Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Political TV/radio shows - whom do you tune in, and why?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
Which political radio or TV shows do you tune to (or not) and why? For me, I usually listen or watch to be entertained. I already know that Obama's a problem, most Democrats are a problem, and I support the 2A. So regularly hearing the same thing all the time is just preaching to the choir and not teaching me much.

For the entertainment, however, I do enjoy some conservative shows.

Rush Limbaugh is still the king. He's always dependable and I'll usually tune him in if I'm cleaning house or just driving around. He sometimes gets onto a long economic talk and I'll tune out, but other times he's very clever and has a humorous way to describe daily events.

Bill O'Reilly on Fox is the TV equivalent. His show is usually entertaining and offers some politically-bent laughs. I like Dennis Miller and enjoy the Thursday quiz contest, both funny. O'Reilly often overtalks his guests, which can be annoying -- he gets criticized for this a lot. Otherwise his show is pleasant, he has interesting guests and other features. He's a bit full of himself, especially when on topics pertinent to Roman Catholic tenets, but most all talkshow hosts have a personal axe to grind and you have to let them do it now and then.

Keeping odd hours, I try to watch Red Eye (2am CT on Fox) which is the funniest political show on TV, and there's always their obligatory "leg shot" of the cute female guest.

Once in a while I listen to Michael Savage but he often gets too much on a rant and starts yelling. I may agree with him in principle but he's not teaching me anything new. Lately of course he's got this political thriller novel (apparently a best seller) which is fine, but I cannot stand his reading from the book. From what he's read, the book isn't all that well written -- and not because it's "conservative" but simply not that good.

I rarely tune into other TV/radio political shows, mostly because I don't have the time to be distracted and I'm already on the team, so to say. We've got a local host, Mike Berry, whom I know personally and is quite funny, but his show isn't national so I'll skip him. I did enjoy his October "White History" month.

Howzabout you?

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,911 Senior Member
    Neil Boortz on radio
    Flip back and fourth between O'Reilly and Judge Napolitano on FOX Business Channel
    Hannity
    Greta Van Susteren

I'm a political-news junkie.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Limbaugh is a narcissistic blowhard, and O'Reilly is an obnoxious yamdankee. I like Glen Beck, and Sean Hannity.
    Jerry
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    I tire of the radio nut jobs.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    I tire of the radio nut jobs.

Me too. Only in small doses can I stand any of them. Sometimes while traveling late at night, I tune in to what's his name who got banned from England. Savage??????
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I like O'Reilly. I'll concede that he's way too full of himself, and talks over his guests way too much, but he at least tries to present a fair and balanced debate of a given issue. I wish, though, that he would let others have a little more say. If nothing else, let them expose themselves for what they really are.

I like Greta, but don't watch her very much. She at least lets her guests have their say.

To me, Hannity is the rudest, most obnoxious of the Fox News analysts. He usually stacks the deck against any liberal guests he has, and is worse than O'Reilly to talk over them.

I also like Neal Cavuto. He's supposedly a financial guy, but he covers a lot of political issues. He's one of my favorites.

I hardly ever list to talk radio any more, so I get Rush in very small doses.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Nobody........because I don't listen to radio.
  • blueslide88blueslide88 Member Posts: 273 Member
    I always like to watch Chris Wallace with his Fox interview/discussion show on Sunday mornings. He's an excellent interviewer.

O'Reilly's next, even with his ego mania, he does cover important topics of the day, and is informative. He and Trump had fun tonight teasing each other. Hannity is OK, but he's a bit boring.

I don't listen to radio, if I did, Limbaugh would be on my list, despite his pomposity.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    I don't watch them on television, nor do I listen to them on the radio. If it is news/talk radio, I listen to NPR occasionally. I normally don't watch television. Most of what information that I get is either from a newspaper or online. Some writers that I like are Peggy Noonan, Maureen Dowd, Thomas Friedman, Victor Davis Hanson, Steve Forbes, and Thomas Sowell.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I used to listen to Gordon Liddy, but then he got dumped off the local station. Now the only radio I listen to is news on the way to work and classic rock on the way home.

