Home Main Category General Firearms

New Winchester home

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,871 Senior Member
I may not be the first owner, but this gun is like new! Never shot, still had the hang tags and all the original paper work. Took a little longer to get it out of purgatory. But, here are the pics!

New Haven Model 70 Classic 300 Wby 26"

Going to get a scope on it later once I pick one.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/21fY55
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/63rq1Y
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Wow, that puppy looks mint!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Long rifle, in more ways then one.

I didn't realize how popular the 30cal magnums were until the DOW created this special bear season.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,762 Senior Member
    Not a Winchester fan, but it looks like a nice rifle.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Long rifle, in more ways then one.

I didn't realize how popular the 30cal magnums were until the DOW created this special bear season.

My other 300 Wby has a 24", I was pretty happy to find one with the full 26. After I'm done with the season, it'll be going on a new stock. Just have to pick which one.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I may not be the first owner, but this gun is like new! Never shot, still had the hang tags and all the original paper work. Took a little longer to get it out of purgatory. But, here are the pics!

New Haven Model 70 Classic 300 Wby 26"

Going to get a scope on it later once I pick one.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/21fY55
    https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/63rq1Y

Now that there's one beautiful rifle and I like the 26 inch barrel with the .300 WBY. It'll allow it to get all the horsepower out of 90 grains of powder.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,436 Senior Member
    Big bullets going fast:up:. What scope is it going to get?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »

Its between a Zeiss Terra X3 and Nikon Buckmaster. Both are 3-9×40. Tempted to pull the Leupold VX2 off my dad's Ruger and buy another scope for that. The VX would work nicely on the 300.

I have a Mod 70 30-06 featherweight on its way from another Cabela's as well. So, lots of rifles needing glass
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,189 Senior Member
    Very envious MHS, looks great
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
    Its between a Zeiss Terra X3 and Nikon Buckmaster. Both are 3-9×40. Tempted to pull the Leupold VX2 off my dad's Ruger and buy another scope for that. The VX would work nicely on the 300.

I have a Mod 70 30-06 featherweight on its way from another Cabela's as well. So, lots of rifles needing glass

Did you get rid of your other one or is this an additional Featherweight.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Did you get rid of your other one or is this an additional Featherweight.

Sold that years ago
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,963 Senior Member
    Good Hustle!

My favorite rifle design.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    That thing is a beast and it really shows its stuff 400 ... 500 ... 600 yards or more which is waaaaaay past my old eyes now without the Hubble mounted on it and solid rest. Also around here I might get a 200 maybe 250 yard bean field shoot but the last 10 years I can count on 1 hand how many deer I’ve taken at over 100 yards and then the smaller whitetail here in NC wouldn’t be exactly what I’d want to blast with that artillery.

“Results” photos are a must along with details!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    It'll be a good elk gun for warm weather/dry seasons. It'll be going in one of 3 stocks I bought that were leftover from the Winchester custom shop. Very nicely figured walnut. Not much that rifle can't do around the world! But, this I've will stay as a pretty piece, have plenty of others for getting dirty and banged up

My .300 WBY has the 26" Barrel and my load is a boat load of Reloader 25 under a 180 grain SGK lit off with a CCI Mag. Primer at 3200 FPS MV.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    My .300 WBY has the 26" Barrel and my load is a boat load of Reloader 25 under a 180 grain SGK lit off with a CCI Mag. Primer at 3200 FPS MV.

That is what Roy Weatherby had in mind:up:
    I wonder if Winchester's Weatherby chamber has the same long lead as Weatherby's Weatherby chamber?:uhm:
    I wonder if Winchester's Weatherby chamber has the same long lead as Weatherby's Weatherby chamber?:uhm:

Yes Winchester chambered their Weatherby rifles with the correct freebore. IIRC Remington didn't on some runs of special rifles and side they did.
    Some people bash Weatherby for long freebore. And i've even read writers misinterpret their reasoning as being to let some pressure blowdown before the bullet reaches the lands and seals in the barrel. But that would serve no purpose and cause premature barrel throat wear. Of course the real reason we know is to allow shallower bullet seating giving more powder capacity at lower pressures giving better velocities.

Ol' Roy weren't Stupid...
    Picked up a box of 168 gr TTSX, loading them up today. Might be able to get to the range this afternoon or tomorrow. Still digging through data online, looking to see some recipes with what I have on hand. Gonna go with the Zeiss scope on DNZ rings
    Picked up a box of 168 gr TTSX, loading them up today. Might be able to get to the range this afternoon or tomorrow. Still digging through data online, looking to see some recipes with what I have on hand. Gonna go with the Zeiss scope on DNZ rings

Be nice to send one a those through a pumkin.:tooth:
    Be nice to send one a those through a pumkin.:tooth:

I imagine a spectacular mess haha.

I've never used the 168 before, these things are LONG!!! i have used the 130 and 180 TSX/TTSX but these guys appear longer than expected for the weight. It was a toss up between the 165 vs 168, the 165 are shorter I believe, they're made specifically for the 300 WSM/SAUM/Win mag with their shorter necks. I figured I've got PLENTY of neck so, 168 it is.