Goodell and NFL owners have some gall.....

To actually say that Trump is divisive and showing a lack of respect towards the players of the NFL. Terms, never officially applied to NFL players, by ownership or the league, who have been divisively disrespecting the flag and the national anthem for a year now.
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/09/23/several-nfl-owners-condemn-president-trumps-remarks-players-protest-anthem/

I mean, come on, really?

I wrote my team (Tampa Bay) last year after Mike Evans knelt for the anthem to protest Trumps election win. He chose veterans day weekend when the team was officially honoring vets (MacDill AFB home of CentCom is 15 minutes from stadium). Then it came out that Evans didn't even vote. By Tuesday he apologized and has been standing from then on.

I do not want a gun placed to ones head to make them stand and respect the flag or the anthem. Kind of antithetical to our founding principals. It, however, seems apparent that the NFL does not want MY viewership when they seem grossly ignorant like this.

What say you?
Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,640 Senior Member
    What say you?

Let the market work this out. When the fan base stops buying tickets and merchandise, the owners will add clauses to players' contracts.

Until then, the government (and Trump) need to butt out.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    For me President Trump's disingenuous rhetoric, and the NFL both equally hold the same level of irrelevant circus as a children's cartoon.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,348 Senior Member
    Who cares what a bunch of overpaid steroid abusers who are doing their best to destroy their brains with repeated head trauma for a big payday think, anyway? Professional ballplayers are about as useless as some of their counterparts in the rest of the entertainment industry- - - - -trained seals who can balance balls on their noses to distract us from reality for a while. If they're not murdering each other or getting busted for alcohol or drug misbehavior, they're beating up on their ditzy parasite women who hang onto them like a remora to a shark. None of their opinions are worth serious consideration.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,750 Senior Member
    The NFL lost any relevance to me a number of years ago.

Even an acquaintance who spent 4 years in the league in the late 80s thinks the current players are a bunch of overpaid whiners.

I saw something that said the networks that have contracts with the NFL stand to lose a combined $2BILLION due to decreased ad revenues caused by the lack of viewers. I've also seen quite a bit of footage showing half filled stadiums... GOOD :applause:

I suspect they're going to learn how little the public cares about their political stances. They're nothing more than an organ grinder's monkey to me and should dance when paid to do so for our entertainment.

Sure, they have the right to their opinion, but they don't have the right to try and force it on the folks who ultimately pay their salaries
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Let the market work this out. When the fan base stops buying tickets and merchandise, the owners will add clauses to players' contracts.

Until then, the government (and Trump) need to butt out.

With Trump butting in I found a new level of hoots-bah I never knew the NFL was capable of, which was quite revealing. To me at least.

Since I, and many others here are the market, just was curious of the opinions of how such hypocrisy may effect their view of the NFL.

Trump is what Trump is, but for the NFL to respond this way with the words they have chosen, none of which has ever been used to describe a kneeling player (accept maybe Tebow) is genuinely staggering to me.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Almost any professional league has many players with double digit IQs and can’t think past the media BS but it is their right to think what they’ve been fed. It is the right of the coaches and owners to allow or not allow actions while in team uniform. It is the right of the leagues to allow or not those actions. While I think these overpaid idiots are a-holes it is their right to do so here. Personally, I think Trump while right is giving even more power to these idiots by stirring the crappé. I believe he should just take the high road and say something like “Well if Mr Curry doesn’t want to visit the WH maybe I’ll can congratulate him another time.” Or “It saddens me to see people not standing for the flag and our National Anthem but that is one of the Freedoms that makes this country great ... Personal Freedoms.” I know it is BS but insighting these idiots and giving them more ammo to spew in the media just doesn’t work on double digit IQs ... especially those who get their ideas from liberal media.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    :agree::that:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,960 Senior Member
    As a veteran I believe they have the right to protest in the manner they are protesting. Free speech is free speech.

As a veteran I would not wipe the residual feces off my butt with the suede tanned hides of the filthy unpatriotic, ungrateful, narcissistic anus chapeaus that disrespect the flag and anthem by kneeling or just sitting on the bench when the anthem is played. And I won't be watching the over payed freaks play until they have a true change of heart and stand. Exception is if the linemen arm up with shields and Roman gladius short swords and have at it at the snap of the ball. Football, for all the hype, is just stylized gladiatorial combat.

There is nothing contradictory in the above two statements.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

tennmike wrote: »
    As a veteran I believe they have the right to protest in the manner they are protesting. Free speech is free speech.

As a veteran I would not wipe the residual feces off my butt with the suede tanned hides of the filthy unpatriotic, ungrateful, narcissistic anus chapeaus that disrespect the flag and anthem by kneeling or just sitting on the bench when the anthem is played. And I won't be watching the over payed freaks play until they have a true change of heart and stand. Exception is if the linemen arm up with shields and Roman gladius short swords and have at it at the snap of the ball. Football, for all the hype, is just stylized gladiatorial combat.

There is nothing contradictory in the above two statements.

Now I see where the question is asked of new members about gladiator movies comes from. :tooth:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,343 Senior Member
    I promise I won't make any political gestures when I dance!

Yea, and I stand with hand on heart whenever our anthem is played. Trump is "divisive"? Oh, please. With that said, he should **** about non-governmental issues instead of EMULATING HIS PREDECESSOR.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/09/24/ravens-jaguars-players-kneel-during-national-anthem-after-trumps-attacks-on-nfl.html

That'll show Trump!

