Home Main Category Clubhouse

Lost my rod.................

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
A 3 or 4 ft piece of rebar that is in my backyard that holds the hollow pipe my bird feeder pole sits atop. It was driven below the surface and I took the pole and feeder off for the tree cutters and left it down for the hurricane. Well with all the tree stuff, tractor and then the storm debris I couldn't find it.

So I remembered I had a older metal detector in the garage..........hmmm.........my noggin was in high gear......well dang the old 9 VDC batteries were still in it, didn't corrode but when I removed one a lead stayed in place in the connector on the pad and broke off from the battery. No amount of turning/twisting/pulling would free it.

So plan B, I snipped the Red/Blk wires going to the pad, pealed back some insulation and just Jerry Rigged a couple alligator clips to the 9V Btry and the leads. Dang thing still works, old analog one Search Master made in TX.

So I did a sweep in the general area I thought it might be located and bingo, a little digging and I had it exposed enough to to work. Maybe a foot higher than I would like , but I got it back up, anyhow.

I thought I had a couple extra 9V Btry pads with leads about, but couldn't find them. I probably won't have any use for it for another 10 years. I thought about just soldering the leads from the device straight to the Btry which I've done in a pinch before. I remembered to remove the two 9V batteries before storing this time too. :tooth:
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,161 Senior Member
    So now, you are an IMA level electrician, hey.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    So now, you are an IMA level electrician, hey.

Well, I couldn't find a Marine and a bayonet to jab the ground and find it fer me :tooth: :roll2: :roll2: :roll2:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,094 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Well, I couldn't find a Marine and a bayonet to jab the ground and find it fer me :tooth: :roll2: :roll2: :roll2:

BAM!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I thought I lost my rod once when it flew from the holder. Turns out I had bite. A tug of war kept it in hand, but failed to catch culprit.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.