TSA employee steals $50,000 of electronics at Florida airport

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 25,957 Senior Member
TSA employee steals computers, iPads, GPS, and other electronics from luggage, posts the stuff on EBay, and sometimes has it sold before end of shift. Guess that's one way to increase your take home pay.

http://www.news4jax.com/nationalnews/28478953/detail.html

CNN) -- A former Transportation Security Administration employee was charged with two counts of grand theft for allegedly stealing electronics from luggage, authorities in Florida said Thursday.

A Continental Airlines employee Monday caught Nelson Santiago-Serrano, 30, stealing an iPad from a suitcase in Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport, according to the Broward County Sheriff's Office.

Santiago-Serrano was released on a $4,000 bond Tuesday, the office said.

Over the past six months, Santiago-Serrano told authorities he stole $50,000 worth of computers, GPS devices and other electronics from luggage he screened, took pictures of them to post for sale online and sold the items often by the time his shift ended.

Santiago-Serrano worked for the TSA since January 2009, but no longer works with the agency. Detectives are trying to locate victims, but it is unlikely they will get their belongings back, said the sheriff's office.

Santiago-Serrano has no lawyer yet nor a scheduled court date appearance, according to the Broward County clerk of courts.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,624 Senior Member
    Nothing new. There's one of him in every airport.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,655 Senior Member
    I'm sure this is standard practice ever since they said you cant lock your luggage. My electronics go with me and my carry on bag. I also stopped flying with guns just not worth the risk or hassel.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Nothing new. There's AT LEAST one of him in every airport.

FIFY
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    I'm guessing this was checked baggage? Wouldn't people miss their items if it was through the passeger screening area?
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,104 Senior Member
    TSA = Take Stuff Already!!!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    TSA = Take Stuff Already!!!

TSA= They Steal Anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 33yrs in an Aviation caarer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can attest to that!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,104 Senior Member
    TSA= They Steal Anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 33yrs in an Aviation caarer!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can attest to that!
    Good one!!!
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!

I didn't realize that TSA has been around that long.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    This is exactly what happens when your security screeners are the job equivalent of someone dropping fries at McDonald's. No real good background checks, no job motivation and absolutely no sense of duty or respect for the law. Every time I am in an airport--which is not often--I make it my goal to express to any TSA employee who asks me a dumb question why I have little respect for them as a company. Thus far, it has not resulted in any delays.

But being an 85 year old woman with a back brace on is apparently grounds for a pat down.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,996 Senior Member
    TSA: Learning to steal while copping a feel!

I always thought it stood for "Thousands Standing Around"
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    TSA: Learning to steal while copping a feel!

I always thought it stood for "Thousands Standing Around"

Now thats the more accurate acronym!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Buford wrote: »

:rotflmao::spittingcoffee: They haven't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TSA started when the HLS and or the Patriot Act formed/Passed IIRC..... But never the less I have seen my share of theives in the Aviation Industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    This is exactly what happens when your security screeners are the job equivalent of someone dropping fries at McDonald's. No real good background checks, no job motivation and absolutely no sense of duty or respect for the law. Every time I am in an airport--which is not often--I make it my goal to express to any TSA employee who asks me a dumb question why I have little respect for them as a company. Thus far, it has not resulted in any delays.

But being an 85 year old woman with a back brace on is apparently grounds for a pat down.

:that::agree:
    quote_icon.png Originally Posted by robert38-55 viewpost-right.png

:rotflmao::spittingcoffee: They haven't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TSA started when the HLS and or the Patriot Act formed/Passed IIRC..... But never the less I have seen my share of theives in the Aviation Industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know.