I don't even have satellite in my car...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    We do watch the CBS Sunday Morning show with Charles Osgood, if that counts...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I have been avoiding political commentary for the most part, for several months. I am weary of the 'talking points' arguments and the general repetitiveness. My politics are very simple, and I'm not much interested in the intricacies of 'formula' politics or the opinions of whichever 'expert' the lockstep media trots out to sell their agendas.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,046 Senior Member
    Boortz if I am not at work, and a local guy, Jeff Ward ( http://www.newsradioklbj.com/JeffWard/Home.aspx ) on the drive home.

I would LOVE to listen to music instead, but in an hour commute, you get maybe 2 songs, and then a rear end load of obnoxious DJs and crappy local ads.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 512 Senior Member
    I’ve been a news junkie for most of my life so I’m happy to jump in to this post. Thanks, samzhere, for a great topic.

The Sunday morning TV shows are important and I always try to catch Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace and This Week with Christiana Amanpour (mainly for George Will’s comments). Sometimes I will watch Meet The Press, depending on topic and guests. And who is on the panel. I think the panels are the best parts of all these shows. That’s where you learn a lot and it’s entertaining to watch the sparring between left and right. Like most of the network anchors and correspondents, Amanpour and David Gregory (Meet the Press) lean to the left but I think both actually try to see that the conservative view is presented.

Sometimes I will catch Sunday Morning on CBS. It’s a great magazine show and it depends on what is on the schedule that day as to whether I watch. I’m lucky with my cable system that, with reruns, I can watch all of these shows on Sunday. Overkill, I know, but once a news junkie, always a NJ. I’m blessed with an understanding wife.

I’m may have missed it but I haven’t see any mention on this post about Fox News’ “Special Report” with Bret Baier. It’s on Monday thru Friday at 6 p.m. in the east, probably too early for those of you in other time zones. My favorite part again is the panel in the second half of the hour, especially Charles Krauthammer, who I think is one of the smartest guys in Washington.

I like Neil Cavuto’s show on Fox, Greta, and sometimes O’Reilly. As has been said on this post, he is quite full of himself and sometimes just can’t sit back and listen. Yet he can be entertaining and often has good guests.

A new show on Fox is growing on me: The Five at 5 p.m. eastern. If you haven’t seen it, watch it a few times. Clever panelists, nice legs, and it’s fun to see four conservatives gang up on poor Bob Beckel. He’s very sharp and a good sport but is, of course, usually wrong.

On radio, I occasionally listen to Rush but he has become so predictable that it’s hard to stay with him. As an ex-radio announcer/DJ myself, I do say that he is a great entertainer and carries a lot of influence. Sometimes I will listen at night to Marc Levin, one of the smartest guys on the right, and he can be very funny. If I’m traveling and ever get a chance to listen to Dennis Prager or Michael Medved, I do and must say that they too are brilliant conservative voices.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,591 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I would LOVE to listen to music instead, but in an hour commute, you get maybe 2 songs, and then a rear end load of obnoxious DJs and crappy local ads.

I make my own CDs (Mp3 format, so I can really load them up) and just play them on my commute when I get tired of the radio. I highly recommend it. My CD player never plays a song I don't like, and there's no 'personality' to put up with.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • mkk41mkk41 Banned Posts: 1,932 Senior Member
    Can't stand talk radio!

Don't even like commercials.

If the radio's on , it's because I want music!
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    As I said, I don't listen to political talk radio for learning something -- not a lot to tell me other than "anyone but Obama". I listen for the entertainment value of the show. So I flip from Limbaugh to Savage to a local guy. And Jim Rome too.

And on TV I enjoy O'Reilly and especially Red Eye for the satire or humor, not precisely for political insight.

As far as CDs, yeah, of course. FM radio really doesn't play what I want to hear, so I've got a couple of CD carriers that I refill as desired from my fairly large CD collection at home. I've got maybe 30 full length opera CD albums, 200 classical otherwise, 100 classic rock, and maybe 50 jazz.

As far as making my own CDs, from what? The music I want is already on the CD in the first place.

My CD carrier might have, all mixed in, a Mozart opera, Mozart concertos, Bach, Beethoven, Stones, Dylan, Cray, Steely Dan, Marcia Ball, ZZ Top, Dire Straits, and some jazz. I sing along to the operas so it's best that I play those CDs while alone.

