Anheuser-busch beer !!

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,565 Senior Member
If you want to let A-B know how you feel about them supporting the NFL and the kneeling controversy call 800-342-5283 leave a message, I just did.

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 457 Member
    There's so many good beers around now. I wish boycotting would actually work and I don't understand the pbr thing that **** $5 and up now at a bar.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,174 Senior Member
    Yep...I never knew that many people had developed a taste for horse piss....to many great beers out there to drink any of that swill. PBR? Really? They still make that?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    Banned in our house. The guys here are more Yeungling drinkers and PBR as a back up.

Some folks have no shame, that is some piss poor swill they call beer.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    You surely wont get an argument from me, but they go through about 6 30 pack a week of the stuff.

They stop drinking on Sunday for detox? :tooth:
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    They still make it and it is quite popular around here, especially with college age people.

That explains it...their brains and taste buds aren't fully developed....
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,073 Senior Member
    Banned in our house. The guys here are more Yeungling drinkers and PBR as a back up.

I took six cases of Yeungling up to Wisconsin for my brother. You can't buy it up there. I posted a picture, I think in the show yourself thread, of my uncle helping me hoist up a bottle of PBR.............when I was two years old!! So I was raised and weaned on the stuff!! Can't stand Bud products, but it dominates here in the south.
    I usually bring back a couple cases of Point and Leinies from Wisconsin, and share most of it at the SE shoot, and have enough for a taste now and then during the year!

Found the picture! ry%3D480
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Well, at least it ain't Olympia!- - - -25 cents a can from the vending machines on most of the Air Force bases in Thailand!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,330 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Well, at least it ain't Olympia!- - - -25 cents a can from the vending machines on most of the Air Force bases in Thailand!
    Jerry
    Olies! Good stuff for what it is-- cheap, piss beer. Me and my brother went bar hopping in Valdez, AK and settled into this dive bar that had $1 Olies. Things got kind of wild, but we did save this dude from Ohio's life that was very close to becoming one with the bar room floor at the hand of a very large local native with a chip on his shoulder.

Good times!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,779 Senior Member
    I don't pretend to know much about beer - by my dad always talked about "Great Falls Select" from when we lived in Great Falls, Montana (I was 1 year old).
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Yep...I never knew that many people had developed a taste for horse piss....to many great beers out there to drink any of that swill. PBR? Really? They still make that?

PBR is right up there with Shafer Light on the crapola list.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 10,305 Senior Member
    PBR is popular with the UGA crowd here. I don't know why. I think it sucks, but most beers do. I like Shiner Bock, which goes down well.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,909 Senior Member
    You surely wont get an argument from me, but they go through about 6 30 pack a week of the stuff.

Probably because it's cheap.

One of my favorite beers when I drank was Sam Adams Boston Lager. I also love Guiness but it isn't really beer as such. It's a stout. Ok it's beer but not a traditional beer as most Americans like. Most Americans love piss water. Now I used to enjoy a cold Coors Light but it totally lacks body. Now most people think just because Guiness is black it contains a lot more alcohol. That's not always the case. Guiness is actually made with light malt which gives it its alcohol. But it's steeped in roasted barely which gives it its color, flavor, and fine head. But the roasted barley contributes almost nothing to the alcohol content.

One thing about light beers, they're made with the same light malt as a Budweiser or a even Boston Lager. The difference is they use less of the malt. In other words it's kind of watered down. But many people like their beer this way and the fact that it has less calories is also attractive. So it's a win win for the beer companies and the those buying their watered down swill. And the beer companies are making out like bandits and the average customer is happy.

Many whiskeys nowadays, Jack Danials chief among them, are like the light beer in that Jack Danials Regular black label is ony 40 % or 80 proof nowadays instead of being like it use to be, 45% or 90 Proof. They're cutting you 5% alcohol and charging you the same amount of money per bottle. Everybody mistakes the smoothness for a fine whiskey while instead it's just watered down more. Not that Jack isn't a good whiskey, it's just watered down more these days which makes it appear even smoother. That's how the proof is controlled. They just dilute it more to make it lower proof. You're just buying more water thinking you're getting smoother whiskey.

Actually whiskey comes off the still's make line at almost 100% alcohol, well around 180 proof. Most all whiskey is diluted with spring water to bring it down into a more drinkable range but some take it to the extremes to make more money and make people think their whiskey is smoother than the next guys. Jack still makes some higher proof booze, but you're going to pay for it. Folks like the people that make Wild Turkey and some other stouter whiskeys have always sold higher alcohol whiskeys and it's part of their reputation or selling point.

