Home Main Category Clubhouse

Macgyvers... need some ideas

BigDanSBigDanS Senior MemberPosts: 6,992 Senior Member
I need to replace about 20 linear feet of 8 ft shadowbox fence. I have removed the old fence and saved the pickets, and now I need to replaces the posts.

I have dug around one of the old posts that broke at the base ( all three broke at ground level in Hurricane Irma ). It's a typical two feet deep hole with the post secured with a bag of concrete I need to remove the old post stump and concrete in that hole and two others, then I can replace it with another post, drop a bag of concrete on it and set them.

I do not have access to a bobcat or tractor and it is in an area that my truck cannot get to either. It is mostly a hand tool job, but I am looking for suggestions. I have dug out the area around the post with a shovel, pick and a sledge hammer.

I have a lot of 8 foot 4x4's available to me. One thought I had was a tripod and a come a long. Drill a large lifting ring into the wood post stump, place a tripod over it and use a come along to lift it out. I would need plans to build one, though.

Not possible to drill holes in alternate locations because there is concrete under the fence in spots that was used to keep dogs from diggin under it.

Any help appreciated.

D
"A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Burn the stump out.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,133 Senior Member
    can you drill an eye bolt into the remains of the post that is set in the concrete? If so, then you can use a chainfall or come along to lift it out of the hole if you can put some sort of anchor point above the post.

If not, then get a long bar or heavy post, set one end on the ground, the middle chained to the eye bolt, and then lift the other end with a high lift or floor jack to 'lever' it out of the ground.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,163 Senior Member
    A High Lift Jack and a strap/chain should get the job done....I've pulled a bunch of broken off fence posts that way....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,266 Senior Member
    Burn the stump out.

Dont think concrete burns easily.
    I have the same issue, seems to be grunt and level it out for me
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    A High Lift Jack and a strap/chain should get the job done....I've pulled a bunch of broken off fence posts that way....
    Ditto. Any farm store, TSC or others will have them or a similar knock off.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    Jayhawker wrote: »

depending how big the concrete footing is, yes. If it goes too far out from the post, the high lift will just tip over. Then you would need to use the lever idea.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Dig arount the top of the concrete enough to loop a chain with a slip hook on it as a choker, then make a 1 foot square plywood "foot" for a couple of 2X4's 3 feet long with an 8-footer bolted between them. Make the pivot about 18" from the end of the 8 footer and use the short end as a lever to lift the concrete out of the ground with the chain. I've pulled lots of concrete-based fence posts that way.

"McGyver" was an anti-gun female reproductive orfice. It's an insult to refer to a redneck engineer by that term!
    :roll:
    Jerry
    bullsi1911 wrote:
    depending how big the concrete footing is, yes. If it goes too far out from the post, the high lift will just tip over. Then you would need to use the lever idea.
    Then you tilt the jack at a slight angle and wedge a 2x4 between the ground and top of the jack on the opposing side. Easy!
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    The fence between my neighbor and me blew down and it was more on his property. He cut them off right at ground level and dug new holes about a foot over and sunk new posts. The old posts are under the fence anyway. It's only a privacy fence and it begins where a chain link leaves off and ends about 15 feet from the street. the first couple of posts were still ok so he just spliced the new fence into what was left standing. Those posts are concreted into this this heavy black gumbo and that isn't coming out easy.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,378 Senior Member
    If this is the house you are moving out of, dig new holes one foot over and cover up the old parts, the old parts will be covered by the bottom of the fence anyway.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Then you tilt the jack at a slight angle and wedge a 2x4 between the ground and top of the jack on the opposing side. Easy!
    Something like this is what I mean....
    mqdefault.jpg
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,094 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    He cut them off right at ground level and dug new holes about a foot over and sunk new posts. The old posts are under the fence anyway.

That's precisely my plan as well.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Something like this is what I mean....
    mqdefault.jpg

Yeah, That will work if he can get a grab on the edge of the footing, or wrap a chain around the concrete below ground level.

Just thinking that if he drills a screw eye into the center of the 4x4 post, and there is 4-5" of concrete he can't set the foot of the high lift on, it may be pretty tough to pull that off.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Engine hoist...rent one from auto parts store.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,378 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Drill down into the wood still into the concrete. Pour in some black powder and insert cannon fuse. Light up and run. Shovel chunks out... :tooth:

This!, I forgot he was from Florida for a second, nobody will even bat an eye a this:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,732 Senior Member
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    So, I got the first one out.

Clearly they had another one next to it at some time and replaced it. I removed the post and concrete, another concrete set, and a third "bag" that had been set there to block the bottom of the fence from digging dogds. I wish I could get some other gear back there, but I have decided to work on them 1/2 an hour at a time as a little "workout". One down two to go. Or I may go hire two Guatemalans at HD to pick and dig. I got the first one out with less than two hours work. I theory, I could hire two guys for three hours, remove the other two, put them in my truck for disposal, set three poles and concrete for $100.00, Might not be a bad deal. Maybe next week after I am totally frustrated removing the other two.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I may have considered buying a big auger bit and center drilling the broken post and a new post and just splicing the two posts with a section of 1" or 1-1/4" galvanized pipe as a dowel. If you used a 24" section of pipe, it would be plenty strong.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Having no idea of what kind of 'implements of excavation' you have makes it hard. If you have a manual post hole digger, just dig down the side of the concrete and use Jerry's lever idea to snatch the thing out. Then use a piece of cardboard to ring the hole where the old post was set. Set new post in hole pour in concrete, and then fill in and tamp the dirt back in when the concrete sets.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Dont think concrete burns easily.
    I have the same issue, seems to be grunt and level it out for me

Use more diesel.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Use more diesel.

Add a little Ammonium Nitrate to the Diesel!
    :devil:
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Add a little Ammonium Nitrate to the Diesel!
    :devil:
    Jerry

Not a bad idea! Just light the mixture on fire and the water soaked concrete will spall like crazy from the steam explosions. And if it gets hot enough, the ANFO might just launch that mess into low earth orbit.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    I'd start the party with a kicker charge of Tannerite on top of the ANFO!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    I'd start the party with a kicker charge of Tannerite on top of the ANFO!
    Jerry

That should do it.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

Nothing can go wrong there.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    That wasn't in there that deep at all. He had it wobbling. He could have lifted it out.
    -Thomas Paine
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    If this is the house you are moving out of, dig new holes one foot over and cover up the old parts, the old parts will be covered by the bottom of the fence anyway.

Yeah, read my post above. I don't see any importance in removing the bottom of the post. Nobody's going to see it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.