Makes me think this was a set up. Trump always had a score to settle with the NFL going back to his USFL days. The rumor was he'd be offered a franchise if he allowed the USFL to flounder. Then zippo! No NFL franchise. So he goads Goodell and some owners into a verbal bout renewing the anthem protests with gusto alienating more of the NFL's customer base, and the hits keep on coming!
    "Revenge is a dish best served ice cold". If that's so, good for him! If not, it still makes for a good rumor!
    Jerry
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    I remember a time when professional football players had to get second jobs in the off season.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    The entire Steelers team stayed in the locker room for the anthem. Only Alejandro Villanueva, a former Army Ranger with three Afghanistan tours under his belt came out and stood for the anthem.
    Anybody else remember when pro baseball players were sometimes salesmen for tobacco companies in the off season? (1950's and before)
    Jerry
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,112 Senior Member
    I don't think fans and the owners should be putting up with their crap. These multi-million $$$$ crybabies are wasting everyone's time with their stupid "protests."Let them go to an ANTIFA or BLM protest and do their sheissen there.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,640 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    With that said, he should **** about non-governmental issues instead of EMULATING HIS PREDECESSOR.

This. So much this.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,942 Senior Member
    I read somewhere that the market is starting to work the problem out.

I am afraid, though, this issue of disrespecting the flag and National Anthem is working toward being another racial issue to deal with.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,343 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I am afraid, though, this issue of disrespecting the flag and National Anthem is working toward being another fake racial issue to deal with.

FIFY - but I agree.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    FIFY - but I agree.

Trouble it is not fake as long as one or both sides think it is a real issue
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,126 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    THIS
    Yep.

Football is a business-- plain and simple. We don't need politicians butting in where the market will take care of the matter itself. Any smart (and most not so smart) businessmen, along with most laymen with half a brain should recognize that.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,656 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »

I am afraid, though, this issue of disrespecting the flag and National Anthem is working toward being another racial issue to deal with.

Not to much that can't be fixed with a 1911 or a 30/06.
    The media is hell bent on war.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,834 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Who cares what a bunch of overpaid steroid abusers who are doing their best to destroy their brains with repeated head trauma for a big payday think, anyway? Professional ballplayers are about as useless as some of their counterparts in the rest of the entertainment industry- - - - -trained seals who can balance balls on their noses to distract us from reality for a while. If they're not murdering each other or getting busted for alcohol or drug misbehavior, they're beating up on their ditzy parasite women who hang onto them like a remora to a shark. None of their opinions are worth serious consideration.
    Jerry

Whether you like to watch football or not, their opinions are the same to me as those of an actor. Worthless. Somebody needs to tell all these dumbasses to just play their game, act their parts, do whatever they get way over paid to do and shut the F up! Especially actors. They live in an unreal world. They play all the time. They don't know fantasy land from real life. At least football players, or some of them don't do one thing all their life. At some point most have to re-enter the real world.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Richard Childress (NASCAR team owner) just announced that any of his drivers or crew members who want to protest can go ahead and do so at their own risk- - - -"His next ride will be on a Greyhound bus!" Richard Petty expressed about the same sentiments. Good for them!
    Jerry
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,676 Senior Member

I do not want a gun placed to ones head to make them stand and respect the flag or the anthem. Kind of antithetical to our founding principals. It, however, seems apparent that the NFL does not want MY viewership when they seem grossly ignorant like this.

What say you?

So you just want the owners and the NFL to put a gun to players heads and make them conform to what you want them to do?
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,126 Senior Member
    So you just want the owners and the NFL to put a gun to players heads and make them conform to what you want them to do?
    I don't think he is saying that. Quite the opposite, actually. But as a consumer of that form of entertainment, he reserves his right to not view it.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,960 Senior Member

Metaphorically speaking, yes. Either stand and place your right hand over your heart during the anthem, or pack up your 'stuff' and GIT! You're fired! Football is a business; nothing more nor less. ANY employee whose actions while on the job cause the business to be financially hurt should be pink slipped and shown the door. Simple choice; do your damned job while on the job, don't disrespect the 'company' or the 'customers', or find somewhere else to work that will put up with that stupidity. It isn't like there is a huge pool of potential employees that wouldn't jump at the chance to take the place of those recently unemployed fools.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    What gets me about all this "protesting", is that their chosen method of protest is divisive and polarizing. Some applaud what they are doing, some lose what little respect they had for professional athletes in the first place. Seems to me the racial divide in this country is as deep as it's been in my adult life. Obama drove that wedge deeper than it's been in a long time. If we truly want change, we won't get it with actions that divide us further.

Same goes for President Trump by the way. I have not seen people so passionately divided over the outcome of an election. He can't close the gap by making statements that make some pump their fist in approval, and others raise their fist in anger.

He does not have to agree with what they are doing. He should recognize that a small group of citizens that have a very large public stage are exercising their right to peaceful protest in a manner that is hurtful to the nation he is supposed to be leading. Instead, he could be working on his re-election by trying to win over some of the "not my president" faction. Not by kissing their spoiled overpaid fannies, but by inviting them into a dialog.

I despise the racial divide in this country. I would love to see healing and change. IMHO, neither the protesting NFL players, coaches and owners or President Trump are acting in a manner that can bring about any change in a positive direction.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    The worst thing that can be done is give them more of a stage. Trump’s little Tweets and such just give their “cause” more momentum. The less attention paid the less motivation they would have. After Trump’s doozy while teams stayed in the locker room, teammates stood with those kneeling (if only to support that teammate), owners came out on the sideline to stand with these “kneelers” ... like a child having a temper tantrum if you ignore their little act they quit but the more you react the more they gain.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Well, at least they haven't started to frag their coaches and owners.