McCleod

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    unfertilized.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.