Home Main Category Clubhouse

Anyone ever have surgery for this condition?

Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior MemberPosts: 7,916 Senior Member
I have Achilles Tendonitis. It is a condition that is caused by a bone spur in the back of my right heel and it causes pain and swelling in the Achilles tendon. It started about 2 years ago and has become progressively worse over that time. For a while it only bothered me when I was doing a lot of walking, like at a biker event, or after walking around my neighborhood for exercise, then it would go away. I've been getting conservative treatment from a Podiatrist that includes skin creams with pain killer in it, Trammadol, a special foot brace and some exercises. The condition has improved a little if I don't stress the area by not walking much, but if I do a lot of walking it goes back to being very painful and I start limping around again.

My question is has anyone here ever had the same condition, and did you have surgery for it, and did you get a significant improvement from the surgery? I'm considering having the surgery, but would like to know if anyone has had success with it.
JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

Replies

• sherwoodsherwood Senior Member Posts: 1,222 Senior Member
    I have Achilles Tendonitis. It is a condition that is caused by a bone spur in the back of my right heel and it causes pain and swelling in the Achilles tendon. It started about 2 years ago and has become progressively worse over that time. For a while it only bothered me when I was doing a lot of walking, like at a biker event, or after walking around my neighborhood for exercise, then it would go away. I've been getting conservative treatment from a Podiatrist that includes skin creams with pain killer in it, Trammadol, a special foot brace and some exercises. The condition has improved a little if I don't stress the area by not walking much, but if I do a lot of walking it goes back to being very painful and I start limping around again.

My question is has anyone here ever had the same condition, and did you have surgery for it, and did you get a significant improvement from the surgery? I'm considering having the surgery, but would like to know if anyone has had success with it.

This what I did and it has worked for me. Sit on the floor with your leg straight out in front of you. Get a 1" strap or long belt. Tie a loop in one end of it. Put the loop around your toes and pull it tight. Wait a few seconds and pull it tight some more. Do this 3/4 times. You can feel the tendon stretching as you do this. You might have to do it 2 days in a row. Good luck.
    I may be old but I ain't dead!
    DPRMD
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,366 Senior Member
    Foot surgery is a crap shoot, that is a lot of tissue to go through to get to the spur, cure might leave you worse than the disease. Stretching as described, acupuncture, manipulation, shoe inserts first.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Ah heck, just walk on some hot coals barefooted.............you won't notice the AT fer a spell...........:jester:

Seriously, I hope you find a way short of going under the knife to alleviate the pain it is causing you.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,916 Senior Member
    sherwood wrote: »
    This what I did and it has worked for me. Sit on the floor with your leg straight out in front of you. Get a 1" strap or long belt. Tie a loop in one end of it. Put the loop around your toes and pull it tight. Wait a few seconds and pull it tight some more. Do this 3/4 times. You can feel the tendon stretching as you do this. You might have to do it 2 days in a row. Good luck.

That is one of the exercises that my Podiatrist gave me to do. The conservative treatment has had only mediocre results, but I am willing to wait a while longer before trying the surgery.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!