Home Main Category General Firearms

transfer fee

rberglofrberglof Senior MemberPosts: 2,771 Senior Member
I know in California you pay a transfer fee when you buy a firearm, in North Dakota you only pay one if you order a gun. If you buy direct from dealer they do not charge.
How many of you pay when you buy from a gun shop or gun show?

Replies

• Bill M.Bill M. Member Posts: 65 Member
    Not sure what you are talking about. Here (TN) if I buy from a dealer I have to pay a fee for the background check. Dealers will not do the transfer without it. We can sell owner to buyer without a dealer or a background check if both parties are state residents. At least I think that is still true.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,991 Senior Member
    Since I moved around a lot and always kept my FFL , if someone bought a gun from me I never charged a transfer fee, if a gun was shipped to me from another FFL I only charged $10.00

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,771 Senior Member
    Bill M. wrote: »
    Not sure what you are talking about. Here (TN) if I buy from a dealer I have to pay a fee for the background check. Dealers will not do the transfer without it. We can sell owner to buyer without a dealer or a background check if both parties are state residents. At least I think that is still true.

I have bought from gun shows and a few shops and they do not charge for the background check and yes like your state we can sell private party.
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    rberglof wrote: »
    I know in California you pay a transfer fee when you buy a firearm, in North Dakota you only pay one if you order a gun. If you buy direct from dealer they do not charge.
    How many of you pay when you buy from a gun shop or gun show?

My FFL charges $20.00 for a transfer fee.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,436 Senior Member
    I am only charged a transfer fee if I order a gun and have it shipped to my FFL, I am not charged if I buy a gun off the shelf or the LGS orders it for me, mine is currently charging $35 per item transferred.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,617 Senior Member
    Depends entirely where you live and how your LGS does business. I have seen transfer fees for ordered or on-line purchases range from $5.00 to $20.00. I have never paid a fee for or a background check....there is no cost associated with it and charging you for the couple of minutes they spend on the phone is a rip-off....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 22,202 Senior Member
    For face to face deals, there's no fee and my dealer (A Masonic Brother) charges me $20 for a single transfer and $35 if I have 2 orders/purchases come in at once.

Normal deal, I buy what I want off gunbroker/budsguns/cdnn etc, if they don't have my dealers FFL on file, I contact them the next business day and ask them to fax a copy of their FFL to ________ for order # _______ for my name. They do, they call me when it gets in, I go fill out the 4473 (No background check required since I have a current CCL) pay them their $20 and am on my merry way (Normally to go try it out)

Edited to add: $20 is the cheapest I know of around here, and a couple of places charge in the $45-50 PER TRANSFER :cuss:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,954 Senior Member
    Too variable to make a comment.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,528 Senior Member
    No fees here if purchased at a lgs, in stock. The 1 time I've bought online the local ffl charged $15. No background ck due to CC permit. No fee without a permit either.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,477 Senior Member
    In some states, it is my understanding that some states charge the FFL a fee for conducting the background check. (See below -California). In those instances, I could see a FFL passing on that fee to a customer even if the customer bought a firearm from them.

In my state, I have never been charged a transfer fee unless I bought the firearm elsewhere and had it shipped to them. Normally, an online purchase results in a transfer fee of about $25.

California Fee: https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    When purchasing from an FFL or taking delivery thru an FFL (Gunbroker or such out of state) where the firearm goes thru the FFL’s bound book I pay a transfer fee. My guy cuts me a deal at $10 for up to 4 which is half his normal $19 plus $5 per extra. Never paid for a NICS background check which is what NC uses and even then my CHP acts as a background for long guns and pistol purchase permit and NICS.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    All transfers are $6 in Colorado, regardless. Was 10 but they went down (all transactions require a check except immediate family members). Most places doing checks on ordered guns, charge around 30. My boss was until recently, an FFL so I had several shipped to work and he just ran em
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    I have ordered a few on line and the guy I go through charges me $15.00 and that is the same for multiples but have seen others charging $20 to $35.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I believe FLA FFLs can charge a max not to exceed $8 and that fee goes to the state. Now even if you have a CCW you still have to go through a BC, but no waiting period for handguns.

Some shops may and try to charge you more, but you should get a separate receipt it should say it is for a BC so the money goes where it is supposed to. I'm not sure if the FFL is allowed to keep any portion of it or not.

Not sure about Transfer fees because it varies from FFL to FFL. I wouldn't pay any exorbitant amount above the general going rate fer sure. Ask up front so there won't be any surprises.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    When I held an FFL in California, the state charged $35 for a BGC, and I charged another $25 for a dealer to dealer transfer. My business was primarily transfers, and my pricing was lower than the LGS. I filled a niche market and did pretty well for 5 years.

The guy I use up here charges $20 for dealer/dealer transfers.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL wrote: »
    When I held an FFL in California, the state charged $35 for a BGC, and I charged another $25 for a dealer to dealer transfer. My business was primarily transfers, and my pricing was lower than the LGS. I filled a niche market and did pretty well for 5 years.

The guy I use up here charges $20 for dealer/dealer transfers.

Question for you, when I bought guns from Big 5 the charge was $25 total and private transfer from my usual FFL charged me $25.
    How did the $35 for the state get paid?
    Southern Shooters in Tehachapi was higher, He wanted $35 to receive a hand gun $25 for transfer and I believe it was $15 to send copy of his FFL.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,617 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    . Only pay NICS fee. .

See? There it is again! There is no fee associated with using NICS so how in hell do you folks let them get away with charging you?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    rberglof wrote: »
    Question for you, when I bought guns from Big 5 the charge was $25 total and private transfer from my usual FFL charged me $25.
    How did the $35 for the state get paid?
    Southern Shooters in Tehachapi was higher, He wanted $35 to receive a hand gun $25 for transfer and I believe it was $15 to send copy of his FFL.

It's been a decade, so I may have the amounts reversed. $25 for the BGC and $35 for the transfer. Either way, the customer paid for the BGC. Total was $60 for the transfer.

If I sold a gun, there was only the BGC fee.

I understand why a dealer would charge more for a handgun transfer. All of the stupid requirements in California are so damn cumbersome.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

SIGgal wrote: »
    I don't know, it always says it right on the sales receipt. I was unaware NICS was free so never questioned it sadly

Are you sure it says "NICS" on the receipt?

California dealers use DROS (dealer record of sale). They do not use the NICS system at all.

Maybe Jersey uses something similar?

Adam J. McCleod

Not knowing, I just looked through all my firearms purchase receipts. They all show a $25 DROS Fee.

Yep, Dealer Record of Sale; AKA gun registration.

It's been so long I almost forgot about the wating periods, handgun safety certificates, DOJ approved handguns, etc.

You guys have ammo restrictions now?

Adam J. McCleod

TrueTone didn't they put components under the same law with ammo?
    Not yet...not that I'm aware of anyway.

Maybe it was just talked about but not put in.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,571 Senior Member
    Here in Washington State, I pay a transfer fee under either of two circumstances: 1) Transfer of a firearm from an out of state FFL dealer, or 2) Purchase of a firearm from a private citizen, which must be conducted at an FFL dealer's place of business. Either way, it's $30.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.