They do sort of the same thing with beer they just use less malt and more water. Same thing almost. Many people believe that the darker the malt, the stronger the beer. Maybe taste wise it's stronger, but alcohol wise light malt is more fermentable and will make more alcohol per volume. Why? Because when the malter is drying the malt in the kiln the darker malt is just burned more. It's cooked hotter or longer whatever browner. When they do this it carmelizes the malt. Carmelized malt is less fermintable. Light malt fermints easier or faster. The darker the malt the more carmelized it is. Some dark malts contribute very little alcohol to the brew. That's why Guiness is made with light malt then steeped in Roasted barley. Roasted barely isn't malt at all, it's just roasted dark in the kiln. To be malt it has to be soaked in water and left to almost sprout. When the barely has a hump in it's belly like it's pregnant it's malted. Roasted barley is not steeped in water before roasting. It's plain barley not malted barley. But remember, the light malt gives Guiness the alcohol, not the roasted barley.

Another shocker is in Ireland you think the Guiness is probably 7-8 % alcohol by volume. But if you believe that you'd be wrong. Irish Guiness is somewhere around 3.5 to 4% alcohol. Hell you say! Well for the Irish, life can revolve around the Pub. Contrary to popular belief, the Pub in Ireland isn't a hang out for drunks so much. It's more for the family. After Mass the family all goes to the pub. They play games such as cards and darts and they talk and even sing. Different families get together and enjoy the afternoon. It's a great family atmosphere. But the whole family drinks Guiness. The man, the wife, the kids.

That Guiness is not like Guiness brewed to be sold in America, which is around 5% like our Budweiser. Being that low of alcohol it is fit for the taste of women and the kids. Nobody actually gets drunk and the Guiness flows freely.

But consider the market for it here. Men here who do like it generally like it very stout. It's no way brewed for the family. It's considered a manly brew. Where I worked overseas, in Malaysia, they had Guiness Breweries and they brewed it to 8%. That was REAL stout. A couple of those will put you under the table.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Let me explain myself. I see beer as a rainbow. In that rainbow, all the piss water you have discussed so far fall into the yellow spectrum (like piss). In that yellow spectrum, I also group malt liquor. It may be a darker yellow, but the stuff is yellow. There are places and times that I do appreciate the color yellow, but I will not piss and moan on the exact shade. My shade of yellow is typically called "cheap". 30 packs of Hamms are on sale at my local grocery store for $11.49. I have been stocking that when I want to drink yellow. When working in Detroit, I try to do as the Romans and pick up a 40 of the cheapest malt liquor I can find (still yellow). Bud? Yellow. Busch? Yellow. Strohs? Yellow, but it used to be made in Detroit, so it is kind of cool. Olympia? Yellow. PBR? Yellow and it used to be a great cheap beer but those damn hipsters figured it out, and since then the price jumped 50%. Some other piss water gems are Old Style and Genesee out of NY.

"Lite" beer? Infrared. While it may be on the beer rainbow, I can't see it so it doesn't exist to me. I just ignore them. Why someone would intentionally drink something with less flavor and alcohol is beyond me.
    Oh, and do you see a Hamms commercial? Barely ever. I can't recall seeing one for years. A-B products? EVERYWHERE!!!! So where does that extra money you pay for the same, yellow piss water you buy go to? A bigass marketing budget! Why would I want to buy beer that blows millions on Superbowl ads? How much does that add to the cost of a can of beer?
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,694 Senior Member
    I started drinking Budweiser when I moved to East Texas, in 1972, and didn't graduate into better beer until I had nearly quit drinking it altogether, about 20 years ago. I used to buy it by the case, and make long chains out of the 'pull tops.' Now, I buy better beer by the six-pack (usually Shiner), and it lasts a month or more.

In 1972, you could not buy Coors anywhere east of Terrell, TX, which is an hour away from me. Coors was shipped cold, and would go flat, if it warmed up and you tried to re-cool it. The old original Coors was my choice, as a youth in west Texas, when quantity was more important than quality. It was cheaper and was not bitter, like Bud tastes to a beginner. There was no such thing as light beer, then, except Miller Lite, and I didn't like it at all, although regular Miller High Life was OK. Coors was OK if you started out with it, and kept it ice cold. Budweiser was an acquired taste, and I acquired it because that was what the folks I knew usually drank.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,565 Senior Member
    I only posted this so you could express your opinions as weather or not the players should stand during the National Anthem .

