What to do? What to do?

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    john9001 wrote: »
    Ok, bring up the crusades.

The Crusades were a great example of two of the three primary monotheistic religions not getting along. The Christians were probably mostly justified in repelling Islamic aggression - but at the same time, they smashed a lot of statues! Whatever. Look up "Christianization of Europe" for a TON of bloodshed and conversion at the point of a sword - particularly in Scandinavia where they resisted the Christian(ist) onslaught the longest. The Spanish mission system in California was very abusive also, and shouldn't have happened. But you don't see me wanting to tear down the 300 year old missions - they're beautiful and they should stand so their history, both good and bad, won't be forgotten.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,565 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    My comment was directed towards Fisheadgib - who is a "stand up guy" even if we don't necessarily agree on everything.
    I know that. It was just a supportive statement.
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    I know that. It was just a supportive statement.

I figured as much - but you and I both know how on-line communications can be derailed/misunderstood, etc, etc.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,657 Senior Member
    Mike, I suspect moore will win in a landslide with or without my support.

I believe in the philosophy of "If you didn't vote, you have no right to complain about who won" though. so I WANT to vote. Just not for roy moore
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,540 Senior Member
    My comment was directed towards Fisheadgib - who is a "stand up guy" even if we don't necessarily agree on everything.

I didn't miss your point but you may have missed mine. I'm well aware of your disdain for any form of organized religion and you have that right but my point is that people usually vote for a candidate that represents (or claims to) their beliefs and ideology and if the public wanted "Christianists" out of politics, they would vote them out.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,802 Senior Member
    You and I, Sir, are in 100% agreement here.

I know you are. I don't ever want a Christian by any name to try to manage your life on personal ideas. I would fight for those rights because I don't want anyone doing that to me. I do have a strong Christian background but I have the common sense to know I can't change everybody and I would only make enemies if I tried. Plus I don't think anybody should have the right to step into our private lives.

The Christian sect I am now a member of catches a lot of hell for being too open and permissive. However, we do have our opinions, we just try like hell not to try to over control others. It's Not My Yob!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    ...and if the public wanted "Christianists" out of politics, they would vote them out.
    You are right as far as it goes, but I think a lot of people don't really understand the underlying issue. "Oh, he's a Christian so he must be good." But I *do* think that the GOP is losing a TON of support from their continued coddling of these types. Thank you Ronald, it seemed to be a good idea at the time...

I wouldn't vote for a Pagan just because s/he was one. Or women who vote for women just because they are one. Same thing.

I know you are. I don't ever want a Christian by any name to try to manage your life on personal ideas. I would fight for those rights because I don't want anyone doing that to me. I do have a strong Christian background but I have the common sense to know I can't change everybody and I would only make enemies if I tried. Plus I don't think anybody should have the right to step into our private lives.

The Christian sect I am now a member of catches a lot of hell for being too open and permissive. However, we do have our opinions, we just try like hell not to try to over control others. It's Not My Yob!

And I wish more Christians were like you (and the many others here) - this is one of the MAIN reasons I hang out on this forum, its one of the few places I've found where one can have a reasonable discussion on topics like this! I was *SO* glad that the politics forum was reinstated for that very reason, where else can I have a meaningful conversation with people who don't necessarily agree with everything I say? And vice versa, blah, blah, blah, :blah:, and all that good feeling stuff! :hug:

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,575 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

I believe in the philosophy of "If you didn't vote, you have no right to complain about who won" though. so I WANT to vote. Just not for roy moore
    I suspect you're right. I also assume that there are no third party or independent candidates running? I would say writing in strange or even yourself would be how I would play it. Vote. Show that you care, but also send the message that you don't approve of the choices you are being given.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member

I wish there was a way to get some true Constitutional Conservative Jeffersonian Libertarians with the guts of Andrew 'By God!' Jackson to take on Washington and really have a House AND Senate cleaning out, and then clean out the outlier bureaus and orgs in D.C. I don't think they make those anymore, though. Maybe the next revolution will clear that mess up a bit. Liberty Tree is looking of sickly of late! :tooth:

Vote your conscience, and I'll back which ever choice you make. It's your vote to cast as you see fit. In voting, you are the majority of one whose opinion, and conscience, is the only one that matters. Figure out what is right for you, then go ahead.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Here's moore pulling a gun at one of his rallies

[video=youtube_share;J4o14NnEfZU]
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,624 Senior Member

A "No Moore" Republican is the same as a "Never Trump" Republican. Both neck deep in the establishment swamp. Both RINOs.

