Ok legit gun control debate

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,562 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    Nearly 500 Gabbie Giffords.

Maybe not. Country music concert likely has gun owners and *maybe* they understand more than the victim card.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That is the same argument liberals use to say 2A is about muskets.
    The 2A is absolutely about military muskets with bayonet. It was the state of the art assault weapon. The current state of the art assault weapon would be a selective fire AR type rifle. Semi auto would in most situations be good enough but a SAW or M-60 as back-up could be useful.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,261 Senior Member
    Think about the wailing victims that would be screaming at the top of their lungs if he had managed to shoot up the rap "concert" that he scouted instead of the country music one!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Maybe not. Country music concert likely has gun owners and *maybe* they understand more than the victim card.
    Fixed it. Some idiot libtard on another forum posted that all country music fans are Republicans, so good riddance. These people are bat scat insane!!!
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,053 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    The 2A is absolutely about military muskets with bayonet. It was the state of the art assault weapon. The current state of the art assault weapon would be a selective fire AR type rifle. Semi auto would in most situations be good enough but a SAW or M-60 as back-up could be useful.
    Their argument is that when they wrote the Second Amendment, the founding fathers had muskets in mind (the technology of the day) and never would have allowed evil black rifles. Saying that by foot and horseback satisfies the liberty to travel because it was the existing technology of the founding fathers' day and they never envisioned automobiles and airplanes (therefore there is no right) is a similar argument.

Like I said, I used to believe that it was a privilege. Now? Not so much. It seems more like a right to me, that we let slip away.
    Teach wrote: »
    Think about the wailing victims that would be screaming at the top of their lungs if he had managed to shoot up the rap "concert" that he scouted instead of the country music one!
    Jerry
    At least the C-rap "artists" and fans are fairly proficient at culling their own herd with bullets and drugs.
    Their argument is that when they wrote the Second Amendment, the founding fathers had muskets in mind (the technology of the day) and never would have allowed evil black rifles. Saying that by foot and horseback satisfies the liberty to travel because it was the existing technology of the founding fathers' day and they never envisioned automobiles and airplanes (therefore there is no right) is a similar argument.

Like I said, I used to believe that it was a privilege. Now? Not so much. It seems more like a right to me, that we let slip away.
    Yes. We have a right to freedom of travel by any means inside and outside our nation. The privilege is operating motor vehicles and aircraft which can be a danger to other people. The no fly list applied to US citizens is Constitutionally illegal lacking adjudication and the right to appeal. I'm confident our founding fathers were aware of the future.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,543 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Weak-ass people who think the government owns things are those who think he government "gives" us rights, too.

Jump the fence at a military base and when the SP's show up, just tell them that it's ok, you're one of the owners. As for people that have a grasp about what the government has control over thinking that we only have rights that the government gives us, well anyone that thinks that is likely young and clueless.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    When they wrote the Second Amendment, the founding fathers had military weapons in mind.
    john9001 wrote: »
    When they wrote the Second Amendment, the founding fathers had military weapons in mind.

Leonidas and the Spartans had swords and shields- - - -the Minutemen had Brown Bess muskets- - - - -we should be able to have select-fire M4's!

e95c0dd939df773a12c4910b0b9cb527.jpg

Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,771 Senior Member
    That is the same argument liberals use to say 2A is about muskets.

Didn't used to be a privilege, but there were a LOT of toll roads if you wanted to travel from point A to point B by foot, horse, or wagon. Then the government got in the road building business with the Post Roads for the Post Office. And everybody used them. And the government built more roads that WEREN'T post roads to increase commerce, and everybody used them. And subsidized the railroads to get them to build rail lines. And then cars made the scene, and after the first few wrecks, the states started that licensing thing, and our ancestors went along with it. Then the state and fed governments started taking land by eminent domain for roads and rail lines, and the people went along with it. And then individual counties within a state did the eminent domain thing to build roads, and cities the same. And pretty soon the feds, states, counties, and cities owned ALL the roads and made the rules on who could drive on them and the licensing of drivers and licensing of vehicles. And the people went along with it.