As far as beer is concerned I hate beer, cant stand the smell or taste, I dont think I've had more than 10 in my lifetime, with the exception of Stork Beer, brewed in Morocco from citrus rinds, tastes like orange juice, i drank a lot of them.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member
    Jerry

It was up to 40 cents a can when I was in.:jester:
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    PBR is not that bad ... when compared to Milwaukee’s Best or Beast depending on your choice of name. Heck, the young guy that just bought Hugh Hefner’s Playboy Mansion made a good chunk of his money thru PBR.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,706 Senior Member
    I was born and raised in Milwaukee and my mother actually retired from Pabst Breweries. I can say unequivocally that all the way to the late seventies, Pabst was the most popular beer in Milwaukee. I hated the stuff but mom got "employees beer" for .85 cents a case and it was drink that or buy your own. Pabst made a premium beer called Andecker that was much better but it was regional.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    I drank a couple Miller lites a few weekends ago.... because my family crushed all of MY beer and that's what was left. Promptly refilled the fridge with better stuff the next day.

The cheapest junk I buy is Modelo Negro, because my dad likes it.

I think most of you would mess your pants if you knew how much I have paid for beer before haha. Talking double digits for single bottles.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,601 Senior Member
    I was at an event a few nights ago that had some sort of beer made by Coors (it wasn't their regular brew). One of those drinking the stuff was a woman who has been living in London for a number of years, but is from upstate New York.

When I referred to it as Colorado Cool Aid, she laughed. Apparently, she had never heard it referred to in that manner.

I supposed I could have said it reminded me of two Indians making love in a canoe, but the company I was in was too polite for the follow up to that.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    As to the intent of the post and contacting AB InBev.... they won't care. It is NOT an American company anymore, it's a multi billion dollar international conglomerate. They would not even open the email unless they see more than a 10% drop in sales, which would equate to several million cases across all 50 states
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »

I supposed I could have said it reminded me of two Indians making love in a canoe, but the company I was in was too polite for the follow up to that.

Haha, love that joke
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Let me explain myself. I see beer as a rainbow. In that rainbow, all the piss water you have discussed so far fall into the yellow spectrum (like piss). In that yellow spectrum, I also group malt liquor. It may be a darker yellow, but the stuff is yellow. There are places and times that I do appreciate the color yellow, but I will not piss and moan on the exact shade. My shade of yellow is typically called "cheap". 30 packs of Hamms are on sale at my local grocery store for $11.49. I have been stocking that when I want to drink yellow. When working in Detroit, I try to do as the Romans and pick up a 40 of the cheapest malt liquor I can find (still yellow). Bud? Yellow. Busch? Yellow. Strohs? Yellow, but it used to be made in Detroit, so it is kind of cool. Olympia? Yellow. PBR? Yellow and it used to be a great cheap beer but those damn hipsters figured it out, and since then the price jumped 50%. Some other piss water gems are Old Style and Genesee out of NY.

"Lite" beer? Infrared. While it may be on the beer rainbow, I can't see it so it doesn't exist to me. I just ignore them. Why someone would intentionally drink something with less flavor and alcohol is beyond me.

I would not lump Old Style in that group, or at least elevate it to the top of the group. Colt .45 is not a bad brew either, at least last time I had it. I think G. Heilmann Brewing made both of these at one time and they made a good product back in the day.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I drank a couple Miller lites a few weekends ago.... because my family crushed all of MY beer and that's what was left. Promptly refilled the fridge with better stuff the next day.

The cheapest junk I buy is Modelo Negro, because my dad likes it.

I think most of you would mess your pants if you knew how much I have paid for beer before haha. Talking double digits for single bottles.

Dang, 99 cents fer one beer? :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,429 Senior Member
    Coors is made with Rocky Mountain spring water

Coors Lite- - - -IS Rocky mountain spring water!

Anybody remember the Coors commercial featuring the two ducks swimming in a high mountain lake, and how quickly it got pulled off the air when people started joking about drinking duck poop? That also reminds me of the comment by W.C. Fields- - - -"I never drink water- - - -fish fornicate in it!"
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    As to the intent of the post and contacting AB InBev.... they won't care. It is NOT an American company anymore, it's a multi billion dollar international conglomerate. They would not even open the email unless they see more than a 10% drop in sales, which would equate to several million cases across all 50 states
    As to the original post, this is how I feel, but, maybe some folks in the corporate offices are not happy with the kneeling and need a push.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Jerry,

I used to fish a bit in the creek right above Coors. Every time I did, I made it a point to add my own Rocky Mountain spring water. About the same color as the finished product
    Jerry

When I was in Korea (72-73) we had a small EM/NCO/Officers Club on our site. We made a weekly supply run down to Osan where we would fill the shopping list for the dispensary, PX and the Club. Beer was usually a pallet of Schlitz in cans that required a church key to open....in a time when "pop tops" were the thing. Foul, nasty stuff...this is when I developed my taste for hard liquor.....