After Hitler Pt I and II worth watching

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,985 Senior Member
On National Geographic Ch.

The millions of displaced civilians, soldiers and orphans.........amazing the masses of humanity trying to get home and how the Commies started taking Eastern Europe over. The cruelty continued in many countries as old ethnic/political scores were settled. Lot of revenge was exacted, some deserved and some not.

Will give you some good insight on post WWII Europe.
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,065 Senior Member
    Revenge is indiscriminate. The Nazis committed horrible atrocities on the population of Eastern Europe, and some on Western Europe. While many suffered due to payback, a helluva lot suffered under Nazi occupation.

Given the history and psychology of the area, (an eye for an eye) while I don't condone atrocities related to revenge, especially on civilians, I put them in context as many atrocities were committed by the Nazis on civilians, some of which were with the tacit approval of the citizens of the occupied areas. Two wrongs don't make a right, but given the atrocities committed by the Nazis, I almost understand the revenge on Nazi supporters.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,327 Senior Member
    Wife's family had to endure the immediate post-war climate in France; his maternal grandfather was freed from a work camp in Germany (Rounded up during an anti-Maqui raid) and literally had to walk his way back to Southern France.

Everything was in shambles and according to my MIL help was mainly focused in the Northern region; they could barely make a living and he had to work helping to rebuild Dunkirk to earn a little money to feed his family; they were Spanish Civil War refugees so they couldn't return back there due to Franco's purges and eventually had to migrate to America to make a decent living since Europa would apparently take too long to recover.
    At first they thought about Canada, but they wouldn't allow whole families settling, but only the heads and then after properly established they could bring in their relatives in around 2 years; because of this, coincidentally both families without knowing each other migrated to S.A., landing first in Brazil, then moving to Argentina to finally settle down in the Chilean port of Viña del Mar...talk about displacement: 5 countries in 10 years during an era when air travel was a luxury for the rich!

Wars do take a toll in families (FIL lost an older brother, just a small kid, during a Luftwaffe bombardment in a refugee camp) but human spirit allow them to hold on and keep going no matter what. If you like reading about such historical events, check what apparently was the biggest forced human migration to date: The foundation of Pakistan and India's independence.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,985 Senior Member
    Great Britain wouldn't allow displaced Jews to get off the ships and put them on prison ships back to Europe when they landed in Palestine, later they were allowed when the state of Israel was formed. Many wound up back in concentration camps , of course, not death camps anymore, still. Human Exodus of displaced folks was mind boggling.

Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and may other Eastern European countries rounded up ethnic Germans and threw them out, many there for generations, some were shot as they walked away in columns toward Germany. One British officer said Germany was the trash bin of Europe's unwanted by the millions where they were dumped.

Of course the Commies and Stalin were spreading their propaganda and many fell for it remembering how bad fascism was and were duped into believing it to be their salvation. Civil wars like in Greece and uprisings in France, you name it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Hard to explain the magnitude of post WWII Europe's disruption and chaos, just watch the shows is mo better than I can put into words of the immense human suffering and the monumental task of sorting it all out.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,803 Senior Member
    And then there was Roosevelt who locked up American Citizens in camps because they were of Japanese ancetry. That sucks. Slant Eyed Shooter can tell you more about it than me. Slant is a very patriotic American. He tells me his family considered Japan their enemy. His family escaped the imprisonment because they lived in Hawaii. But if you lived on the mainland your butt would go to a camp. Some of these people lost everything they had and had to start over. That right there is a big ol' black spot on America. But unlike other ethnic groups they picked themselves up and kept at the American dream. Now they're some of our best citizens.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Snake what the Jews, Gypsies, Russians, Poles, Hungarians, Czechs, French, Greeks any considered undesirable to a "Master Races" plan and not willing to be good Commies (by Stalin) and countless others went through is far worse than some Japs being relocated. They weren't gassed, shot, butchered, exterminated, worked/starved to death or even treated near as bad as awful as some find the treatment of Japanese Americans in WWII. They were sent to internment camps because we really didn't know what to expect from them as a precaution.

Sure it sucked for them, but I understand why they did it. You ever see how fanatically devoted they in Japan were to their Emperor, he was a living god to them and they were afraid they would try and carry out his will over here.

120,000 were interned. Sad part of our history as we look back, but things were different then.

http://www.history.com/topics/world-war-ii/japanese-american-relocation