The worst Republican is a better choice than the best Democrat. Federal elections aren't about you, candidates, or issues, as much as they are about PARTIES. PARTIES win or lose elections, not individuals. The wining PARTY controls the Congressional leadership, the agenda, what bills are brought to a vote and what bills are quietly canned. The winning PARTY confirms or rejects judges, cabinet secretaries, and treaties - you get the idea.

If there is to be any advance of the pro-gun agenda, and any of a dozen other issues important to conservatives, the GOP must retain control of BOTH houses of Congress. It's a numbers game. If the GOP controls 0ver 50 Senate seats, we win, otherwise, your dislike of Moore translates directly into love for Schumer. I don't care if you disagree with that; Schumer, Trump, Pelosi, Ryan, Gorsuch, and everybody who is anybody in Washington knows it's true.

Get over yourself. This election is more important than your personal fear and loathing. It's about power. it's about control. It's about keeping a majority for the preferred PARTY. I suffered with voting for John McCain. I am grateful for his heroic service in the U.S. Navy, and for his steadfastness in obstructing the Obama agenda whenever he could. Nevertheless, for his current political duplicity, his willingness to cave with Democrats, for his support of Obamacare, I hate him. I voted against him in the primary. He won anyway. But when the election came around, I voted for John McCain. And given the choice of McCain or any Democrat, I would vote for McCain ... over and over again. Because to not, is to vote directly for a Schumer controlled Senate.

Those who like Moore will vote for him for that reason. Those who dislike Moore, like you Knitepoet, must vote for him for other reasons, chief among them, he is the lesser of 2 evils, any Democrat being, by definition, the worst case scenario for your state and your country.

So, I beg you, vote for Moore. To not do so, is to cutoff your nose to spite your face. And that only fools you. Moore's candidacy is not a big enough hill to die on, and if Moore is defeated, and in 2018 the Democrats end up with control, you'll be wishing you had voted in answer to a higher calling than yourself.
    "PARTIES" are a large part of the problem.

Our founders warned us about them.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to this problem - its bigger than I am!

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,650 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Moore is, and has been, a staunch supporter of state's rights over federal interference at the state level. As such, he's brought a lot of heat on the state for his firm stand on those state's rights issues. Personally, I stand up and applaud him for sticking his finger in the Fed's eye, and fighting off Federal encroachment on what are matters for the states to decide. That in a nutshell is why Moore is so popular. Given the political climate, tearing down of Confederate statues and monuments, and the constant overreach of the Feds in state matters(religion and marriage), and the growing hatred in the South for all things and Progressive ideas from North of the Mason/Dixon Line, Moore is seen as a man that will fight like hell for the State of Alabama and Alabama concerns. Strange doesn't have that history going for him, at least in the same strident manner as Moore has exhibited.

Moore. What's the dilemma here?
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,650 Senior Member
    Here's moore pulling a gun at one of his rallies

[video=youtube_share;J4o14NnEfZU]

Hell yes.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,727 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Moore. What's the dilemma here?

I guess the dilemma is whether to send a Ladyfinger firecracker (Strange) or a MOAB (Moore) to D.C.

Regarding the 10 Commandments monument Moore had put in front of the courthouse, I've said it before. Judges, lawyers, alleged perpetrators, and some VERY FEW questionable cops have to walk past it into the courthouse, and the monument is construed as to creating a hostile work environment.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,045 Senior Member
    Although I am not a religious person, I'll take a bible-belt conservative before any left-wing, scum-sucking commie all day and any day of the week. His 10 Commandment stuff doesn't bother me in the least. After all, our laws are partially based in that.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,540 Senior Member
    Although I am not a religious person, I'll take a bible-belt conservative before any left-wing, scum-sucking commie all day and any day of the week. His 10 Commandment stuff doesn't bother me in the least. After all, our laws are partially based in that.

