Home Main Category Clubhouse

How do you like your eggs?

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,164 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    My chickens free range. They eat very little feed in the spring and summer months. They will eat bugs, mice, snakes, worms, songbird chicks that fall from nests...little velocitrapors.

The yolks are almost orange.

I had a small flock whose sole function was to debug the garden...during hopper season, three of them would work the rows...one on either side and another up the middle...as described...little velociraptors...voracious hunters that did a great job....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Aside from scratch grain and laying mash, my wife fed her birds cooked oatmeal with apples and raisins (warm during the winter months) daily....certainly went a long way towards the quality of the eggs.

When we first got this batch, we fed them a bag of scratch feed that was given to us and we kept them in the coop for about a month so that they would home in on it and the yolks were yellow and they tasted like store bought eggs. Now they roam the property by day and stay mostly around the garden, house, and pasture. Their diet is bugs and cracked corn and the yolks are orange and Rich. With six horses, they discovered that horse poop harbors lots of bugs and they don't turn their noses (beaks) up at fire ants either. When they stand over a mound, the ants stream out to attack the disturbance and they just pick them off as they come out.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,813 Senior Member
    Over Medium.:applause: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 4,425 Senior Member
    I'm like most of ya'll and like eggs pretty much every way but raw. I'll take over easy most of the time. One of my favorites is scrambled with shredded brisket, onions, jalapenos and diced tomato. I like egg salad, pickled and deviled eggs, too. But people around me afterward don't really care for it as much.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,907 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I use the same type of round-sided aluminum pan the diner-style restaurants like Waffle House have. When clean and well-lubed with bacon grease or Pam, etc. the eggs slide around easily and turn over with a quick flip of the wrist- - - -no turner needed! I also use a tight-fitting lid and add about 3 or 4 drops of water to steam the whites quickly before flipping the eggs. Mary gets very frustrated with my technique- - - -she can't get the wrist flip right. I guess running a grill at breakfast time at the diner across the street from a college dorm taught me a thing or two about preparing a couple of hundred breakfasts every morning!
    Jerry

You should have said something, I suck at cooking eggs. I am pretty good at eating them. I grew up eating the eggs that wouldn't sell so they always got cooked over hard. I made a breakfast pizza the other night and am having a piece each morning for breakfast and it is good and quick. Jerm you may have to bring me something, I have not seen those around here but I am going to look, thanks.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,161 Senior Member
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Scrambled or fried over-medium in bacon grease. Sometimes I'll whip a tablespoon of good quality ricotta into the scrambled eggs, cook them up, and top them with shredded Parmesan cheese.

Add some fresh sourdough toast and call it done!
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Jerm you may have to bring me something, I have not seen those around here but I am going to look, thanks.
    Walmart has them around here, and a few other grocery stores. If you can't find those, La Banderita and Mission also make low carb tortillas. They are all pretty decent.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    zTIM_0.gif
    -Thomas Paine
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,161 Senior Member
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Dan's farmer scramble....

One medium to small red potato diced into 1/4 inch cubes
    One slice vidalia onion chopped medium to fine
    1/2 stalk of celery chopped thin
    Three eggs, scrambled in a bowl with two ounces whole milk
    Tablespoon of margarine
    Cheddar cheese, two slices
    Salt and pepper.

In a large skillet, grease with 1 tablespoon margarine and heat to medium / medium high

Place potatoes, onion and celery in pan and cover, heat for 6 minutes, turn over all and heat another six minutes. Potatoes should be browned, celery soft and onions clear.

Reduce heat to medium

And salt and pepper to taste to raw scrambled eggs. Pour over potatoes, celery and onions. Let cook for four minutes with lid on pan. Cover with two slices of cheddar cheese and let cook until eggs are hard. Fold over into omelette and serve hot.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    Late winter/spring this year, our local Kroger for some reason made gallons of milk $1.05 and large eggs 49 cents a dozen. Even better, medium eggs were 39 cents a dozen. We ate a lot of eggs earlier this year. The kids got good at cooking them they ways they like them too.

My personal favorite is a ham, cheese, and mushroom omelet. Last year for Easter, I did brunch for the extended family and made scrambled eggs in the oven. I broke open about 3 1/2 dozen eggs, then got out the stick blender and blended in 2 sticks of melted butter, a pint of whipping cream, and a pint of melted bacon grease. Those turned out excellent.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,164 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Another favorite is whats known as a meat, egg, heavy whipping cream and cheese pie. All those items placed in a pie crust and baked.

So you're going around the barn in telling us you like quiche...what a pansy...just come out and say it man! Oh...and turn in your man card by the end of the week...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Technique? Either cast iron or a griddle top, bacon grease, butter... or both, and one of these...
    https://www.webstaurantstore.com/8-x-3-solid-turner-plastic-handle/69333860.html
    It doesn't have to be that specific one, but that 8x3 shape with the rounded edges and a flexible blade. I am lost without one. Burgers, sandwiches, pancakes, sunny side up, scrambled, over easy, omelets... that type of turner is the secret to my success.

