Home Main Category General Firearms

Gun Writers -LoL! Remington R51

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 1,479 Senior Member
Today, my American Rifleman arrived from my friends at the NRA. On the cover, a nice picture touting the new Remington R51.

Although the writer (Wiley Clapp) tried to make the case that the R51 was a good gun. I had to laugh when he noted that his sample gun wouldn’t work until Remington replaced BOTH of the original mags that arrived with.

Btw - if you are going to ship a gun writer a sample gun, don’t you make sure it works?

Link: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/9/22/second-chance-remington-s-revised-r51-pistol/

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    It is a very nice soft shooting gun. But I only shoot one mag from a demo gun. Turns out it was +p ammo but was still very light recoil. A shame it still has issues.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Today, my American Rifleman arrived from my friends at the NRA. On the cover, a nice picture touting the new Remington R51.

Although the writer (Wiley Clapp) tried to make the case that the R51 was a good gun. I had to laugh when he noted that his sample gun wouldn’t work until Remington replaced BOTH of the original mags that arrived with.

Btw - if you are going to ship a gun writer a sample gun, don’t you make sure it works?

Link: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/9/22/second-chance-remington-s-revised-r51-pistol/

It doesn't matter if they shipped him a Red Rider BB gun for a Cape Buffalo hunt. These shills will tout anything as he best because that's what they are paid to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    If it was anything other than the R51, nobody would notice a pair of bad mags - but since it is... Comments say its still mag sensitive (in general), if true, that really sucks. I think the R51 is the gun that everybody wanted to like, I like the looks of it - very svelte - but I'm attracted to oddball things in general.

I'd still like to shoot one sometime.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I like the looks of the R51 too, kinda cool. Maybe they can get all the bugs worked out and it will be a hit...................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    That's what they said about the Corvair- - - - - - - -
    :roll:
    Jerry
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    That's what they said about the Corvair- - - - - - - -
    :roll:
    Jerry
    Good one.....they said the Edsel just needed more time to catch on too.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,760 Senior Member
    Read the article last night. It is stuff like this that truly makes my brain throb:

You have highly educated engineers with the resources of a multimillion dollar factory at their disposal.

Supposedly, there's a lot of testing before you go to market.

You have trained folks gauging, inspecting, and assembling.

There's proof testing and test firing.

In theory, there's a checklist or two in there somewhere.

In this case, there's a bit of "Hmmmm. . .our company has a lot riding on this particular pistol. Maybe, just MAAAAAAAAYBE we should have it inspected a couple steps higher up the chain"

AND WE STILL END UP WITH FIREARMS GOING OUT THE DOOR WITH DEFECTS THAT WOULD BE DETECTED IN FIVE MINUTES BY ANY DECENT ARMORER WITH A TWO DAY FIELD CLASS UNDER HIS BELT CONDUCTING A BASIC SET OF FACTORY FUNCTION CHECKS WITH A TEST FIRE. . . FOR THE SIMPLE REASON THAT HE CARES!!!

In Mark O'Keefe's sub-article assessing the Pedersen design elements of the pistol, he describes the mechanism as both delayed AND ****. I could not decide if the understood that the two words mean exactly the same thing, or if he was somehow making a jab. . .

To the firearms industry at large: Hey guys, you're basically in the business of making parachutes, airbags, seat belts, tourniquets, and and defibrillators. . .you know, LIFE SAVING EQUIPMENT. Spend the few extra minutes it takes to treat it as such before you bet someone else's life on it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,479 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Read the article last night. It is stuff like this that truly makes my brain throb:

You have highly educated engineers with the resources of a multimillion dollar factory at their disposal.

Supposedly, there's a lot of testing before you go to market.

You have trained folks gauging, inspecting, and assembling.

There's proof testing and test firing.

In theory, there's a checklist or two in there somewhere.

In this case, there's a bit of "Hmmmm. . .our company has a lot riding on this particular pistol. Maybe, just MAAAAAAAAYBE we should have it inspected a couple steps higher up the chain"

AND WE STILL END UP WITH FIREARMS GOING OUT THE DOOR WITH DEFECTS THAT WOULD BE DETECTED IN FIVE MINUTES BY ANY DECENT ARMORER WITH A TWO DAY FIELD CLASS UNDER HIS BELT CONDUCTING A BASIC SET OF FACTORY FUNCTION CHECKS WITH A TEST FIRE. . . FOR THE SIMPLE REASON THAT HE CARES!!!

In Mark O'Keefe's sub-article assessing the Pedersen design elements of the pistol, he describes the mechanism as both delayed AND ****. I could not decide if the understood that the two words mean exactly the same thing, or if he was somehow making a jab. . .

To the firearms industry at large: Hey guys, you're basically in the business of making parachutes, airbags, seat belts, tourniquets, and and defibrillators. . .you know, LIFE SAVING EQUIPMENT. Spend the few extra minutes it takes to treat it as such before you bet someone else's life on it.

If I owned Remington, everyone involved would be fired for thier QA difficulties. They are turning the company into a a modern day version of 1970’s AMC cars.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I'm pretty much of the mind that Remington took a very good design, put it in production without proper testing of ASSEMBLY LINE GUNS, NOT HAND FITTED pieces, didn't QA/QC the product off the assembly line, and hoped it would work. They now have a turd that has been foisted off on the public, TWICE, and are still trying to pick up that turd by the clean end.

Magazine malfunctions due to poorly manufactured magazines is no excuse. Failures to feed and fire after taking it off the market, supposedly reworking the manufacturing flaws, and reintroducing it are no excuse. Not refining the production and assembly process during the down time is no excuse. They have effectively killed what could have been a really nice reintroduction of a solid design. The old axiom, "Once bitten, twice shy" applies to firearms as well.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    hi everyone !

I am back from the dead.......

lol

:jester:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 25,780 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    hi everyone !

lol

This is a good thing.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    This is a good thing.

Beats the alternative!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    hi everyone !

lol

Vampire or Zombi?

Welcome back
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5