Travel by air is pretty heavily regulated by the Feds. That's also something folks went along with, too. Ships, yachts, and small craft, same thing. States and feds made rules and enforced them and people went along with it.

There were some pretty drastic gun control laws after the Civil War and long before the '34 NFA mess from the gangster shootings. People went along with the NFA. People went along with GCA 1968. I was too young to vote and couldn't vote against the traitors. If treason against the Constitution and the United States meant anything, there would be a waiting list for the gallows between the Washington Monument and the Reflecting Pool. But there isn't. Why is that? I could answer but no one would like it. Has to do with a Constitutional Republic and an Imperial Republic.

We don't have a lot of choice on gun control. We elect representatives that go to D.C. supposedly to represent us. A very small percentage do try, and some more than others. The others belly up to the hog trough and skim all the graft and corruption they can and don't give a tinker's damn for their so called constituency, and the damned fool constituency keeps reelecting the filthy hogs. No one should have to wonder why the mess is the way it is. Just look at how we got here; by acquiescence to whatever our government 'masters' foist on us. And we say, "Please sir, may I have some more?"
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    john9001 wrote: »

Heck, in that time period many of the Colonists had the Pennsylvania Long Rifles which was actually a better musket than the smooth bore Brown Bess. The frame of mind the Founding Fathers were in I believe was the citizen need to be armed as needed to make sure the government can’t make subjects of citizens again ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Jump the fence at a military base and when the SP's show up, just tell them that it's ok, you're one of the owners. As for people that have a grasp about what the government has control over thinking that we only have rights that the government gives us, well anyone that thinks that is likely young and clueless.

Military bases/compounds/fortifications aren’t the same as public roadways. Publicly funded, but not publicly accessible (without credentials). This is understood as being necessary for the security of the base and safety of untrained persons. I don’t demand access to military bases simply because my tax dollars pay for it.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,102 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    News are already quoting one country music “star” that changed his mind about the 2A after he got shot at. Doesn’t surprise me. The current crop look/sound like the millennials they are...

Who said it so I can barrage their social media with berating comments? Also so I know who to stop listening to.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    While I strongly agree, let us not forget that the right is just as bad.

I strongly agree that the right has its own tricksters and liars, but I don't equate them as equals. The Republicans have become what they are in reaction to radicals of the left, and the party is fractured badly. The fact that they do not march in lockstep with their leadership is proof that they have not all sold out. Not so with the Democrats, who never go off the reservation without the leadership's blessing.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    "shall not be infringed."

I don't think there's any other way to interpret that than free of any and all restrictions. To say there's no way the authors could see the new technology of the future is beyond obsurd. It's clearly worded to convey precise intent.

The above is in response to the subject in general.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    BLACK RIFLE COFFEE VIDEO

BAD LANGUAGE SO BE WARNED

DO NOT OPEN
    AT WORK
    OR
    WITH KIDS PRESENT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYVqmBaqgPU
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 375 Member
    A bump fire stock is essentially a loose fitting stock, lose along the horizontal axis that is. How does one regulate looseness without outlawing all collapsible stocks?

They cant. That's how they will start the ball rolling on complete ban of AR15's. Eliminate all the evil parts until you get down to the receiver. That will be outlawed because you can add parts too it. There is, like said, no common sense gun control. They know that bad guys will always have guns, and they are ok with that. They consider murderers, bank robbers and all criminals who use a gun in commission of crime as victims. If the gun lobby contributes to the political right, they will have a stronger voter base and more compatible during elections. Its a form of rebellion that the democraps cant tolerate one bit and to squash it, they need to eliminate guns.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,835 Senior Member
    And....as soon as they figure out you don't need a bump fire stock to bump fire an AR....it kinda narrows down the target, doesn't it....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,054 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I strongly agree that the right has its own tricksters and liars, but I don't equate them as equals. The Republicans have become what they are in reaction to radicals of the left, and the party is fractured badly. The fact that they do not march in lockstep with their leadership is proof that they have not all sold out. Not so with the Democrats, who never go off the reservation without the leadership's blessing.