I would say that the greater majority of conservatives feel this way and I don't think that "Christianist" ideology is driving very many (if any) people away from the GOP.
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,254 Senior Member
    Isn't it a habit of the dummycraps to make up some silly pejorative and use it to paint broad brush strokes with, such as "teabagger"? How does Zorba's silly pejorative differ from that Saul Alinsky-esque tactic?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,575 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Isn't it a habit of the dummycraps to make up some silly pejorative and use it to paint broad brush strokes with, such as "teabagger"? How does Zorba's silly pejorative differ from that Saul Alinsky-esque tactic?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    You mean like dummycrap?
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,254 Senior Member
    Would you prefer demonrat?
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,662 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    Hell yes.

Hell, no. A responsible carrier does not flash his gun to make a point.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    horselips wrote: »
    A "No Moore" Republican is the same as a "Never Trump" Republican. Both neck deep in the establishment swamp. Both RINOs.

The worst Republican is a better choice than the best Democrat. Federal elections aren't about you, candidates, or issues, as much as they are about PARTIES. PARTIES win or lose elections, not individuals. The wining PARTY controls the Congressional leadership, the agenda, what bills are brought to a vote and what bills are quietly canned. The winning PARTY confirms or rejects judges, cabinet secretaries, and treaties - you get the idea.

If there is to be any advance of the pro-gun agenda, and any of a dozen other issues important to conservatives, the GOP must retain control of BOTH houses of Congress. It's a numbers game. If the GOP controls 0ver 50 Senate seats, we win, otherwise, your dislike of Moore translates directly into love for Schumer. I don't care if you disagree with that; Schumer, Trump, Pelosi, Ryan, Gorsuch, and everybody who is anybody in Washington knows it's true.

Get over yourself. This election is more important than your personal fear and loathing. It's about power. it's about control. It's about keeping a majority for the preferred PARTY. I suffered with voting for John McCain. I am grateful for his heroic service in the U.S. Navy, and for his steadfastness in obstructing the Obama agenda whenever he could. Nevertheless, for his current political duplicity, his willingness to cave with Democrats, for his support of Obamacare, I hate him. I voted against him in the primary. He won anyway. But when the election came around, I voted for John McCain. And given the choice of McCain or any Democrat, I would vote for McCain ... over and over again. Because to not, is to vote directly for a Schumer controlled Senate.

Those who like Moore will vote for him for that reason. Those who dislike Moore, like you Knitepoet, must vote for him for other reasons, chief among them, he is the lesser of 2 evils, any Democrat being, by definition, the worst case scenario for your state and your country.

So, I beg you, vote for Moore. To not do so, is to cutoff your nose to spite your face. And that only fools you. Moore's candidacy is not a big enough hill to die on, and if Moore is defeated, and in 2018 the Democrats end up with control, you'll be wishing you had voted in answer to a higher calling than yourself.

No truer words have been said on this forum. In these cases you don't get to be anal about your choice without grave repercussions. There's no comparing any Democrat with a republican. There is no compromise here>You cannot tweak this or rationalize it in any way. It's an "either-or" decision. To vote for any Democrat or anyone that has no chance to win is to personally hand your vote to Shumer and Nancy.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Hell, no. A responsible carrier does not flash his gun to make a point.
    :win:

And I wish more Christians were like you (and the many others here) - this is one of the MAIN reasons I hang out on this forum, its one of the few places I've found where one can have a reasonable discussion on topics like this! I was *SO* glad that the politics forum was reinstated for that very reason, where else can I have a meaningful conversation with people who don't necessarily agree with everything I say? And vice versa, blah, blah, blah, :blah:, and all that good feeling stuff! :hug:

Another way of putting this, I'm a Christian. That's where I worship. Those are my bedrock beliefs. BUT! When I vote I vote for the person that will defend my rights the best. Those rights include to worship where I want. But those rights include having a Constitution to live free under, and to include the right to keep and bear arms. The right to Speak my piece in public just as at home. Those rights also protect me from having my house searched arbitrarily and to not incriminate myself. But the biggest right I have is equal treatment under the law.

Also, I believe if everyone else doesn't have these same rights then something isn't right. It's not US against THEM, its US for each other. Now that's only within the borders and the Citizens and legal residents of this country. The rest of the world has to deal with their own problems. We are not the savior of all. That's God. We are but one country with our own set of laws to govern and live under within this country. OK I've said enough, you get my drift.
    The bottom line to all this is a majorty of Alabama has spoken. It makes no difference what the rest of us think or feel at this point.

I just pray it was the best choice.
2»