Ok legit gun control debate

1234568»

Replies

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,569 Senior Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Military bases/compounds/fortifications aren’t the same as public roadways. Publicly funded, but not publicly accessible (without credentials). This is understood as being necessary for the security of the base and safety of untrained persons. I don’t demand access to military bases simply because my tax dollars pay for it.
    I'm going to try simplification. If property is owned by the government it is owned by the US citizens who are the government. US government agencies manage the property. Of course much of this property has restricted public access for reasons such as security, safety, and environmental impact.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,587 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Does it hurt when you pull these "facts" out of your ass?
    Travel outside of Alabama, talk to people who are younger than 50 and live in blue states or big cities. Hilary Clinton won 3-4 Million more votes than Trump. Obama won 2 elections. We are far from the majority. As long as we wrongly think we are we will lose. Only 36% of Housholds even own guns and that doesn't include wives who don't care or fuds who just hunt and people who inherited gradpa's old gun and have never shot it. Up until a few years ago my parents who are largely anti gun would have fallen into the "own a gun" category because they had grandpa's old single shot .22.

Btw while Obama might have been the greatest gun salesman in history, Trump may do a ton to save our gun rights. Not by anything he does, but by scaring liberals and minorities into buyin guns. I will be perfectly honest I am gun owner partially because GW Bush scared the bejeezus out of me!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,587 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to :tooth:

Hillary won the popular vote sure, but I'm still convinced you can account for that by the votes from illegals (over 10 million in the country) and Obama had the blind faith of the rust belt, which is now dead for the dems. Firearms may not be the TOP issue in most Americans minds but it is never less that 2nd or 3rd. MANY union guys that are disfranchised with the Dems come from a HEAVY firearm culture and the more you screw around with guns the more it becomes a pressing issue with them. After the last AWB the Dems took a BEATING in the House that they have never recovered from and many guys barely holding on to their seats have not forgotten.

We will have to give up bump stocks as a token, and forget getting rid of the BATF oversight on suppressors for a bit but little more if anything else will happen. The gun culture in this country is MUCH bigger than the NRA and all other organized firearms organizations combined. I would probably guess that for every NRA member there are 10 guys that won't bother joining but they WILL vote with guns in their mind...
    Among gun owners you are probably mostly right, and the Dynamics you mention we're absolutely important, but the number of households who own guns has been dropping, not increasing and is well below 50%. Basically more old guys are dying off than young people picking up the hobby. That alone IMHO is the greatest threat to our rights long term. The panic around Obama helped a bit to engage some new younger shooters, but mostly among people who largely we're already raised pro gun or around guns.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,774 Senior Member
    Among gun owners you are probably mostly right, and the Dynamics you mention we're absolutely important, but the number of households who own guns has been dropping, not increasing and is well below 50%. Basically more old guys are dying off than young people picking up the hobby. That alone IMHO is the greatest threat to our rights long term. The panic around Obama helped a bit to engage some new younger shooters, but mostly among people who largely we're already raised pro gun or around guns.

You're missing two groups that probably don't belong to the NRA, GOA, or other pro gun groups. Working around D.C. I'd guess you've heard of two of them, the III%ers and the Oath Keepers. They are active and former military, and active and former cops. There are millions of them. Both are extremely pro-gun and pro-Constitution. They are a pretty conservative bunch, and are nationwide, too. Both groups take that 'enemies foreign and domestic' seriously.

Better check your figures on households with guns. I think you got some bum data. And you KNOW that a poll can be skewed in many ways. Someone may have 50 guns and deny owning any to a pollster. I don't have any, myself; traded them in for tactical nukes! :roll2:

A study that shows gun ownership on the rise:

http://news.gallup.com/poll/150353/Self-Reported-Gun-Ownership-Highest-1993.aspx
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,260 Senior Member
    Travel outside of Alabama, talk to people who are younger than 50 and live in blue states or big cities. Hilary Clinton won 3-4 Million more votes than Trump. Obama won 2 elections. We are far from the majority. As long as we wrongly think we are we will lose. Only 36% of Housholds even own guns and that doesn't include wives who don't care or fuds who just hunt and people who inherited gradpa's old gun and have never shot it. Up until a few years ago my parents who are largely anti gun would have fallen into the "own a gun" category because they had grandpa's old single shot .22.

Btw while Obama might have been the greatest gun salesman in history, Trump may do a ton to save our gun rights. Not by anything he does, but by scaring liberals and minorities into buyin guns. I will be perfectly honest I am gun owner partially because GW Bush scared the bejeezus out of me!

I grew up in Colorado, lived outside LA for 10 years, 5 years in Vegas, 3 yrs in NJ, been to about 40 states. I live here cause CA was a shithole to raise kids in. I don't think you're qualified to lecture me about the diversity of this country.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • DanoobieDanoobie Member Posts: 95 Member

The question I have is is there any balance to be struck? Should there be? I am honestly not sure.

How about if we ask the crowd who was at the concert how THEY feel about "gun control" now? Vegas is a betting town,
    and my money is on most survivors from that debacle who didn't have a gun before the concert have one now. I'd bet they
    are all sleeping with a gun under their pillow.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Danoobie wrote: »
    How about if we ask the crowd who was at the concert how THEY feel about "gun control" now? Vegas is a betting town,
    and my money is on most survivors from that debacle.................

Not much chance of asking the ones that did not survive.
    ........... I'd bet they
    are all sleeping with a gun under their pillow.

My bet is not many are sleeping much, if at all.

You have obviously been up to your neck in muck and bullets sometime in your life.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• DanoobieDanoobie Member Posts: 95 Member
    shush wrote: »
    Not much chance of asking the ones that did not survive.

Well, 19,940 survived, 60 died, so yes, out of all the people, total, at the concert, we won't be able to ask the
    .3% that died.(That's 3 out of a thousand.) IF they were all for gun control, we still have quite a bit of polling to do...
    ................... IF they were all for gun control, we still have quite a bit of polling to do...

Spot on, old bean.

PS.
    Just so we know;

old bean
    phrase of bean

British informal dated
    a friendly form of address to a man.

One is not bypassing the autocensor.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    cuz if you were, you would be a has bean.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

'Aricot to you guv'nor.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,481 Senior Member

If bad jokes were grounds for being banned, you would be gone. :jester:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,461 Senior Member
    At least they are not canned half baked jokes.

Or if its grounds, we could have coffee.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
1234568»