Hey Bro, I shoulda known if anybody here could cook eggs it was gonna be you. I have one of those spatulas. And I also use a griddle top. Only difference I cook breakfast with coconut oil. What I like is over hard. But I don't like to kill it. I've got my timing down to where I break the egg and how to lay it on the griddle. I don't mind if it breaks the yoke, and then I know just when to flip it. I like it fried hard but just hard, not rock hard, kinda fluffy hard. Also, I love to eat this 5-7 days a week. I know the yellow of an egg is a pretty good heart plugger, so I bust the yoke and let half the yoke run out on the griddle. I cook it and give it to the cat.

As for bread, I love my Roti Canai, the Malaysian bread that appears to be a tortilla, but is actually more like an indian bread. It's made in several layers of thin dough and it puffs up. I cook a roti, you gotta cook these things, they're not like a tortilla which you just heat up. One of these with good fresh coffee is really a great breakfast for me.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    One of the most exciting ways to cook eggs is take them straight out of the carton and place them in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. No need to crack it, just put it straight in!

Yeah, I bet! Don't forget the flack jacket...

:rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao::roll2::rotflmao:

:buff::buff::buff:

(I knew this smiley had a good purpose for being here)
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,386 Senior Member
    Over easy, basted in Fraboni Garlic Sausage grease, poached on toast, or in some Quiche.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 6,004 Senior Member
    Hard boiled or scrambled usually. I have 3 hard boiled eggs and some oatmeal every morning for breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I don't like quiche, I LOVE quiche.
    And 99% of men who like eggs would also. But when you tell them it's quiche, they turn up their nose. Tell them it's meat egg and cheese pie, and they'll try it.

I forgot about quiche. I like it fine, with a little doctoring up. It's good when cold, also. I usually finish off any leftovers, later in the day. I like it straight out of the refrigerator, with cayenne pepper added to give it a little zing.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,767 Senior Member
    All kinds of ways. Just no soft boiled or poached. When I was a kid, loved them, scrambled with a can of pork brains. Like them in a pan of hash. Favorite way is either scrambled or a omelet, covered with sausage gravy.

Just a light breakfast, at Doug's Motor City Bar & Grill.

Country ham, 2 eggs (scrambled), Hash Browns (with onions), 2 biscuits, sausage gravy, butter and jelly.

qJr2O6q.jpg
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    olesniper wrote: »
    All kinds of ways. Like them in a pan of hash.

I forgot about that one, I like to take a skillet of corned beef hash and cook some of the water out and break about half a dozen eggs on top of it and put the lid on till the whites are cooked. I can just about eat the whole pan full.
    All this talk about eggs has me thinking that it's time to dig out Teach's pickled eggs recipe. I've probably made 20 jars of those in the last couple of years.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,094 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I forgot about quiche. I like it fine, with a little doctoring up. It's good when cold, also. I usually finish off any leftovers, later in the day. I like it straight out of the refrigerator, with cayenne pepper added to give it a little zing.

Its all from that book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Did anyone mention chorizo and eggs?

One of my favorites.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

One of my favorites.

I didn't consider that one. I do love chorizo and egg burritos. But, gotta be good chorizo. Not the "beef, chicken and pork" chorizo. 100% beef chorizo for me.

One of my favorites.

The new restaurant that is at the hotel that we stay at during the SE shoot has chorizo in a lot of their breakfast items. I had a chorizo and egg burrito that was pretty dang good and you can definitely get a chorizo fix at that place.
    Jay wrote: »
    I didn't consider that one. I do love chorizo and egg burritos. But, gotta be good chorizo. Not the "beef, chicken and pork" chorizo. 100% beef chorizo for me.

I like the cheap, greasy, pork chorizo with extra salivary glands and lymph nodes.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Chrizo is the same as hot dogs for me. Gotta be at least all beef.

For cheap but decent beef chorizo, Peyton's is pretty good.

Speaking of hot dogs, wienies and eggs with cheese...... darn good breakfast.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I like the cheap, greasy, pork chorizo with extra salivary glands and lymph nodes.

You really know how to make something sound good. :yikes:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Jay wrote: »
    Chrizo is the same as hot dogs for me. Gotta be at least all beef.

For cheap but decent beef chorizo, Peyton's is pretty good.

Speaking of hot dogs, wienies and eggs with cheese...... darn good breakfast.

Yep, add a bit of EL Pato tomato sauce to the scrambled eggs.

Adam J. McCleod

If you ever make it to a SE shoot, you'll be in heaven while eating at the restaurant at the hotel.