That's because if they don't toe the line, the party threatens to primary them when they're up for re-election. Why else would they spout almost the same verbiage when talking about any democrat subject?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    if they don't toe the line, the party threatens to primary them when they're up for re-election.

That tactic seems to work well- - - -looks like it's time to go RINO hunting in 2018!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    That tactic seems to work well- - - -looks like it's time to go RINO hunting in 2018!
    Jerry

Corker says he isn't running for reelection. Might be that he could get booted and charged for insider trading from info he learned in the Commerce and Finance Committee. And the NY Times has released a recording of a day or two ago in which that sorry excuse for a Senator, Bob Corker, seriously bad mouthed Trump. Might need to get some mailings to our slightly squishy governor urge him to recall Corker the Porker and appoint Marsha Blackburn in his place. She's already announced she's running for his seat, and she's a little female pit bull of a conservative, too.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,481 Senior Member
    So far, the gun control push by the Dems hasn't been a winner for them. I think they don't understand the hearts and minds of the majority of American voters.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    And....as soon as they figure out you don't need a bump fire stock to bump fire an AR....it kinda narrows down the target, doesn't it....

Just watched a video about an hour ago. Bump firing a semiauto AK is also very doable. Just requires a slightly different hold on the stock, and the 'booger hook' is in a different position. But it works all too well. Looks like a LOT of semiautos may be vulnerable.

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,587 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    So far, the gun control push by the Dems hasn't been a winner for them. I think they don't understand the hearts and minds of the majority of American voters.
    Sadly it's not the majority. We are definitely in the minority. Difference is intensity. We have maybe 10% of the population that are hard core 2A defenders who use it as a major part of their voting decisions and maybe another 20-25% who generally support the 2A but it's only one of many issues they care about. They have maybe 1-2% who really care strongly about gun control. The rest don't care that much one way or another. They may mildly care about gun control, but it's not all that important to them. They may make a post occasionally on social media when something like this happens, but it doesn't move the needle in the voting booth.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    tennmike wrote: »
    Corker says he isn't running for reelection. Might be that he could get booted and charged for insider trading from info he learned in the Commerce and Finance Committee. And the NY Times has released a recording of a day or two ago in which that sorry excuse for a Senator, Bob Corker, seriously bad mouthed Trump. Might need to get some mailings to our slightly squishy governor urge him to recall Corker the Porker and appoint Marsha Blackburn in his place. She's already announced she's running for his seat, and she's a little female pit bull of a conservative, too.

I hope so. I like Marsha Blackburn, because she has "the right stuff."
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Sadly it's not the majority. We are definitely in the minority. Difference is intensity. We have maybe 10% of the population that are hard core 2A defenders who use it as a major part of their voting decisions and maybe another 20-25% who generally support the 2A but it's only one of many issues they care about. They have maybe 1-2% who really care strongly about gun control. The rest don't care that much one way or another. They may mildly care about gun control, but it's not all that important to them. They may make a post occasionally on social media when something like this happens, but it doesn't move the needle in the voting booth.

I don't know if your percentages are correct or not, but it seems to be working so far. An interesting figure to know would be the amount of members there are in all of the gun rights groups, since they are probably the most adamant and vocal of the gun owners in this country.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,587 Senior Member
    I don't know if your percentages are correct or not, but it seems to be working so far. An interesting figure to know would be the amount of members there are in all of the gun rights groups, since they are probably the most adamant and vocal of the gun owners in this country.
    NRA claims 5M members. If we include all organizations we maybe get to double or triple that? Still less than 5% of the population. But we're well organized and passionate. Thank goodness our constitution is designed to protect minorities like us from the oppression of the majority.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member

Well, then...most folks must just know, instinctively, that the left is lying about nearly everything, else the Dems would never lose an election. They don't vote Republican because they like them - they just know that voting for Democrats is a vote against everything they grew up believing.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,260 Senior Member

Does it hurt when you pull these "facts" out of your ass?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician