Home Main Category General Firearms

BP cartridge shooters- - - -gather round- - - - -

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
A friend on another forum has asked me to spread the word about a couple of rifles he's looking for. Both are a little on the scarce and pricey side, but he's looking for shooters, not safe queens. One is a Remington-Hepburn dropping block single shot in .38-55 or .45-70 and he's also looking for an 1895 Winchester levergun in .405 Win. (That was TR's favorite, wasn't it?) I did a little research on the Hepburn rifles, and it looks like they're rich boys' toys from some of the prices I saw!
Thanks in advance!
Jerry

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Yep. The .405 Win. in the 1895 was Teddy's favorite.

And the Hepburn in any chambering is really high priced for an original. IF he will settle for a new made one, then C. Sharps Arms can scratch his itch. They ain't cheap, either.

http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detail.php?product_id=40
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Yep, it looks like they just move that decimal point one place to the right for an original! Some of this guy's other toys are airplanes and BIG antique trucks. The 54 GMC 530 retired fire truck with the 503 cubic inch inline six that I drove to Kansas City a couple of years ago belongs to him!
    Jerry
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Ps the 405 is a smokeless cartridge.....
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,624 Senior Member
    Unless he's looking for an original, the 1895 is out there as a reproduction by Browning (Miroku)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,760 Senior Member
    A .38-55 Hepburn? He's welcome to the second one I come across! :jester:

C.Sharps on a modern reproduction is probably going to be his best bet on that; both from the viewpoint of price and simply being able to find one in the desired condition. The problem lies in that the Hepburn is a somewhat storied competition action, made in limited numbers, and the .38-55 is a truly wonderful target round. You'll probably have to step over a wall of bodies with your Platinum Card in your left hand and a katana in your right for a clean original in that chambering.

Nice thing about a repro as well is that you could get a faster twist rate for the 300 grain bullets that have become more popular in that chambering of late.

Depending on where his interests and abilities lie, he might do well to contemplate Marlin Ballards as well (somewhat less scarce and really fast on the locktime) or High Walls (new or old & REALLY strong). If the Hepburn has a negative, it's that it has ZILCH for camming ability to crack a sticky case out of the chamber. Have had some issues with that on my dad's C.Sharps .40-70 bottleneck. Granted, there's a lot going on with forming, trimming, and troubleshooting on that case, and a .38-55 or .45-70 is a straightwall with a lot less weirdness going on, but it's something to be aware of going in. The Hepburn's a match gun - period. Most of the others are likely to deal with the real world better.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    I think I know a Unicorn that owns both of those!!

There's a few RH's on GB, but no .38-55, and fewer original 1895's in .405.

There's one RH on GB in .45-70 that's in rough shape. One option would be to have it relined to .38-55 and restored/stocked. Not something you see often, and I can't remember ever seeing any I could put my hands on!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Well, Al, if you can't find one in some dusty backwoods gun shop, they probably don't exist!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    Pretty my local Cabelas has the 405. Easy way to search all of them..... go to guns international, search Cabelas Winchester 405. It'll show every stores library. They'll ship to a local store for $25 or ship to an FFL.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.