I guess my radio vs CD is about 50-50. But this thread is about political radio/TV so anyway.
  • lightkeeperlightkeeper Member Posts: 168 Member
    My favorite is Dennis Miller. Smart,conservative, involved in veterans causes and with lines like " Nancy Pelosi is always angree because she's still mad that the house fell on her sister" he cracks me up as well as giving food for thought.
    Greg Gutfeld from Red Eye on The Five does the same on tv.
    Most of us aren't always up late enough to watch Red Eye but it's one of the most genuinely funny political shows on TV, conservative, and has at least one requisite cute girl.

Re. Bill O'Reilly, I put him in the same general category as Limbaugh -- no I don't always agree but the show is entertaining.

Incidentally, did anyone see the lengthy interview Greta did with Rush, Wednesday I think it was? Rush wasn't pompous and he gave one of the best reports on the current political scene I've heard.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    I generally don't watch or listen to any of them.

Either they're actually bringing up points and issues that make my blood boil and drive up my blood pressure, or they're ranting about something I just don't care about or proselytizing themselves, and I find it horribly annoying.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    I can't stand Rush or Savage and Beck is a huge downer anymore. The local guys here are pretty good, so that is who usually gets my listening time. Of them, Charlie Sykes is my go-to guy. As for music, when that is what I want, I bring my own...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,632 Senior Member
    Heard a new guy this past week that I enjoyed. Pat Campbell is in OK, (Tulsa I thought) and he covered for Sykes this week along with a former local dude by the name of James T. Harris. Both were outstanding. Check them out if you get a chance.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    Sam, I don't intensionally tune in to political stations, but if I happen to come across one, I will listen to it for a while and up to a point. I have arrived at a foregone conclusion many many moons ago. The conclusion is ( as far as I am concerned) that all politicians lie,cheat,steal,etc., and whatever. I don't alway agree or disagree with what I read and hear. It is somewhat entertaining to listen sometimes to the rhetoric that is being spewed now a days. If I may be so bold to use a quote from one of the Star Wars Movies: "Just because a person can speak,doesn't make them intelligent." I have adapted that quote as one of my many quotes. Opinions are just that opinions and everyone has one. Like ya said Sam, listen for entertainment value yes, educational value not much.
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    We do watch the CBS Sunday Morning show with Charles Osgood, if that counts...

It ought to! Sensible commentary minus the omnipresent personality factor!
    robert, I agree with you re. the politicians being dishonest or whatever.

I think that the point I was making for myself at least is that I don't really get much in the way of genuinely helpful political commentary out of the radio/TV shows -- I mean, I've been a conservative Republcan all my life (my first presidential vote was for Goldwater) and no show is going to either 1-change my mind, or 2-provide me with more info that I'm dying to have.

So why I tune in is mostly for the entertainment value. And that gets old quickly. But I do listen to Limbaugh about once a week because he's clever and makes me smile. Not all the time, just enough for me to tune in while driving or in the shower or whatever. Same goes for Michael Savage unless he's deep into a rant.

O'Reilly also. Not for him, actually, but for the variety of guests, especially Dennis Miller on Wednesdays and the funny News Quiz on Thursdays. And yeah, I know O'Reilly's pushy and talks over his guests but he's still clever.

And Red Eye is usually a hoot, if I'm up that late.

So for me it's not the politics but for the politically-slanted entertainment that I listen or watch.
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    robert, I agree with you re. the politicians being dishonest or whatever.

I think that the point I was making for myself at least is that I don't really get much in the way of genuinely helpful political commentary out of the radio/TV shows -- I mean, I've been a conservative Republcan all my life (my first presidential vote was for Goldwater) and no show is going to either 1-change my mind, or 2-provide me with more info that I'm dying to have.

So why I tune in is mostly for the entertainment value. And that gets old quickly. But I do listen to Limbaugh about once a week because he's clever and makes me smile. Not all the time, just enough for me to tune in while driving or in the shower or whatever. Same goes for Michael Savage unless he's deep into a rant.

O'Reilly also. Not for him, actually, but for the variety of guests, especially Dennis Miller on Wednesdays and the funny News Quiz on Thursdays. And yeah, I know O'Reilly's pushy and talks over his guests but he's still clever.

And Red Eye is usually a hoot, if I'm up that late.

So for me it's not the politics but for the politically-slanted entertainment that I listen or watch.

That pretty well sums it up for me too Sam, Thanks!
    "It is what it is":usa: