Anyone familiar with Lubbock, TX?

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 9,728 Senior Member
I have like a spare hour and half in town. Any decent gun or army surplus places around here?
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,551 Senior Member
    I was thinking that 41MagNut lived in Lubbock. SS3 might also be able to point you to some decent places to check out.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    Is there a Buddy Holly museum? That's where I'd go.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,417 Senior Member
    You won't find many steals if it hasn't changed much, but Sharpshooters has a huge inventory and you'll always run into something interesting. That's the only one I can think of as far as gun shops worth going out of your way for if you're from out of town.

Food wise I've never been to Cagle Steaks, but I ALWAYS make time for Caprock Cafe if I'm in town for more than 72 hours.

http://www.caprockcafe.com

The town has done a lot of growing since I resided there and these days you can find most typical big city attractions, especially those unique to Texas such as Chuy's and an Alamo Drafthouse. They even have a Cabelas now.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,728 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, time ran out and I had to run to the airport to catch the flight home. I hate these fly-in, fly-out days. No time to check out any local stuff.

Cagles and Cap Rock will be on my list for the next trip... along with driving in so I can check gun shops and maybe take something home.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,542 Senior Member
    My niece lives there, finishing up her doctorate in forensic psychology. Read that....spending all your time in prisons talking to sociopaths.

She opines that it's not much different inside from outside.

I've never been there. She may be a bit jaded.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
    Linefinder wrote: »
    My niece lives there, finishing up her doctorate in forensic psychology. Read that....spending all your time in prisons talking to sociopaths.

She opines that it's not much different inside from outside.

I've never been there. She may be a bit jaded.

Mike

I grew up less than 200 miles from Lubbock, and never found any fascination with it. If you like miles and miles of miles and miles of cotton, corn and milo, it's your kind of place.

There is one caveat, though. A LOT of sandhill cranes winter there, and they're supposed to be excellent table fare. They're even called "ribeye in the sky". There's probably some local outfitters that would be happy to hook you up. I think there's also a fair number of Canadian geese that winter there.
    Jerry

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    "Canada Geese..." A Canadian goose is something you get when you bend over in Montreal....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    "Canada Geese..." A Canadian goose is something you get when you bend over in Montreal....

Quit channeling Sam. It just doesn't fit.
    Jerry